╌>

Disney promises it will 'avoid reinforcing stereotypes' in Snow White remake after Peter Dinklage's criticism | The Week

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   The Week

Disney promises it will 'avoid reinforcing stereotypes' in Snow White remake after Peter Dinklage's criticism | The Week
"To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community," a Disney spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter. "We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

'taking a different approach'

Disney promises it will 'avoid reinforcing stereotypes' in Snow White remake after Peter Dinklage's criticism

byBrendan MorrowJanuary 25, 2022

GettyImages-487822453.jpg

Disney is vowing to "avoid reinforcing stereotypes" in its upcoming Snow White remake following criticism from Peter Dinklage.

The studio on Tuesday addressed concerns from Dinklage about its upcoming live-action remake of Snow White starring Rachel Zegler after the Game of Thrones star criticized the project on the WTF podcast.

"To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community," a Disney spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter . "We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period."

The comments came after Dinklage made headlines for slamming Disney over the upcoming film, accusing the studio of "hypocrisy" in a podcast interview.

"Literally no offense to anyone, but I was a little taken aback when they were very proud to cast a Latina actress as Snow White," he said. "...You're progressive in one way but then you're still making that f---ing backwards story about seven dwarfs living in a cave together, what the f--k are you doing, man?"

While Disney didn't share additional details about its new approach to Snow White , The Wrap reported that the film's casting sheets indicate that it will feature "magical creatures" in place of dwarfs, though whether those creatures will serve the same role in the story or the names of the original seven dwarfs wasn't clear. According to the Reporter , Disney has been "reimagining the dwarf characters since the earliest stages" of the project, which dates back three years. It isn't yet clear when the film might be released. ​​​​​

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I expect Tucker Carlson will bemoan equal rights for dwarves, and the existence of a "dwarf community".  Heck, the term midgets isnt even acceptable anymore. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
Heck, the term midgets isnt even acceptable anymore. 

i always thought it dwarfed, the dwarfs term, but nothing but a Big deal about Little People, and a lot of other not so big, in the brain people, who can't see their Little PC in , can cause Big problems for all, asz that dwarfs in comparison to our actual problem, far too many Small Mindet Minions are a far Bigger problem, in my smal,l, yet humbled dont mindet, opinion... 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    2 years ago

A friend of mine refers to himself as height challenged.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    2 years ago

Eh...  just get a bunch of young people (Disney is good at that) and call them minors...  problem solved.

I'm more concerned about Disney's reboot of Firefly.  Not sure how you can make that family friendly when the most moral character is a prostitute or a ex-military bandit.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @2    2 years ago
Not sure how you can make that family friendly when the most moral character is a prostitute or a ex-military bandit.

First I'd say Shepard Book was the moral center of the series not Inara or Mal. Especially not Mal. Second Disney has multiple examples of morally ambiguous characters. Han Solo is an ex-military bandit and people love that character. Third, and I know die hard fans won't like it, but there is no rule saying Inara in the new series has to be a courtesan. Or even in the new series at all as I heard the show runners were looking to explore more of Mal's back story in the first season. Why he became a Browncoat rebel.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  evilone @2.1    2 years ago

Perhaps but you may want to look at his back story..

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    2 years ago

I would say that would also be a great story to explore in the new series if they include the character. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    2 years ago

A politically correct Snow White? Can't wait to see what they would do with Cinderella or the Wizard of Oz!

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

What would you prefer, a politically incorrect version of Snow White ? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 years ago

I think that's been done but I think it has an XXX rating. Not exactly family friendly

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    2 years ago

Sure it is, if you want to learn how to Start a Family....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    2 years ago

Yet on GOT's he was an asshole that always drank and visited prostitutes...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

But he was always the smartest person in the room

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    2 years ago

True that.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

Tyrion was one of the best characters on GOT.  At first you hate him but later you can't help but root for him.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2    2 years ago

I never hated him. From the first time I "met" him in the books I loved him. I've always been a big fan of Peter Dinklage so I loved him in the TV series

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Ender  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2    2 years ago

I need to watch that show again one of these days. There was usually so much going on it was kind of hard for me to catch a lot of it.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Ender @4.2.2    2 years ago

As usual the books are better.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    2 years ago

Sorry but, these live action remakes are usually terrible.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

I have to agree with that.