╌>

Kremlin Fifth Column: The GOP Gives Aid And Comfort To Putin - National Memo

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   National Memo

Kremlin Fifth Column: The GOP Gives Aid And Comfort To Putin - National Memo
On Monday, Russian authoritarian ruler Vladimir Putin moved additional Russian forces into Ukraine, declaring that two regions in eastern Ukraine were now "independent republics." The GOP appears to be pro-Kremlin

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Kremlin Fifth Column: The GOP Gives Aid And Comfort To Putin

Image via twitter

Moscow Mitch

On Monday, Russian authoritarian ruler Vladimir Putin moved additional Russian forces into Ukraine, declaring that two regions in eastern Ukraine were now “independent republics.” On Tuesday, Putin expanded the scope of the new nations he peremptorily formed out of the territory of a neighboring country, setting up an excuse to occupy a much larger area and engage in direct military conflict with Ukrainian government forces.

In response to Putin’s actions, both the United States and European nations took swift actions. Sanctions have been placed on Russia, making it extremely difficult to finance the country’s debt in international markets. Additional sanctions have been placed on Russian state banks. And, most importantly, completion of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline—a pipeline that would have carried 1.9 trillion cubic feet of natural gas from Russia to Germany each year—has been halted. This pipeline would have been a major source of revenue for Russia, which has an economy that is heavily dependent on export of fossil fuels.

Keep reading...

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Now is the time for decent Republicans to step up and act patriotic and reject the quislingism of Pompeo , Trump ,Tucker Carlson, excetera. 

Col Vindman said on television this afternoon that the right wing traitors dont know what they are getting themselves into.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

That's pretty way out there John, even for you. I am a right leaning conservative but no Trump supporter. I have been and still am decent and more patriotic than you have any idea.You are known in the past for trying to paint all right wing conservatives with the same brush that do not share your views. I served my country faithfully and honorably in military uniform and put my life on the line day in day out for 20 years. I am no hero and nobody special, but I did raise my hand and serve when others did not or would not. I love my country dearly and have shed my blood for it on two continents in two wars. How about you? I find your comments above disingenuous at best and disgusting at worst. 

As for Vindman, I would not trust him to walk my dog. But that's just me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    2 years ago

It's very simple then  , denounce the traitors.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    2 years ago

No, it is simple only to you. Your definition of who said traitors are does not happen to match mine.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    2 years ago

That's amazing coming from someone who calls this country "racist" 24/7/. So when did you develop this newly found love for the US?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

[Further meta will result in points.]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
Now is the time for decent Republicans to step up and act patriotic and reject the quislingism of Pompeo , Trump ,Tucker Carlson, excetera.

So you are expecting everybody to accept the blundering fool in the WH?  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Col Vindman

Isn't he the person who altered official documents (telephone call transcriptions)?  Yeah, not going to rely on that traitor.  I'll take my changes with Bill Cosby as a bartender.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago
But as the world unites in opposition to Russian aggression, there is one notable exception: Republicans. From  Donald Trump  to  Mike Pompeo  to  Josh Hawley , the same people who were in a hurry to overthrow democracy in America are using this moment to support the destruction of a democratic ally.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

I've noticed the progressives have stopped even trying to make their propaganda even remotely tied to reality:

Senate Minority Leader  Mitch McConnell  (R-Ky.) on Tuesday urged  President Biden  to impose the “toughest possible sanctions” on Russia after a top White House national security adviser said Russia's deployment of troops into two breakaway regions of Ukraine constituted an invasion.

“Now, the president, roughly at the same time we're meeting here, is addressing the current situation. What I hope he's saying, what I hope he's saying right now, is that from a sanctions point of view, we're gonna impose the toughest possible sanctions,” McConnell said during a Commerce Lexington event in Kentucky on Tuesday. 

