╌>

Angry divorcée refuses $974M check from billionaire oil tycoon

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  24 comments

Angry divorcée refuses $974M check from billionaire oil tycoon

Angry divorce refuses $974M check from billionaire oil tycoon

Now thats rich!

A jaw-dropping photo reveals the handwritten $974.8 million divorce settlement check rejected as too skimpy by the ex-wife of a billionaire oil tycoon.

Sue Ann Arnall, 56, scoffed at the jackpot-size payout from former hubby Harold Hamm CEO of the energy company Continental Resources demanding more money because he was allowed to keep the bulk of his $13.5billion fortune.

The check, penned in bubbly handwriting, was made out for a mind-numbing $974,790,317.77 on Monday. The couple was married for 26 years.

The sky-high sum was delivered to Arnalls legal team on Tuesday, but was promptly turned away, according to Hamms lawyer, Michael Burrage. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/07/angry-divorcee-refuses-74m-check-from-billionaire-oil-tycoon/?intcmp=latestnews

Ms. Arnall, through her counsel, stated that they were rejecting the ... payment because Ms. Arnall did not want to risk the dismissal of her appeal by acceptance of the benefits, Burrage said in a statement on Tuesday.

Arnall plans to appeal a November divorce court ruling that granted her $995million, along with other assets worth tens of millions more, such as a California ranch and an Oklahoma home, her legal team said at the time

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Send it to me, I won't reject it!!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

Da beatch just wants revenge ...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Yes she does...I certainly wouldn't turn it down!!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I expect her lawyer was disappointed by her decision ...

Miss_Construed
Freshman Silent
link   Miss_Construed    9 years ago

I doubt it... half of 13 B is a lot more than ~1B... and what do high price divorce lawyers get? 10%? more?

Miss_Construed
Freshman Silent

I think they are considered residents of Oklahoma... OK divorce law on equitable distribution is:

Since Oklahoma is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

The court shall enter its decree confirming in each spouse the property owned by him or her before marriage and the undisposed-of property acquired after marriage by him or her in his or her own right.

As to such property, whether real or personal, which has been acquired by the parties jointly during their marriage, whether the title thereto be in either or both of said parties, the court shall, subject to a valid antenuptial contract in writing, make such division between the parties as may appear just and reasonable, by a division of the property in kind, or by setting the same apart to one of the parties, and requiring the other thereof to be paid such sum as may be just and proper to effect a fair and just division thereof. The court may set apart a portion of the separate estate of a spouse to the other spouse for the support of the children of the marriage where custody resides with that spouse. (Oklahoma Statutes - Title 43 - Sections: 121)

I heard this guy had the company prior to marriage, so he may get more than half... but 26 years of marriage is a lot of joint equity to split when you're worth is 13.5B.... just saying

About OK laws

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I doubt it... half of 13 B is a lot more than ~1B

I cant's fault your arithmetic but I can fault your legal strategy and hers . She is going to find her demands strongly contested . He was being quite generous . Now his lawyer is going to be richly rewarded for protecting his interests .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

the undisposed-of property acquired after marriage by him or her in his or her own right.

I'm thinkin' he did all the acquiring after marriage ...

Miss_Construed
Freshman Silent

I'm thinking you'd be mistaken...

She was an economist and a lawyer who worked for the company as an executive.

link

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

She was an economist and a lawyer who worked for the company as an executive.

So ... she was an employee who was paid a salary . Bottom line she was already compensated for her time . Unless she had a major part in the risk taking part of the venture then she is not entitled to the capital gains from the venture .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

what makes her any less entitled to a fair share of the profits?

Reread my above comment ... many times if necessary .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

The last sentence explains the difference :

Unless she had a major part in the risk taking part of the venture then she is not entitled to the capital gains from the venture .

Taking capital risks which can result in losses entitles one to the high rewards if the venture pays off .

Nona62
Professor Silent

If she doesn't want it , I'll take it off her hands!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I don't blame her!

Nona62
Professor Silent

True...but at least she'll never have to worry about moneySmile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

I agree!!