╌>

‘Bigger than Chernobyl’: Ukraine’s Largest Nuclear Power Plant Is on Fire After ‘Relentless’ Shelling by Russians

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Kipp Jones (Mediaite)

‘Bigger than Chernobyl’: Ukraine’s Largest Nuclear Power Plant Is on Fire After ‘Relentless’ Shelling by Russians
One of Europe's largest nuclear power plants was burning Friday morning after it was shelled by Russian forces, according to multiple reports.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Kipp JonesMar 3rd, 2022, 8:28 pm Twitter share button <?php // Post Body ?>

One of Europe's largest nuclear power plants was ablaze early Friday morning after it was shelled by Russian forces, according to multiple reports.

Russia's attacks on Ukraine have grown more aggressive in recent days. U.S. officials have reported Russian President Vladimir Putinis attacking civilians.

On Friday morning in south central Ukraine, it appeared Putin's army had taken a new approach to the conflict: bombing the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant near the city of Enerhodar.

The Associated Press reported,

A spokesman for Europe's largest nuclear plant says the facility is on fire after Russia attacked the power station in the southern Ukrainian city of Enerhodar. A government official tells The Associated Press elevated levels of radiation are being detected near the site of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, which provides about 25% of the country's power generation.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information has not yet been publicly released.

Plant spokesman Andriy Tuz told Ukrainian television that it is urgent to stop the fighting to put out the flames.

Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba reportedly confirmed the attack on Zaporizhzhia in a statement:

BREAKING - Ukraine's FM confirms Zaporizhzhia fire:

"If it blows up, it will be 10 times larger than Chornobyl! Russians must IMMEDIATELY cease the fire, allow firefighters, establish a security zone!" - Kuleba says

— Phil Stewart (@phildstewart) March 4, 2022

On CNN's OutFront, host Erin Burnett shared the breaking news with her audience, and also showed video taken from the plant.

"It is one of the largest nuclear power plants in all of Europe," she said. "There is a fire there now. The mayor of the town there posting a message on Facebook that reads, and I quote him, "A threat to world security as a result of relentless shelling by the enemy of the buildings and blocks of largest nuclear power plant in Europe. The nuclear power plant is on fire."

Burnett then paraphrased former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, stating that the plant would be "two times bigger than Chernobyl if it were serious. Much higher radiation than Chernobyl."

Watch above, via CNN.

Have a tip we should know? tips@mediaite.com

Filed Under: Erin Burnettnuclear power plantsRussiaUkraine Previous Post Previous Post

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

This doesnt sound good. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

The message is clear: Vladimir Putin is capable of anything and everything.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Maybe.  After all, he did install a US president and half of the US government.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
2.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1    2 years ago

Well thanks, I knew that the democrats had someone to thank for their current position of power...  and they got exactly the guy they wanted in the big office as well!!!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.1    2 years ago

Nowhere to go and all day to get there, right?

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
2.1.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.2    2 years ago
Nowhere to go and all day to get there, right?

{chuckle} the only difference between you and me on this board, you are going in the other direction...

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  JBB  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.3    2 years ago

The difference is bbl-1 is known for integrity...

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
2.1.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  JBB @2.1.4    2 years ago
The difference is bbl-1 is known for integrity...

I know, mainly in liberal circles... No different than me in conservative circles.... So what's your point? He's just as biased as I am, and on that, I agree...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.5    2 years ago

Truth is never biased.  Only the lie is biased.

Besides, conservatism is dead.  Kompromat.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.7  JBB  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.5    2 years ago

In what circles are you known for integrity?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.6    2 years ago
Besides, conservatism is dead. 

Gee, if it IS dead, what will Democrats use as an excuse for losing the midterms badly?

Losing to a dead party sure looks good on a  resume, eh?

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
2.1.9  Nowhere Man  replied to  JBB @2.1.7    2 years ago
In what circles are you known for integrity?

None you would be involved in...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.9    2 years ago
None you would be involved in...

Because..........integrity?

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
2.1.11  Nowhere Man  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.6    2 years ago
Truth is never biased.  Only the lie is biased. Besides, conservatism is dead.

See 2.1.8 for the only appropriate answer to this...

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
2.1.12  Nowhere Man  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    2 years ago
Because..........integrity?

{Chuckle}, Probably...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

We need an overthrow of Putin, now. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
3.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
We need an overthrow of Putin, now.

NO! The Russian People need to do it NOW...

That is the only way it will work.... WE do it and there will always be a resentment of it....

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1    2 years ago

The Russian people are not going to overthrow Putin. Otherwise they would have done it long ago. Putin is not popular in Russia.

