╌>

Pope Francis calls for widespread COVID-19 vaccination, says health care is a 'moral obligation' | TheHill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tacos  •  2 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Alejandra O'Connell-Domenech | Jan. 10, 2022 (TheHill)

Pope Francis calls for widespread COVID-19 vaccination, says health care is a 'moral obligation' | TheHill
The pontiff urged people to take care of themselves and others by getting the jab.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The pontiff urged people to take care of themselves and others by getting the jab.

By Alejandra O'Connell-Domenech | Jan. 10, 2022 ca_popefranciscoronavirus_030320getty_0.jpg?width=1600 getty: Pope Francis

Story at a glance

• Pope Francis used his strongest language ever regarding vaccination during a speech to diplomats on Monday.
  • Francis, who received the Pfizer vaccine in January of last year, said people had a responsibility to care for themselves and others.
  • Although some conservative bishops and cardinals have taken issue with the vaccine research using stem cells from aborted embryos, the Vatican Doctrine Office has said it is "morally acceptable" to get the vaccine.

Pope Francis on Monday called for widespread COVID-19 vaccination, stating that people had a responsibility to care for themselves and others, according to The Associated Press (AP).

"And this translates into respect for the health of those around us. Health care is a moral obligation," he said.

The pontiff made the comment during a speech to diplomats at the Holy See, an annual event where the pope lays out the Vatican's foreign policy goals for the year. The pontiff said the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic was still causing social isolation and taking lives, noting that vaccinations were lowering the risk of the disease. He said it's important to vaccinate as much of the general population as possible, according to Voice of America.

Our country is in a historic fight against the coronavirus. 

Francis denounced the fact that ideological divides are dissuading people from getting vaccinated.

"Frequently people let themselves be influenced by the ideology of the moment, often bolstered by baseless information or poorly documented facts," he said, according to the AP.

"Vaccines are not a magical means of healing, yet surely they represent, in addition to other treatments that need to be developed, the most reasonable solution for the prevention of the disease," he continued.

Some Catholics, including some conservative U.S. bishops and cardinals, have called vaccines based on research that use stem cells derived from aborted embryos as "immoral," but the Vatican's Doctrine Office has said it's "morally acceptable" for Catholics to get the jab.

Pope Francis himself received the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine early last year.

Published on Jan 10, 2022

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Tacos!    2 years ago
the Vatican Doctrine Office has said it is "morally acceptable" to get the vaccine

"And this translates into respect for the health of those around us. Health care is a moral obligation," he said.

"Frequently people let themselves be influenced by the ideology of the moment, often bolstered by baseless information or poorly documented facts," he said, according to the AP.

"Vaccines are not a magical means of healing, yet surely they represent, in addition to other treatments that need to be developed, the most reasonable solution for the prevention of the disease," he continued.

So stick that in your “Religious Objection” and smoke it.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @1    2 years ago

About a year too late, eh?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    2 years ago

I don’t know - the Vatican has been pro-vax for a while.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    2 years ago

Freedom is a real moral obligation.

Forced vaccination?    Not so much.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @2    2 years ago

People in Italy face hefty fines if they don't get vaccinated

The Italian authorities have introduced stricter COVID-19 measures for all its citizens and travellers who plan to visit the country. In line with the current new rules that started being effective on Monday, January 10, unvaccinated and unrecovered persons won’t be able to access several public services, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    2 years ago

And how is that working out for them?

edit: I see you added a link after I responded.    Time will tell if it helps but I suspect it will be viewed that way regardless as the Omicron variant begins to burn out in Europe

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    2 years ago

I wanted to back up my statement so I went and find something after I posted my first sentence

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    2 years ago

No problem, it’s good info.    I still prefer to error on the side of freedom of choice and liberty though.

And people say Europe is more free than the US.    Not Italy I guess, at least not yet.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @2    2 years ago

That is the subject of much debate.

Most would say that moral obligation infringes on true freedom.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @2.2    2 years ago
Most would say that moral obligation infringes on true freedom.

nah, not most but opinions do vary

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.2    2 years ago

I guess I'm a bit older, we got all of our shots while we were in grade school.

