╌>

Jon Stewart Blasts Media on CNN for Stirring Up Conflict

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  10 comments

Tapper, earlier in the segment, had asked Stewart about a new bill signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA) requiring toy stores in the Golden State to have gender neutral sections. Stewart believes it’s a non-story receiving outsized coverage because the media wants to gin up a debate. “Honestly, like that law, who gives a shit?” Stewart said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.mediaite.com   /tv/jon-stewart-torches-the-media-on-cnn-for-hyping-stories-to-stir-up-conflict-who-gives-a-sht-about-gender-neutral-toy-laws/

By Joe DePaoloOct 17th, 2021, 11:43 am 3-3 minutes   10/17/2021

Jon Stewart   delivered a scathing critique of the media on CNN Sunday.

Appearing with   Jake Tapper   on CNN’s   State of the Union , the Apple TV host accused the fourth estate of overhyping stories in order to stir up conflict. Specifically, the comic cited a recent headline from Politico at the height of the turmoil in Afghanistan.

“It said ‘Why Afghanistan may not matter in the midterms,'” Stewart said. “And then the subject was, ‘and why it might.'”

Tapper laughed, as Stewart pressed on to make his larger point.

“But that’s our journalism, right, man?” Stewart said. “How many times have you seen stories about the battle over masks, that’s the Karen yelling in the store, and the people throwing them out and all that? And how many stories have we seen about the efficacy of masks, or the why? … There are some. But the overwhelming majority of stories seek to expose the conflict lines.”

“But do you think it’s all about the media?” Tapper asked, following up. “There isn’t anything to the degree that sometimes activists on the left risk alienating a culture instead of educating and then bringing people in?”

“Their job isn’t to educate necessarily,” Stewart said — before taking a jab at activists on the Left. “I’m uncomfortable with certain activism that feels performative. I think a lot of times is not particularly helpful. And if your goal is to create a change there, sometimes that performative activism isn’t particularly helpful.

“But in the scheme of things, performative activism gets people’s attention. And if the follow-up to that conversation is fruitful, it can be really effective. But I don’t generally think that the problem in Democratic politics lies with activists. I just don’t think that that’s a fair assessment of what’s wrong with Democratic politics.”

Tapper, earlier in the segment, had asked Stewart about a new bill signed into law by Gov.   Gavin Newsom   (D-CA) requiring toy stores in the Golden State to have gender neutral sections. Stewart believes it’s a non-story receiving outsized coverage because the media wants to gin up a debate.

“Honestly, like that law, who gives a shit?” Stewart said.

He later added, “I think the media does a terrible job at de-escalation. And de-escalation is the antidote to all this nonsense. And I don’t mean civility, and I don’t mean nonpartisanship. I mean focusing on things that are more urgent and elemental in people’s lives, and really hammering away at those things, rather than the emotional fault lines that occur in societies.”

Watch above, via CNN.

Have a tip we should know?   tips@mediaite.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Jon Stewart is becoming the godfather of common sense in this country. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Jon Stewart is a low-grade comedian with no more political expertise than my fucking dogs.

It is no wonder so many leftists get their opinions from comedians.

As far as the asinine Cali law goes, Democrats though it important enough to actually pass a law about it, so it MUST have been an issue with them. Pretty damn dumb to downplay it after it was an issue for woke Democrats.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I hate to say this but he is plugging his own new show. Just like the rest of them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @1.2    3 years ago

that may be why he is going to interviews but that doesnt effect what he says when asked questions

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

He always went after the media.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Tapper, earlier in the segment, had asked Stewart about a new bill signed into law by Gov.   Gavin Newsom   ( D-CA) requiring toy stores in the Golden State to have gender neutral sections. Stewart believes it’s a non-story receiving outsized coverage because the media wants to gin up a debate.

Seriously? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @2    3 years ago

Uh, didn't DEMOCRATS make this a story with their passage of yet another dumbfuck law?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

That's Stewart in a nutshell. He knows the Democratic Legislature did something unfathomably stupid in passing that law about toy aisles.  Rather then mocking them for that, he's does what he's always done, go after Republicans for pointing out what a tremendously stupid piece of crackpot social engineering the  Progressives are engaging in. Apparently, talking about insane laws and exposing them to the light of day  is the problem.  Passing stupid laws is a-okay in Stewart's book.  

Stewart's a tremendous partisan hack who's as much to blame as anyone for the divisions in this country. He used his platform, which literally became the news source  for many progressives, to mock, dehumanize and ridicule (often through dishonest editing and other standard tricks of the propaganda trade) , Christians, conservatives and rural Americans who didn't conform to progressive ideology. It was like giving a show to a Klansman to report on black culture. And then to top if off, when he got called out for his dishonest editing and other lies, he'd fall back on the "I'm just a comedian" card to absolve himself of any responsibility for his punditry. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    3 years ago

I dont think jealousy of Jon Stewart will get conservatives anywhere. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago

Oh, we aren't jealous of your "news" source.

We are laughing at him and those gullible enough to believe the crap he spews.

It's hilarious to hear a comedian criticize a news channel for reporting the news.