╌>

San Francisco grocery store closing earlier due to shoplifting

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Joseph Choi (MSN)

San Francisco grocery store closing earlier due to shoplifting
A 24-hour San Francisco grocery store will now be closing early due to excessive thefts at night, joining other retailers that have been forced to alter their hours due to rampant stealing.The Safeway grocery in the Castro neighborhood of San Francisco has moved from operating 24 hours a day to closing from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., KPIX reported.The news station reported that customers were surprised by this decision."I feel like it's definitely an...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A 24-hour San Francisco grocery store will now be closing early due to excessive thefts at night, joining other retailers that have been forced to alter their hours due to rampant stealing.

© Greg Nash San Francisco grocery store closing earlier due to shoplifting

The Safeway grocery in the Castro neighborhood of San Francisco has moved from operating 24 hours a day to closing from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., KPIX reported.

The news station reported that customers were surprised by this decision.

"I feel like it's definitely an inconvenience, not everybody can make it to the supermarket between those hours, so it's a little frustrating, especially for me personally. I like to shop later on," Castro resident Chris Rankins told KPIX.

"I think like a lot of retailers they've been experiencing increasing property crime and theft from their stores," San Francisco Supervisor Rafael Mandelman said. "I think the last 6 months from what they say has been sort of - off the charts in terms of how bad it's been. It's sad, upsetting and frustrating."

This decision by the Castro Safeway comes less than a month after pharmacy retail giant Walgreens announced it would be closing some locations in San Francisco due to organized retail theft. One San Francisco Walgreens that was closed last year was reportedly losing $1,000 to theft a day.

"I think the last 6 months from what they say has been sort of - off the charts in terms of how bad it's been. It's sad, upsetting and frustrating." a Walgreens spokesperson said.

According to KPIX, Mandelman characterized the changing hours of the Safeway as an equity problem. "There's a lot of low-income folks, seniors, folks with disability, who rely on that Safeway and other Safeways around the city," he said.

In September, San Francisco announced a new initiative to crack down on retail theft. These new measures included increasing the staffing of the police department's Organized Retail Crime Unit and updating the department's reporting system to allow businesses to more easily report thefts online.

"Retail theft and commercial burglaries are not victimless crimes," San Francisco Mayor London Breed said at the time. "They hurt working families due to reduced work hours, shuttered stores and lost jobs. They hurt customers and seniors who are losing convenient access to prescription medications and vaccinations because of pharmacy closures. They hurt neighborhoods suffering from fewer local retailers and more empty storefronts."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Perhaps one day SF voters will wake to the fact that they voted in clowns who allowed asinine policies to be put in place and that they deserve what they voted for.

The news station reported that customers were surprised by this decision.

Surprised?? Why?? Don't you SEE WTF is happening all around you in the city of SF?

Pull your heads out and elect some people with just a modicum of common sense!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

It's now legal in the leftist stronghold:

E5oa8ssXIAEQkVd?format=jpg&name=small

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    3 years ago

Hey, I am positive it is just some right wing agitators (Probably from out-of-state) instigating these fine San Franciscans to loot stores.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

That's what it is!

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

They tried to say stuff like that was a prank in Virginia election rallies

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

How long before the bleeding hearts start complaining about "deserts" in the city due to store closings? When will they use the brains the good Lord gave them to recognize that leftist policies are responsible for their problems?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @3    3 years ago

Walgreens is shuttering another five of its stores in crime-ridden San Francisco because of rampant shoplifting by thieves who waltz past security guards and sell the items outside the drugstore chain's doors. 

The national chain has closed 17 of its 70 San Francisco locations in the past two years because of the shelf raiders, who have swiped everything not behind lock and key. 

Thefts in the chain's 53 remaining stores are five times the average for their stores elsewhere in the country, according to company officials.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    3 years ago

Hey man, when you need a GiQ of Colt 45 you just need one.