Sometimes a needle or two.

Sometimes a cube of sugar with a drop of the pink vaccine ( we all volunteered for more ).

And then there was this monster air jet injector that left most of us with a dime sized scar.

I think the nurses got some perverse pleasure when using it, lol.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.3    2 years ago

I was about 5 when I got my small pox vaxx. I remember the doctor jabbing me over and over with a tiny needle. Then it scabbed over, fell off, and left me with the scar

Now that arm bleeder you're showing is what we got hit with in basic training

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    2 years ago

I believe it can deliver 8 vaccines at a time.

I remember getting one in the seat area, butt then I was a magnet for poison ivy

and got so many steroid shots in the butt for that, that I can't keep them all straight.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @2    2 years ago

He didn’t say anything about forcing it. He just said you should do it - unless you want to burn in Hell for eternity.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    2 years ago

Lol .... the Catholic Church doesn’t exactly have moral high ground ..... 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.2  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.1    2 years ago

At minimum, if you’re a Catholic, I think you don’t really get to go around claiming a religious exemption at this point. 

I mean, no one can stop a person from saying something that makes no sense, but the expert authorities on the matter in that Church have made it plain that they do not endorse the religious exemption claim to vaccines.

Are you trying to say that the moral thing to do is not get a vaccine?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.2    2 years ago

No I’m saying it’s a fools errand to judge people on such things.  

One persons moral can be another persons immoral.

I simply respect people’s ability to choose without institutional interference.

Oh and by the way I am Catholic but I’m sure the Pope isn’t very impressed by me for more than one reason.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.4  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.3    2 years ago
No I’m saying it’s a fools errand to judge people on such things.  

Except that's exactly what anti-vaxxers on religious grounds are doing. They are saying they can't take the vaccine - not because it's personally immoral only for them, but because as Christians, it is immoral generally. If the Pope is judging people by saying that getting vaccinated is the moral thing to do, then the anti-vaxxers are just as judgy.

I simply respect people’s ability to choose without institutional interference.

So no one can ever have an opinion about what someone else chooses - even when the choice impacts other people?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.3.5  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    2 years ago
unless you want to burn in Hell for eternity.

He didn't say that or even imply it. I felt he said what he did in reference to the parable of the Good Samaritan where it's important to put the well-being of your neighbors above yourself. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.6  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Snuffy @2.3.5    2 years ago
He didn't say that or even imply it.

Of course not. That part was a joke.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.7  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.6    2 years ago

Hey, Catholics raised on Original sin and stains on milk in milk bottles as an analogy for the soul

take those fiery damnations seriously.

Not quite as seriously now that they arbitrarily did away with Limbo, 

but it's definitely implied from the guy who speaks ex cathedra.

/s

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.8  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.4    2 years ago

Sure you can have an opinion about anything you want    What you can’t do is force someone else to get vaccinated against their will.    

I don’t give a shit what the Catholic Church or anyone else says about it.    I don’t need their approval nor do I care about their disapproval.   It’s not their choice.   It’s mine and mine alone.

So you can rail against religious exceptions all you want.    They are inconsequential in the scheme of personal choice.    People are free to say they won’t get vaccinated for religious reasons but they don’t need to. It’s simply their choice.  

No more complicated than that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.9  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.8    2 years ago
What you can’t do is force someone else to get vaccinated against their will.    

No one suggested that here. I didn’t. The Pope didn’t. I don’t know why you keep going on about it. This seed isn’t about mandates. It’s about people who claim they can’t get a vaccine for religious reasons, and the religious leader with the most followers saying, “That’s Bologna!”

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.10  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.3    2 years ago
No I’m saying it’s a fools errand to judge people on such things.   One persons moral can be another persons immoral.

Quite an admission, it explains a lot...jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.11  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @2.3.10    2 years ago

Don’t need that response to already understand the malfunctions that produced it ..... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
Health care is a moral obligation

So is not molesting children.