╌>

At Yale Law School, a party invitation ignites a firestorm

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  3 years ago  •  18 comments

At Yale Law School, a party invitation ignites a firestorm
Maoist reeducation camps have nothing on Yale Law School.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Maoist reeducation camps have nothing on   Yale Law School . If you think this is an exaggeration, okay, it is, but keep reading.

Last month, a second-year law student sent some classmates an invitation to a party — to celebrate Constitution Day, of all things.

The student, Trent Colbert, who has the unusual profile of belonging to both the Native American Law Students Association (NALSA) and the conservative Federalist Society, emailed: “Sup NALSA, Hope you’re all still feeling social! This Friday at 7:30, we will be christening our very own (soon to be) world-renowned NALSA Trap House . . . by throwing a Constitution Day bash in collaboration with FedSoc. Planned attractions include Popeye’s chicken, basic-bitch-American-themed snacks (like apple pie, etc.) . . . Hope to see you all there.”

“Trap House,” according to the Urban Dictionary , was “originally used to describe a crack house in a shady neighborhood,” but “has since been abused by high school students who like to pretend they’re cool by drinking their mom’s beer together.” A popular far-left podcast, by three White men, calls itself Chapo Trap House, without incident.

Not at Yale Law School. Within minutes, as reported  by Aaron Sibarium of the Washington Free Beacon, the invitation was posted on the group chat for all 2Ls, or second-year law students, of which several asserted that the invite had racist connotations, and had encouraged students to attend in blackface.

“I guess celebrating whiteness wasn’t enough,” the president of the Black Law Students Association wrote in the forum. She objected to the involvement of the Federalist Society, which, she said, “has historically supported anti-Black rhetoric.”

But what erupted on the group chat didn’t stay on the group chat. All too typically, the issue was escalated to authorities and reinforced by the administrative architecture of diversity and grievance. And that’s when things went off the rails.

Within 12 hours, Colbert was summoned to meet with associate law dean Ellen Cosgrove and diversity director Yaseen Eldik. There, he was told that his message had generated nine student complaints of discrimination and harassment, and was more or less instructed to apologize.

Colbert secretly recorded that conversation, and another the next day, and the Free Beacon has posted them. The audio offers an unsettling insight into the hair-trigger and reflexively liberal mind-set of the educational diversity complex.

Eldik told Colbert that the email’s “association with FedSoc was very triggering for students who already feel like FedSoc belongs to political affiliations that are oppressive to certain communities. That of course obviously includes the   LGBTQIA   community and Black communities and immigrant communities.”

Sorry, but if you’re triggered by the Federalist Society, you don’t belong on a law school campus.

The administrators leaned on Colbert to think about “asking for forgiveness” to help “make this go away.” They drafted a note that they thought would suffice, apologizing for “any harm, trauma or upset” the email caused,” and adding, in language reminiscent of the Cultural Revolution, “I know I must learn more and grow. And I will actively educate myself so I can do better.” Dunce cap, anyone?

When Colbert resisted, saying he would prefer to discuss the issue face to face with anyone who was offended, the administrators acted on their own that same night, emailing the entire second-year class. “An invitation was recently circulated containing pejorative and racist language. We condemn this in the strongest possible terms.”

A conversation the next day was even more unsettling, warning of repercussions down the line. “You’re a law student, and there’s a bar you have to take,” Eldik said, as reported by the Free Beacon. “So we think it’s really important to give you a 360 view.”

After the Free Beacon story broke, Yale issued a statement denying that it had any intent of disciplining Colbert or alerting bar authorities down the line. “No student is investigated or sanctioned for protected speech,” the statement said.

Good to know. But that’s not the biggest challenge at Yale or at other law school campuses. It’s how to deal with a grievance culture in which every slight, real or perceived, is greeted with outsize demands for disciplinary consequences. There is — or should be — a distinction between sophomoric provocation and   outright racism .

Every first-year law student learns in torts class about the plaintiff with the “eggshell skull” — someone who suffers a greater injury than normal and must be compensated accordingly. But in the modern world, it seems, everyone’s skulls are susceptible to cracking at the slightest provocation. “Taking the worst possible reading and then twisting it to make it worse is a practice that is all too common,” Colbert told me.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Not that I have much hope for victimization culture to recede anytime soon, but it's a good sign when even Ruth Marcus notices how absurd academia has become. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    3 years ago
how absurd academia has become.

