╌>

Dispersing Very Strongly

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   Josh Marshall (TPM)

Dispersing Very Strongly
There were reports overnight from the AP and CNN that armor from that convoy outside of Kyiv had "dispersed" into smaller groups. It was unclear to me just what…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Josh Marshall | March 11, 2022 4:42 p.m.

There were reports overnight from the AP and CNN that armor from that convoy outside of Kyiv had "dispersed" into smaller groups. It was unclear to me just what dispersed meant. It could mean a million things. But subsequent reporting suggests - not surprisingly - that they've moved off into the woods in smaller groups. And that seems to be for protection. When the country is bristling with anti-tank weapons being stuck in a miles long convoy of tanks and other army is about the most dangerous place you can be. You're out in the open. You're not moving. In some cases the vehicles are broken down or out of gas. They appear to be dispersing to make themselves less vulnerable targets.

This seems to be a significant part of the story. Logistical breakdowns are leaving Russian armor either stranded or broken down or without clear orders and they are then vulnerable to attack by far more mobile Ukrainian army units with sophisticated anti-tank weaponry.

Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) is editor and publisher of TPM. Have a tip? Send it Here!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Sounds like the Russians are taking a whipping in some sectors. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

they heard on FOX that they might be getting some mig flyovers soon.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    2 years ago

The 'targets' sat there for days.

None the less.  I would appreciate someone to tell me the (rule or the law) which states that the only foreign aircraft permitted to operate in Ukranian air space is Russian.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  bbl-1 @2    2 years ago

at the current rate of downed russian aircraft, ukraine could probably establish air superiority with drones.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  devangelical @2.1    2 years ago

Are aircraft loss counts available?  Helicopter losses?  Fighter losses?  Fighter-bomber losses?  Armored vehicle losses?  Tank losses?

The news coverage is 95% refugee and civilian target coverage.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.1    2 years ago
The website has counted significantly more Russian equipment losses than Ukrainian losses: 993 versus 277. Of particular importance, it has counted losses of 465 Russian heavy vehicles (tanks, armored fighting vehicles, infantry fighting vehicles, armored personnel carriers), versus 138 for the Ukrainians.
The report is two days old. In the last two days 2 fighters were destroyed along with 2 helicopters. Not sure about tanks or APC but yesterday a video showed 4 tanks being knocked out and later in a seperate vido one rocket launcher was knocked out.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @2    2 years ago

most of the Russian activity is from the Russian side of the border, 

fire off some missiles, turn around and land.

Some sorties seem to be bombing runs and strafing

but these attract unwanted attention of the Ukranian MiGs 

or Stinger missiles.

They are afraid.

The real threats are from artillery and missile batteries located in Russia and Belarus,

ie., the USSR.

I have seen at least 3 cruise missiles knocked out by Stingers.

NATO needs to act, with or without us.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @2.2    2 years ago

Last week, I saw a report which stated that The Dutch dispatched four squadrons of F-16's to Romania.  Have heard nothing about this since.  Do not know if the report is true.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Kavika   replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.1    2 years ago

I haven't heard that but Romania has made a deal with Norway to purchase 32 F16 from them since Norway is taking delivery on the F35.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Kavika @2.2.2    2 years ago

Back to my original question.  I can't understand why (allies) of Ukraine are not permitted or will not run sorties within Ukrainian airspace on the hunt for armor, gun emplacements, supply depots and troop concentrations.  Russians are the only foreign power permitted to engage in Ukrainian airspace makes little sense.

I believe that if that was initiated, the Russians would be forced to withdraw within a week and Putin would have to ponder option two.  Which would lead to the demise of his regime.  If he (Putin) demanded escalation the generals would retire him.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.1    2 years ago
Last week, I saw a report which stated that The Dutch dispatched four squadrons of F-16's to Romania.  Have heard nothing about this since.  Do not know if the report is true. 

Some NATO allies in the area are receiving planes and other weapons. But they are not being sent for use in Ukraine--rather we are just strengthening allies in the area.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.5  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.3    2 years ago

Our government's current policy seems to be that its OK to send Stinger missiles (which can shoot down Russian aircraft)-- but its not Ok to allow Poland to send old MIGS (which can also shoot down Russian aircraft) to the Ukrainians.

The reasoning seems to be that sending MIGS will start WWIII and nuclear war-- but sending stingers is OK.

???

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @2.2.5    2 years ago

I can assume you understand my point in 2.2.3?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    2 years ago

The Ukrainians should be very thankful the Russians didn't learn anything from their war with Georgia; in fact they have managed to screw up the one thing they did right by not gaining control of the air on day one. No Ukrainian MIGs should be left by this point. All air fields and military bases should be craters. 

Leave it to Russia to still be using WWI tactics.

As for the article; every last military expert I have seen has agreed that the large military convoy has broken up into smaller units to surround Kiev and begin artillery strikes from all sides. This is to be expected; and there is no reason to keep them as a large unit (Stationary target).

Yes, Russia does have supply issue problems; they had them with Georgia as well. It is just typical Russian laziness and stupidity at work. They seemed to have corrected the issue as the column started to move. 

The media also showed where Russia has left the rails intact across Ukraine. Ukrainians are moving people out from Kiev and bringing munitions and supplies from Poland and elsewhere. They then send those supplies on the rail to the front line. Maybe Russian generals need to watch the news if they want to stop the supplies from coming in? The media is doing a great job of advertising the tactics of Ukraine. The Russians are too stupid to use it.

I stated before this is the typical Russian slog military campaign. Russia will win just because of shear size and military might; but they are taking unacceptable losses doing it. Russia was supposed to have revamped their military after Georgia. It looks like they actually made it worse.

Putin needs to get rid of all the incompetent yes men; and find some Generals that are willing to tell it to him straight- and know modern warfare inside and out. That is if he wants the rest of the world to fear and respect Russia. Because if it weren't for Russian nuclear weapons- US/NATO would be rolling right into Russia proper.

Xi is probably starting to question how valuable Russia is as any ally. Outside of having food and natural resources- they don't bring much to the table. 

Everyone had better get used to it; this war isn't going anywhere for a every long time.