╌>

Survey: 34% of white college students lied about their race to improve their admission, financial aid odds

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

Survey: 34% of white college students lied about their race to improve their admission, financial aid odds

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A recent survey has found that 34% of its white respondents admitted to lying about being part of a racial minority to boost their chances of getting accepted into college.

Taking advantage:   The survey, which questioned 1,250 white college applicants aged 16 and up, discovered that 34% of them lied in their applications, according to   Intelligent .

• Forty-eight percent of them falsely claimed to be of Native American descent, and about 9% of them lied about being Asian American or Pacific Islander. Around 81% of the students who lied said they did it to increase their chances of getting admitted to their preferred schools, while 50% hoped to benefit from minority-focused financial aid.

• About 75% of the students who made false claims got accepted into the schools they lied to.

• The survey also found that male applicants lied more about their race in their college applications (48%) than female college applicants (16%) did. However, more female respondents admitted to lying about being Black than their counterparts did at 18% and 8%, respectively.

• Kristen Scatton, the managing editor at Intelligent.com, said applicants who lied to increase their chances of college admission were taking advantage of the belief that “many Americans of European descent have some Native American DNA in their bloodline.”

• “However, research has shown that’s not all that common, particularly among white Americans. But applicants are banking on the fact that no college is going to ask them to provide a DNA sample to verify,” Scatton added.....

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

This number is almost certainly high, but there's no doubt it happens (Senator Warren) given the advantages  to not being white when applying to college.

Tthe famous racist Ibrham X. Kendi retweeted the story only to delete his retweet and as Alex Griswold pointed out, it's a perfect example of 

",t fw you accidentally blow up your entire life's work in a tweet and have to delete"

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago
  • Kristen Scatton, the managing editor at Intelligent.com, said applicants who lied to increase their chances of college admission were taking advantage of the belief that “many Americans of European descent have some Native American DNA in their bloodline.”

Ah yes, the old ''my great grandmother is Cherokee'' there have been numerous papers/articles/books written on this false narrative among whites. 

• “However, research has shown that’s not all that common, particularly among white Americans. But applicants are banking on the fact that no college is going to ask them to provide a DNA sample to verify,” Scatton added.....

No need for a DNA test, simply require a CIBC or proof of enrollment in a recognized tribe. easy peasy but schools don't do the simple for obvious reasons. 

This not only happens with college admissions but in business. Millions of dollars have been awarded to companies that claim minority (NA) ownership. The LA Times did a great article on this and found that over $300 million had been awarded to companies that claimed membership in three Cherokee tribes that don't exist are not recognized by the US government nor recognized by the recognized Cherokee tribes. And one of those companies was the in-laws of Kevin McCarthy.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

No doubt.  It’s very advantageous for white people  to pretend to be a minority

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    3 years ago
It’s very advantageous for white people  to pretend to be a minority

It certainly was for McCarthy's in-laws to be fake Indians. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    3 years ago

And if that doesn't work, if they can afford it, they hire experts who "help" their kids write the perfect essay. It really sucks, doesn't it?

It's so much better to be a minority./sarc. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    3 years ago

Shame on whoever McCarthy’s in laws are, for whatever that’s worth.  You’d think you’d have mentioned an actual public figure like Elizabeth warren.  Odd choice.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.2    3 years ago

Why is that sarcastic? The system makes it easier for minorities to get into schools( unless they are Asian).  

are you claiming that admitting students to schools they aren’t qualified causes long term harm to those students? I’ve heard that argued but I’ve not looked into it sufficiently to have an opinion. Is that your point?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.3    3 years ago
You'd think you'd have mentioned an actual ppublic figure like Elizabeth warren. Odd choice. 

Not odd at all if you would have read the link. The investigation was into companies that claimed fake Cherokee NA status. They profited to the tune of over $300 million and McCarthy's in-laws were part of it and profited to the tune of $7 million. The contract they received were in and around McCarthy's district and some he supported in congress. It's pretty simple if you read the link before commenting. 

Oh, and Warren was also mentioned in the article even though she was not part of the companies that profited. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
No need for a DNA test

I already had one. Wish they would have had American mutt on the college application when I applied. I registered as white when applying. Would have been too much hassle carrying around the DNA test results; and the extended family tree I had to put together in high school. Wish smart phones were around then- would have made that aspect much easier.

I don't agree with anyone trying to profit from claiming minority status that isn't theirs'. One of the reasons I really want a federal ID based on genetics. No lying about it, no getting around it, and it would really upset the racial purists on both sides to see how few of them there really are. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    3 years ago

Enrollment in recognized tribes has been around a lot longer than DNA testing. If one is NA and a member of a tribe that card serves its purpose. If the schools or in my example company owners were asked for their enrollment card or CIBC that would end the vast majority of false claims.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    3 years ago

maybe they should get rid special admission and financial aid preferences