I'd say not much has changed since William F Buckley wrote God & Man at Yale 70 years ago.

The best solution might be for me to meet with Cosgrove and Eldik. We'd find out who would do the begging for mercy!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    3 years ago

I read the story and I still cant really understand what was going on. 

Fortunately, I do not care, at all. 

Something like this should be just ignored. What goes on in these situations on college campuses effects virtually no one who reads about it in the news. 

Its just an opportunity for the right to whine. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago
I read the story and I still cant really understand what was going on. 

You can't? It seems that the radicals who run Yale are doing precisely what you proposed. They are demanding apologies for whiteness!

Something like this should be just ignored.

NO, THAT IS HOW WE GOT TO THIS PLACE!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.2    3 years ago

Try to stay calm Vic. You are not a victim of anything. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago
Try to stay calm Vic.

Remember rule 1 of the Coc. Let's not make it personal

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    3 years ago
They are demanding apologies for whiteness!Something like this should be just ignored.NO, THAT IS HOW WE GOT TO THIS PLACE!

sounds pretty excited over nothing to me

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago

So let me get this straight.  My understanding of this train wreck is this; the Black Law Students Association was pissed that they didn't get an invite to the Native American Law Students Association party and decided to make a problem where there wasn't (race).  The school stepped in and in typical progressive bullying and stupidity threatened the Native American Law Students Association.  

Is that a correct?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    3 years ago
Students Association was pissed that they didn't get an invite to the Native American Law Students Association party and decided to make a problem

It's my understanding they were invited as the invitation was posted to the entire second year class  and still ran to the admisntration.

These are adults, all college graduates, who ran to the admisntration because they got the vapors over an invitation and the mere mention of the words "federalist society"   We'll know the craziness has ended when college administrators start laughing  students out of the office when they start this up. Now they get coddled. . 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    3 years ago

So in a nutshell, the invitation was extended and they decided to make it about something that it's not.  

If this is what's coming out of Yale, we're fucked.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
2.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    3 years ago
So let me get this straight.

It isn't as silly as it seems at first glance. This is a play for power, not simply a tiff someone is having. It doesn't matter whether the post was actually racist in nature. It just has to be made to seem racist. That way you get a lot of people who can't think for themselves to blindly start condemning it. The law professors are likely the one's teaching the tactic. You make everyone around you walk on eggshells for fear of being labeled as racist (and whatever other "ist" they want to throw at you). That way, your opponents are afraid to do anything at all other than what you allow them to do. That's the goal. Going back to the public shame/honor society of the old world rather than one based on actual morality.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Drakkonis @2.2    3 years ago
It doesn't matter whether the post was actually racist in nature. It just has to be made to seem racist. That way you get a lot of people who can't think for themselves to blindly start condemning it.

So it was made out to be something it's not. 

The law professors are likely the one's teaching the tactic. You make everyone around you walk on eggshells for fear of being labeled as racist (and whatever other "ist" they want to throw at you).

That seems to work on the non-thinkers.  Seems that many more people are coming to realize that calling something "racist" is just a chicken little ploy.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Drakkonis @2.2    3 years ago

his is a play for power, not simply a tiff someone is having.

That's a very good point and gets lost in the muddle of these ridiculous stories. The goal is to portray oneself as oppressed, because in 2021 America victimhood is the ultimate power.   Once the complainer has established themselves as the victim in any argument, they have the power in a confrontation and then control the results.  It's just what happened here, the complainer portrayed themselves as racially victimized and then was able to use the power of the university to accomplish what they wanted, namely trying to punish their opponent for "oppressing" them. 

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
3  Moose Knuckle    3 years ago

Mean tweets got them all to come out of the closet and their mental illness is now of full display. I'm moving out of the way so the horde can inevitably cancel themselves to irrelevance.

It's also important to remember that today's red fascist is a mentally unhinged basket case obsessed with dicks. They aren't going to last very long.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    3 years ago

These folks faux-offended so easily will surely have a tough time in adulthood.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
4.1  Moose Knuckle  replied to  Texan1211 @4    3 years ago

I'm buying stock in green and purple hair dye.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4    3 years ago
Sorry, but if you’re triggered by the Federalist Society, you don’t belong on a law school campus.

That says it all! No one getting an Ivy League school law degree can expect to never have exposure to The Federalist Society, it’s members lawyers, and judges.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    3 years ago

Ivy League schools don't seem so special anymore