╌>

Mitt Romney Knocks 'Moron' Marjorie Taylor Greene for Speaking at White Nationalist Event

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   Justin Baragona (The Daily Beast)

Mitt Romney Knocks 'Moron' Marjorie Taylor Greene for Speaking at White Nationalist Event
While GOP leadership has remained mostly silent about Greene's attendance at a white supremacist conference, Mitt Romney called it "simply wrong" and "evil."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

'DISGUSTING'

While GOP leadership has remained mostly silent about Greene's attendance at a white supremacist conference, Mitt Romney called it "simply wrong" and "evil."

justin-author_fdbxfe.jpg

Justin Baragona

Media Reporter

Updated Feb. 27, 2022 11:43AM ET / Published Feb. 27, 2022 11:19AM ET CNN

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) called out members of his own party on Sunday for attending a white supremacist conference this weekend, likening MAGA-boosting GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar to "morons" who are "certainly missing a few IQ points."

Republican leadership has been mostly silent in the wake of Greene's surprise appearance at Friday's America First Political Action Conference, which is a white nationalist rival of the Conservative Political Action Conference. Prior to Greene taking the stage, AFPAC founder Nick Fuentes praised Russian President Vladimir Putin for invading Ukraine. Fuentes even went so far after Greene's speech to sympathetically compare Putin with Adolf Hitler.

Gosar, meanwhile, also spoke at the event for the 2nd straight year as the Arizona congressman has become close allies with Fuentes. While conservative leaders have tried to ignore the issue, and Greene herself has ridiculously asserted that she doesn't know Fuentes or his racist views, Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) spoke out this weekend about the "deafening and enabling" silence of GOP leadership.

"All Americans should renounce this garbage and reject the Putin wing of the GOP now," she tweeted.

During a wide-ranging interview on CNN's State of the Union on Sunday morning, anchor Dana Bash asked Romney about Cheney's reaction and whether or not he agreed with her assessment.

"Obviously, Liz Cheney was right with that statement and she has been right for a long time," the former Republican presidential nominee responded. "I also saw that Ronna McDaniel came out with a statement as well talking about how repugnant these white nationalists are."

McDaniel, the Republican National Committee chair who also happens to be Romney's niece, released a generalized statement on Saturday condemning "white supremacy, neo-Nazism, hate speech and bigotry" that did not explicitly mention Greene, Gosar, or AFPAC.

"I'm reminded of that old line from the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie where one character says, 'Morons, I have morons on my team!'" — Mitt Romney

"There's no place in either political party for this white nationalism or racism," he continued. "It's simply wrong. As you've indicated, speaking of evil, it's evil as well."Romney then addressed Greene and Gosar's actions directly by referencing a famous line from a classic Robert Redford-Paul Newman western.

"Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar, I don't know them," the senator stated. "But I'm reminded of that old line from the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie where one character says, 'Morons, I have morons on my team!'"

He then added: "And I have to think anybody who would sit down with white nationalists and speak at their conference was certainly missing a few IQ points."

Bash then circled back and asked Romney to broadly speak about the "pro-Putin sentiment" that's run through his party of late, leading him to say that "a lot of those people are changing their stripes as they're seeing the response of the world and the political response here in the U.S."

At the same time, he said that "it's unthinkable," "disgusting" and "almost treasonous" to side with an American adversary who imprisons and kills his political opponents, prompting Bash to wonder if his accusations of treason also included former President Donald Trump. (The ex-president has repeatedly lauded the "very savvy" Putin's "genius" invasion of Ukraine.)

"Well, I said it's nearly treasonous," Romney quickly noted. "Standing up for freedom is the right thing to do in America. Anything less than that, in my opinion, is unworthy of American support."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

What do you get when you cross a Republican elephant with a gop RINO? Elephino...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

It's good to see some GOP members standing up to this crap.  We need more to jump on the bandwagon.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    2 years ago

considering the districts that greene and gosar represent, they both have to kiss the asses of neo-nazis and white supremacists.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @2.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @2.1.1    2 years ago
No different than the liberal district where the democrat has to kiss the asses of girly men and manly women......

Yes, when equality = oppression to the right wing. There is a huge difference between spreading hate and accepting people for who they are. 

And a whole bunch of liberal "oddities".

Like redheads, left handed people and people who are taller than the average for their sex? Sorry, but being different doesn't mean it's bad. 

And there are many,

Why yes, there are, and you can either accept them or get your issues off the road. Savvy? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    2 years ago

You mean the same Mitt Romney that Democrats called every name in the book when he was running for PotUS? I remember all of the magic underwear slurs. The Harry Reid slanderous claim that Romney had "Paid no taxes in ten years". Complete and absolute lie; and Reid even admitted it after Romney lost. Didn't stop the media and left from running with it as if it were gospel. The Romney was even smeared as a racist.

But he again bows to the left trying to curry favor; and suddenly he is quotable and believable? Romney can join the Lincoln Project when his time in office is finally up. Along with Liz Cheney and a few other Republican Establishment hacks that want to bring back the old ways.

Democrats spend all day kissing the asses of far left pieces of shit; and groveling at the altar of BLM and Antifa. Take care of your own fucking house for a change.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @3    2 years ago

Yes, that Mitt Romney. The one the gop calls a RINO!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @3    2 years ago

Hey, it's not Dem's fault that expectations of Republicans are now so low that it's a pleasant surprise when a Republican calls out white nationalists or refuses to support the Big Lie.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ronin2 @3    2 years ago
You mean the same Mitt Romney that Democrats called every name in the book when he was running for PotUS?

The same Mitt Romney Barack Obama and Joe Biden mocked for saying Putin was a threat. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    2 years ago

The Mitt Romney that voted to convict Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Marjorie Taylor Greene spoke at an openly racist event. A day or two later Donald Trump was on stage at CPAC praising her as being great. It's part of the insanity that is taking over this country that we even could possibly "debate" her worth as a politician or person but that's where the country is at.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5  MrFrost    2 years ago

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1  bbl-1  replied to  MrFrost @5    2 years ago

Yeah, she is dumb.

But her 'grifting' on the MAGA mob has made her one of the largest fundraisers in The Congress.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1    2 years ago

But her 'grifting' on the MAGA mob has made her one of the largest fundraisers in The Congress.

Sadly, true..  She's a radicalized extremist, it's what they do. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    2 years ago

Day late and a dollar short, Mitt.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     2 years ago

I watched the interview and when he said '' 'Morons, I have morons on my team!'" — Mitt Romney'' I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I also thought his description of Putin was classic. ''Small, evil, feral eyed man.'' Classic, kudos to Mitt on those two zingers.