╌>

‘Absolutely Not’ Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) Says U.S Isn’t On Track To Get Americans Out Of Afghanistan Before Deadline

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

‘Absolutely Not’ Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) Says U.S Isn’t On Track To Get Americans Out Of Afghanistan Before Deadline
Absolutely not. And that’s based on discussions with people who are talking to folks on the ground.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY). Photo credit: Associated Press

Absolutely not. And that’s based on discussions with people who are talking to folks on the ground. That’s based on briefings that we’ve had here, which you know, I’m not going to talk about in detail, but we are not on track.

And the damage, the devastation to America’s role as a superpower to America’s ability to defend ourselves, to defend our allies, the damage is incalculable.

If we have now gotten into a position where we are depending upon the Taliban, which they are our enemy, depending upon them, radical Islamic terrorists to secure, to — to provide for the safe travel and safe passage of U.S. citizens . . . 

And the fact that the president of the United States doesn’t understand that, the fact that our senior military leaders aren’t being absolutely direct and clear with him, the long damage to our interest, our security, to our armed forces of any message other than, we will get our people out, if you do not allow us to get our people out you will face consequences like you cannot imagine, and — and they will be severe, and they will be swift . . .

That is the message that the Taliban ought to be receiving, and anything else is an abdication of American leadership and authority in the world.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Absolutely Not’

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) Says U.S Isn’t On Track To Get Americans Out Of Afghanistan Before Deadline

And that’s based on discussions with people who are talking to folks on the ground. That’s based on briefings that we’ve had here, which you know, I’m not going to talk about in detail, but we are not on track.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

And the damage, the devastation to America’s role as a superpower to America’s ability to defend ourselves, to defend our allies, the damage is incalculable.

If we have now gotten into a position where we are depending upon the Taliban, which they are our enemy, depending upon them, radical Islamic terrorists to secure, to — to provide for the safe travel and safe passage of U.S. citizens . . . 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

And the fact that the president of the United States doesn’t understand that, the fact that our senior military leaders aren’t being absolutely direct and clear with him, the long damage to our interest, our security, to our armed forces of any message other than, we will get our people out, if you do not allow us to get our people out you will face consequences like you cannot imagine, and — and they will be severe, and they will be swift . . .

But-- is she right about that??? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
3.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago
But-- is she right about that???

It's obvious she is.

Our allies are condemning us in their parliamentary chambers and even to the press.

Biden is incapable of answering simple questions and often contradicts just noted facts.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @3.1    3 years ago

Our allies are condemning us in their parliamentary chambers and even to the press.

Biden is incapable of answering simple questions and often contradicts just noted facts.

Well, something is very wrong with the entire situation-- quite wrong.

But there are probably still important facts we don't know. 

So I'm willing to withhold judgement until more facts are known.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2  evilone  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago

Who knows. They likely aren't going to anounce any clandestine operations from the press room before it happens.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  evilone @3.2    3 years ago
Who knows. They likely aren't going to announce any clandestine operations from the press room before it happens.

True. But I guess I wasn't clear in my question.

What I'm wondering about is not only what will happen in the future... but also the current situation: is the military intelligence that the admin is getting faulty? And if so-- what is the chance it will significantly change?

Or is the intel excellent, and its Biden's judgement that's faulty-- and is he stubbornly ignoring excellent intel?

Or both?

(Or is there something else?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  evilone @3.2    3 years ago

They likely aren't going to anounce any clandestine operations from the press room before it happens.

Well... of course they announced that we will stick to the August 31st deadline.

And the latest news is that Biden said he is still sticking to that date.

(And while I realize its an assumption on my part-- I am assuming that they are not l ying about keeping to that date):

Biden sticks to Aug. 31 Afghan withdrawal deadline as U.S. speeds evacuations

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.3  evilone  replied to  Krishna @3.2.1    3 years ago
is the military intelligence that the admin is getting faulty?

Considering everyone there - the Afghan government, the US and all the other foreign countries involved were all caught flat footed I'm assuming they were all using the same information. Probably the one where the US (under Trump and Mike Pompeo's State Department) made a deal with the Taliban to leave by a certain date and that the Taliban would be peaceful and nice and warm and let everyone live happily ever after? Even now the Taliban leaders are saying one thing while the fighters on the ground are doing the opposite. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    3 years ago

Looks like she hit the nail squarely on its head.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
4.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Texan1211 @4    3 years ago
Looks like she hit the nail squarely on its head.

She missed.  I believe the USSS would stop her before she got that far.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @4.1    3 years ago
She missed.  I believe the USSS would stop her before she got that far.

Not sure I understand your comment...

Seems to me she explained (her perception) of the situation pretty well and pulled no punches.

My only concern is whether or not what she said is accurate or not???

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    3 years ago
My only concern is whether or not what she said is accurate or not???

Also keep in mind that her "opinion" is based on knowledge that she MAY have that is more than citizens have, BUT may not be based on the full picture.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @4.1    3 years ago
I believe the USSS would stop her before she got that far.

What money are you referring to?

All the YUGE sums of money she is constantly receiving from ardent Trump supporters because of her constant praise of Trump?

/sarc

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.2    3 years ago
Also keep in mind that her " opinion " is based on knowledge that she MAY have that is more than citizens have, BUT may not be based on the full picture.

You raise some excellent points!

I feel like I still don't fully understand the current situation there. 

On hearing the new since the pullout was announced, I was curious as to what was going on. One seemed that either U.S. military intelligence was quite faulty-- over a period of time!  Given all our assets on the ground ( "HUMINT ") that seemed highly unlikely. 

And then, of course, the intel we receive from our technological intel assets, which is pretty incredible.

If if its true, how could Biden make wise decisions if the intel he received w from the most trusted sources was faulty?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    3 years ago

If if its true, how could Biden make wise decisions if the intel he received w from the most trusted sources was faulty?

OTOH-- there's the other possibility: what if the intel wasn't faulty? If that's the case, how could the administration commit such a horrendous screw-ups? (Or more accurately-- so many repeated, total; screw-ups in so short a period of time?)

Unlike most people on social media sites, I tend to be quite an outlier-- I don't consider myself to be an incredible expert-- nor totally run by my emotions and political bias. So as of now, I am still not sure about what has been causing this total (and extremely tragic)  ongoing series of F*ck-ups.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    3 years ago

Somehow, I don't think we'll ever get the truth out of this. Washington has a long history of citing national security to classify and restrict access to information in order to hide their mistakes. But we heard from Biden that there was no pushback from his Security Council when the plan was put forth. If true the entire security council needs to be fired and replaced as they failed in their duties. 

How many more will die and how many Americans and Afghan's who worked with / supported the US will be left behind?  How many more attacks will there be on the airport? Will this speed up the removal of troops?  I think it's gonna be one hell of a long week over there.