Someone from his inner circle might; but they are all as hardened as he is. The only way Putin falls is if Ukraine goes completely wrong; and believe it or not this is not wrong- this is typical Russian military stupidity. Sooner or later they will overcome their our stupidity and that northern hammer, which is being delayed because of tire shortages and poor food of all things, will fall.

But if Putin by some miracle is brought down; be very afraid of the man that replaces him. He will have toppled Putin from a system that Putin built himself.

Be careful of what you wish for, you might just get it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

NBC News is now reporting that the main buildings of the power plant have not been hit. They say the fire is in a building outside the power plant gates.

For what its worth. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
4.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

So is it bad aim, or pushing a warning of what they will do...

Who the hell knows at this point...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1    2 years ago

Yes, who knows ? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    2 years ago

I've been following the story on the news.  Unbelievable.  Russia has become a terrorist nation governed by terrorists.

On an aside............especially with this new action by the Russians in Ukraine, I am still unable to locate or confirm the rule which states that the only military planes allowed to carry out combat missions in Ukraine are those of Russian origin.

And don't give me that NATO Doctrine crap.  Russia has broken the rules, so thusly the rules are no longer applicable.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @5    2 years ago

We cant allow nations with nuclear weapons to go to war with each other. That is one of the reasons we are so careful not to enter open military conflict with North Korea. 

If the US or NATO goes into open combat against Russia the pandoras box of nuclear destruction will be open. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    2 years ago

The Russian military or the Russian government will not use nuclear weapons.  They're not that stupid and..................besides, the Russian people are tiring of the Putin Regime.  He's delivered nothing except punishment for them.  If the Russian military and the Politburo desires to safeguard their positions, they do not need Putin for that.

Do not be afraid.  Putin brought up the nuclear weapons thing because he has nothing else to bring.  No way in hell would nuclear weapons be deployed over Ukraine.  Think about it. 

Like Trump, Putin is used goods.  He f----d up.  Their economy is in a downward spiral, they can't travel, Russian commercial aircraft is banned in over half the World, the Financial Sectors are chasing down the money, the nation is becoming a pariah, massive protests, and there is much more. 

NAVALNY for president of Russia.   

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
5.1.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.1    2 years ago

Would it surprise you that I agree? Russia would be risking complete and total destruction in using nuclear weapons on anyone at this point...

That still doesn't mean we should blindly take the risk cause the same result would happen to us if we decide wrong...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.1    2 years ago

No one knows whether he would use nuclear weapons or not.  He is no longer stable. 

Why take the chance?   I want no more loss of life in Ukraine as much as anyone, but the situation is not worth risking world war 3.  The US in open combat against Russia would risk nuclear war.  It doesnt even matter how high or low the risk is, it is a real risk. 

We have to find another way to end this war. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
5.1.4  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    2 years ago

WOW! John Russel and me on the same side of a discussion?

That's gotta be chiseled down in the site archives somewhere!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1.2    2 years ago

No risk.  This could be an opportunity for the democracies.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    2 years ago

Putin could give the order---------------but the chain of command does the work.  They will not do it.  No way in hell.

Russia needs a break.  I got a feeling they're going to get it.  Putin and his kleptocracy is used goods. He f----d up.

Too bad so many people have to suffer to bring this about. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.6    2 years ago
Putin could give the order---------------but the chain of command does the work.  They will not do it.  No way in hell.

You dont know that, nor does anyone else. The US intelligence agencies dont even know that. The risk might be small , but it is not zero. The world cannot take that kind of risk.  Putin needs to be overthrown from within. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.7    2 years ago

I am confident.  Very confident.  Putin will be gone and within a matter of days he may be contained to a 'safe space'.

He f----d up.  Ain't going to be any nuclear weapons used.  Russia, the Russian people, the Russian military nor the Russian government is being threatened in any manner.  This discussion and action concerns only Ukraine.  Only Ukraine. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.6    2 years ago

Russian doctrine is to use a small nuke as an attempt to deescalate.  The theory being that the use of a tactical Nuke in  a conventional war  will cause the west to back off rather than escalate to full out nuclear war.

We have now built smaller nukes of our own to use I’m those situations.  Its an insane decision tree if Putin escalates with a small Nike bomb. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Gsquared  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.9    2 years ago

The doctrine is referred to as "Escalate to Deescalate" by American security officials.  The Russians deny that such a doctrine exists as part of their military planning.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
5.1.11  Nowhere Man  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.5    2 years ago
No risk.  This could be an opportunity for the democracies.  

OPPORTUNITY?

I think that was what Putin was thinking before he gave the order to launch his attack...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

The fire is out