╌>

A Look at the 'Sober Monitors' Now Rreqired at All UVA Frat Parties

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  16 comments

A Look at the 'Sober Monitors' Now Rreqired at All UVA Frat Parties

A Look at the 'Sober Monitors' Now Required at All UVA Frat Parties

Fraternities and sororities at the University of Virginia must now have "sober monitors" at their parties and beer kegs and mixed drinks will be forbidden, according to new rules decreed by University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan.

Sullivan said that all recognized social groups must sign an agreement before Jan. 16 pledging to follow the new rules. Only then, she said, will the university lift the ban on parties that was put in place in response to a November 2014 Rolling Stone Magazine article about an alleged lack of response by the university to sexual assaults.

The Rolling Stone article centered on a woman named Jackie who claimed she was gang raped at a fraternity party in 2012 and the article made assertions that the university did not do enough to address sexual assault on campus. But the veracity of Jackie's allegations have since been questioned and the magazine was criticized for poor fact checking.

I believe the new safety measures recommended by the student leaders in the Greek community will help provide a safer environment for their members and guests," Sullivan said in a statement issued Tuesday.

The new rules say a minimum of 3 brothers must be 'sober and lucid' at each fraternity function. Sober and lucid is defined as a brother acting without influence of any substance. And a section of the agreement entitled "Eliminating Discomfort and Chaos allowed for a sober monitor to check the door at smaller parties, but for larger parties, frats must hire security guards to do guest check ins.

Kent L. Gardner, the executive director emeritus of the Order of Omega, a fraternity and sorority leadership organization that has a chapter on the UVA campus, said the new rules are a step in the right direction.

Will they stop every kind of bad behavior?" he asked. Probably not, but these are the kind of rules you put into place that help young people make better decisions and limit their bad decisions.

Gardner added that many of the rules are ideas that have been implemented at other schools throughout the country. He said he was also heartened by the fact the guidelines would apply to all 700 social organizations on campus, not just fraternities and sororities.

Frat parties can still serve beer but only in unopened cans, according to the new rules. Mixed drinks are now forbidden. Wine is still allowed, but must be poured by one of the designated sober monitors.

The UVA statement outlined other new safety measures that will be put into place later this month, including a new police substation and increased security patrols, as well as better lighting and more cameras throughout the campus. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/sober-monitors-now-required-uva-frat-parties/story?id=28061306

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Frat parties can still serve beer but only in unopened cans, according to the new rules. Mixed drinks are now forbidden. Wine is still allowed, but must be poured by one of the designated sober monitors.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
When will the students be treated as adults now? After graduation?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

When will the students be treated as adults now? After graduation?

First, when they act like adults or at least when they turn 21.

Second, when they are not breaking the law. This is underage drinking.

Finally, there is just as much drinking going on in the dorms. There has not been one time I have gone to my daughter's school and not seen kids being taken away by ambulance for intoxication. The schools really need to crack down on all of this.

Nona62
Professor Silent

OMG...that's scary!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

How sad.....such a great future ahead of her. These things should be publicized more to try to lessen these incidents.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago
I think it's safe to assume that she is not typical. There's obviously a lot of partying that goes on, but most kids get through it. I partied my dick off, almost everyone on my floor of the dorm did as well.

Personally, I would rather take a bullet than hang out in the Greek houses. That's just me though. One of my step sons was the president of his fraternity, which worked out very well for him, but he wasn't your typical aimless frat boy either. He hardly drank, and came out of the closet after graduation, so his priorities were clear - and they weren't about banging chicks and getting wasted. My other step son is a partier and a senior in college, but he will be graduating with a 3.5+ gpa in biomedical engineering, and his girlfriend keeps him in line too.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I would hope that the rampant partying would not be typical!! That's great news about your step sons. Best of luck to them! Smile.gif Smile.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago
I think maturity and a sense of responsibility have a lot to do with how a freshman deals with their new surroundings. Overly strict parents, and overly coddling parents aren't doing their kids any favors, because the new found freedom of college is more welcomely exploited for those kids. Some of these kids have never had a sense of independence, and some have never even had a part time job to earn what they need to entertain themselves, or put gas in the car, or pay their car insurance, etc. All the sudden they are in a position where nobody is making them get up for school, or waiting up for them to get home at night. Some teenagers are certainly more difficult than others to trust to do the right thing, but any kid who is going off to college needs to be given a period of independence prior to leaving for college. Parenting ain't easy, that's for sure - but you gotta cut the cord before it gets cut for you.

Nona62
Professor Silent

but you gotta cut the cord before it gets cut for you. Couldn't have said it better!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
How is this underage drinking? I drank legally in college. Did I miss something in the article?

Nona62
Professor Silent

In Illinois he legal drinking age is 21.