╌>

Trump was an 'unstable person' and many Republicans secretly admitted it: former GOP lawmaker

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Brad Reed (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

Trump was an 'unstable person' and many Republicans secretly admitted it: former GOP lawmaker
Former Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-VA) on Tuesday said that she understood why Gen. Mark Milley tried to prevent former President Donald Trump from launching last-minute military strikes in a desperate bid to stay in power.While speaking with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Comstock explained that she agreed wi...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

image.jpg?id=27472765&width=1200&height=800  

Former Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-VA) on Tuesday said that she understood why Gen. Mark Milley tried to prevent former President Donald Trump from launching last-minute military strikes in a desperate bid to stay in power.

While speaking with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Comstock explained that she agreed with Milley's assessment that Trump was in a dangerous mental state following his defeat in the 2020 presidential election.

"What he was doing was saying this is an unstable person we're dealing with," Comstock said. "I can assure you that was said by lots of Republican members of Congress, and we need to make sure that all of the processes that are in place are taken if he tries to do something, anything untoward because this was an unstable person."

Comstock rejected criticism of Milley for usurping Trump's role as commander-in-chief of the United States armed forces and said he deserved praise for potentially stopping Trump from doing something catastrophic.

"I thank General Milley and thank all of the people who stopped this president from his unconstitutional action," she said. "That's why this January 6th commission is going to be so important, and God bless all the Republicans who are out there fighting for it."

Trump was an 'unstable person' and many Republicans secretly admitted it: former GOP lawmaker www.youtube.com

VideoSmartNews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

All this "Milley" business will open open a Pandoras box for Trump. Lets find out exactly what his state of mind was. 

The three books on Trumps last days released during the summer are already very damning of Trump. Lets hear what Woodward has to say. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Comstock is almost as bad as Milley.

She shouldn't support illegal actions to remove a President's power.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
An MSNBC contributor and former four-star U.S. Army general said on Tuesday he was worried that former President   Donald Trump   was launching “a coup” when he fired top civilian Pentagon leaders following the 2020 election.

During a segment on   Katy Tur Reports   about excerpts of an upcoming book by   The Washington Post ’s   Bob Woodward   and   Robert Costa   that show Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen.  Mark Milley   was concerned about war with China,   Barry McCaffrey   said, “The worst thing that ever happened to General Milley’s entire flippin’ life is to be the chairman of the JCS during this cancerous period of a lawless president.”

“Let me also put it in context. The chairman of JCS, the service four-star chiefs are not commanders. They are advisors,” he continued. “The only authority to give operational orders to the U.S. Armed Forces comes from the president and the Secretary of Defense, no one else.”

“Remember at that time, Trump had fired all the top civilian officials in the Pentagon, and we had a minor functionary retired lieutenant colonel sycophant of Trump as the secretary of defense,” said McCaffrey, referring to   Christopher Miller , who succeeded Defense Secretary   Mark Esper   six days after the 2020 election and served until   Joe Biden   was sworn in as president on Jan. 20.

“We were at a perilous moment. I thought this was the opening moves to a coup. I think the other thing, put it in context, the chairman of JCS, who has a Foreign Service officer political advisor, routinely talks to all his counterparts globally, both friendly and adversarial. It’s part of the stability of deterrence,” said McCaffrey. “Now having said that, look, we were in trouble. There’s just no question that Trump was, in my view, acting mentally unstable, erratic, violating the law. He was about to fire the CIA director [ Gina Haspel ]. So it was a pretty tricky moment and I think his place in history is going to be a pretty fabled one.”

MSNBC's Gen. Barry McCaffrey Feared Trump Was Launching Coup (mediaite.com)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Trump was an 'unstable person

What "was"?  He still is and even more so now.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    3 years ago

You are completely correct. jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

I assume she was saying that in the context of his presidency.