But keep telling us how tough Biden is on Russia, since he finally reimposed Trump's sanctions that he had lifted almost as soon as he took office. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

You have lost all credibility Sean. Its in tatters.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 years ago

Lol .... Sean isn’t the one with credibility problems John but stick with the gaslighting tactics.    Some might actually be dumb enough to fall for it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 years ago
ou have lost all credibility Sean. Its in tatters.

You are trying to paint Mitch McConnell as Russian sympathizer and you want to talk about credibility? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

McConnell needs to denounce Trump Pompeo Tucker Carlson Josh Hawley, Etc.  nothing else will be sufficient now

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Drakkonis  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    2 years ago
McConnell needs to denounce Trump Pompeo Tucker Carlson Josh Hawley, Etc.  nothing else will be sufficient now

The problem, John, is that you are presenting a childish level of reasoning to this. The equivalent of a kid telling another kid, unless you do X you are a chicken. You need to read your audience. They're a little more sophisticated than that. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drakkonis @3.2.1    2 years ago

Very true. Some people just cannot accept that others do not share their political worldview and have to condemn those that do not. They are convinced they are absolutely right no matter what.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    2 years ago

Uhhh no...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    2 years ago

So much of this article is a mix of ignorance and partisan tribalism.

Fifth column? Aid and comfort? Quisling? You know we're not actually at war with Russia, right?

Sanctions have been placed on Russia, making it extremely difficult to finance the country’s debt in international markets.

Russia has been stockpiling funds, preparing for just such a situation. They should be fine.

Additional sanctions have been placed on Russian state banks.

America doesn't actually do that much business with Russia, so this isn't really a big deal for them.

And, most importantly, completion of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline—a pipeline that would have carried 1.9 trillion cubic feet of natural gas from Russia to Germany each year—has been halted.

Like the other sanctions, this is fine, but it doesn't change much regarding the status quo, and it won't slow down the Russians.

No direct sanctions on Putin, I notice. Sanctions, in general, have a poor history of success, but you would think that if we were serious, we would at least go after the person responsible for all this.

As to the some of the comments yesterday, I concur that Putin is deftly pursuing his goals, even though I disapprove of them. He is having his way and the rest of the world is too scared to try to stop him. Clever? Yeah. Doesn't make him a good person, but the rest of the world is his bitch right now. Denying that is just stupid.

Hawley: “We have a strong interest in deterring Russian adventurism. But these interests are not so great that we should commit ourselves to fight Russia over Ukraine’s future.”
Appeasement is the order of the day for most Republicans in both politics and media.

He's literally just echoing Biden's current policy. Biden isn't going to fight Russia either. He has made that as clear as he can. Every fucking day he repeats that America will not fight to defend Ukraine. Somehow, when Biden says it, he's being tough, but when a Republican says it, it's unAmerican or something.

Sure. When has it ever been a good idea to stop the strong from beating up the weak?

How you gonna stop them? I promise you, sanctions won't do it. Biden isn't stopping shit. It would take a unified world, including China, ready to use military force, to stop what is happening in Ukraine.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 years ago
So much of this article is a mix of ignorance and partisan tribalism.

Looking at MBFC this source is just another left biased rag pretending to be reputable.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Apparently, everyone who is disagreed with anything George Bush did(while we were actually in  shooting wars)  was a traitor, a 5th columnist for Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden and a quisling.  To offer any sort of criticism or  opinion that differs from the President was pro Al-Queda. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 years ago

You do know the sheer irony in your post will miss the targeted audience by a mile because they won't be able to recognize it, right?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    2 years ago
And, most importantly, completion of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline—a pipeline that would have carried 1.9 trillion cubic feet of natural gas from Russia to Germany each year—has been halted.

B.F.D.

All they are doing is not turning on a brand new pipeline. Is this supposed to bankrupt Russia? A loss of future income? 

Just consider the name. “Nord Stream 2.”

As in the second one. There is already a Nord Stream 1 that has been going for ten years. You don’t see them shutting that off.

And this was the “most important” sanction?

Lame!