╌>

See inside a 958-foot cargo ship, from the crew's living quarters to the massive engine room

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  3 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   gkay@businessinsider.com (Grace Kay) 22 hrs ago (MSN)

See inside a 958-foot cargo ship, from the crew's living quarters to the massive engine room
In the video, second mate Bryan Boyle shows the mechanics that keep the ship moving, as well as the crews' living quarters on the ship.

With all the discussions regarding the supply chain and container ships, I thought that I'd give the NT members a view of a container ship. This ship is the E class built in 2006 and at the time the largest container ship in the world at 958 feet long and able to carry 14,000 TEUs. It is dwarfed by today's vessels the neo-panamax class that is 1300 feet long and able to carry well over 23,000 TEU's.

The container ship that closed the Suez canal a few months ago was one of the new neo-Panamax class vessels. 

The size of the newest class of vessel requires many ports to dredge to a 50-foot depth and requires cranes that have a 22 container-wide reach from port to starboard. 

Click on Seeded Content to view the video, it's 28 minures long but well worth the time.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle A view of the Maersk Ohio from above Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

• A merchant marine captured life at sea on a video tour of a Maersk cargo ship.
  • The video shows the technology that helps guide the ship, as well as the crews' living quarters.
  • Second mate Bryan Boyle said his work has given him the opportunity to explore numerous destinations.

A merchant marine gave a tour of a 958-foot cargo ship that showed the intricacies of hulking freighters that haul 90% of the world's goods.

In the video, second mate Bryan Boyle records the vast array of mechanics that keep the ship moving, as well as the crew and officer's living quarters on the Maersk ship, which was minted in 2006.

Replay Video SETTINGS OFF HD HQ SD LO Skip Ad

Though the video was taken in 2019, Boyle told Insider it provides insight into the lives of shipping crew today as hundreds of cargo ships wait to dock in US ports.

Load Error

In the ship's voyage, it sets out from Norfolk, Virginia, making several stops in the US before setting out to Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands, to name a few destinations.

"I've had the opportunity to work on some interesting vessels," Boyle told Insider. "I've gotten to go to places that the average person wouldn't even know about. It's one of the most appealing aspects of the job."

Boyle said that there's a thrill to arriving in new destinations, remembering how he spent over a month in Africa on one trip. However, the amount of time that crews get to explore new destinations has dwindled over the years, he said, as ships rush to get in and out of ports as fast as possible and early COVID-19 restrictions set limits to crew excursions.

The video shows Boyle's living quarters, as well as a movie locker that holds hundreds of titles.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle Boyle's living quarters on the ship Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

Entertainment options for the ship's crew of 20 to 25 people are limited on the cargo ships. Boyle said that workers' time off can include a mix of movies and games, as well as gym-time.

The video shows the officers' lounge, which has a ping pong table and TV, as well as the general crews' lounge, which has a poker table. Boyle explained that during the pandemic crew were even further limited on the activities they could pursue onboard.

"Many ships were not allowed to eat with fellow crew mates or go to the gym," Boyle told Insider. "You were only allowed in your room or work area."

Take a look at a view of the crew's mess hall below.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle The crews' mess hall Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

The video also highlights the mix of old and new technology that helps keep the supply chain moving, pairing engine control rooms that look like they belong on a space ship with a massive gyro compass.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle The engine control room Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

The navigation bridge also provides an unrestricted view of the waters ahead and operates as a space where the captain and officers can man the entire operations of the vessel.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle The Navigation Bridge Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

The ship has a massive gyro compass that helps guide its course.

The first seaworthy gyro compass was produced in 1908. It operates as a type of non-magnetic compass that uses a fast-spinning disc and the rotation of the Earth to find geographical direction.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle The ship's gyro compass Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

The video shows the engine room and the massive combustion engine that helps power an equally-giant propeller.

© Bryan Boyle The engine Bryan Boyle

Boyle takes viewers on a tour of the exterior of the ship as well, labeling individual parts of the ship and even touring the ship's life boat.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle The ship's life boat Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

The video ends by showing how the ship pulls up to a dock in Germany.

Massive cranes discharge 20-foot containers from the ship. More cranes gradually reload fresh containers before the Maersk Ohio ship heads back to Norfolk, Virginia.

© Courtesy of Bryan Boyle A crane takes 20-foot containers off the ship Courtesy of Bryan Boyle

Watch Boyle's full video on YouTube.

Do you work at sea? Reach out to the reporter from a non-work email at gkay@insider.com

Read the original article on Business InsiderContinue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft and partners may be compensated if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     3 years ago

For a comparison, the new neo panamax vessels are as large as an aircraft carrier.

Click on SEEDED CONTENT to view the video

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    3 years ago

I didn't see any signs of cctv in the tour. I would have thought that would be a no brainer in this day and age. I did see a couple of prime high powered rifle perches with my lounge chair and cooler though.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

I don't know ..... maybe they didn't want to show the location of CCTV cameras on the video tour of the boat that has gone out to the entire world ..... but hey .... i'm just spitballing here ......

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    3 years ago

they're probably all exterior, since the whole ship is a mass of steel and any cctv system would have to be hard wired.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

All container ships have CCTV camera's throughout the interior of the ship.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1.3    3 years ago

I figured as much.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1.4    3 years ago

Already on the drawing boards are the latest class of super container ships the ''Mallacca Class'' which will carry 30,000 containers.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    3 years ago

Nice, pretty nice quarters by older boat standards.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Kavika     3 years ago

No matter how big and strong the ships are mother nature is bigger and stronger. 

This is a photo of the APL China hit by Typhoon Bab in 1998, 400 containers went overboard and 1,000 more were damaged. At the time it was the most expensive loss of cargo on record. 

It was surpassed this year by the One Apus which lost 1816 containers overboard and hundreds more damaged. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

that's a lot of instant coral reef...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @3.1    3 years ago

The problem with containers going overboard is that they create a hazzard. They tend to float just below the surface for days before they sink to the bottom and if they are loaded with chem/haz mat more problems exist.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4  Drakkonis    3 years ago

Thanks, Kavika. That was fun to watch. It's amazing how clean everything seemed. Made me wonder if ships have contracts to have massive cleaning done when in port. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Kavika     3 years ago

Your welcome. The crew is responsible for keeping the ship, ''ship shape'' but if it's in port for repairs and requires some special type cleaning than outside vendors are brought in.