╌>

Can E.V. Battery Swapping Take Off In the U.S.?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  hal-a-lujah  •  2 years ago  •  3 comments

Can E.V. Battery Swapping Take Off In the U.S.?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  author  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

This does seem to make a lot of sense in solving a lot of obvious pitfalls in the E.V. field.  I’ve always wondered why someone living in an apartment would want an E.V.

When traveling on a toll road during busy holidays, I’ve seen huge lines at the gas pumps that take 30 minutes to get through.  That alone makes the whole E.V. concept seem untenable.  If every car were electric the lines would still be long in the swap scenario, but not as completely impossible as compared to a charge and go.  The issue of battery degradation is also important.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    2 years ago

Some definite problems to solve. We love our EV, and I am thrilled that when I see the gas prices I don't have to give a shit as far as my car is concerned. That being said, we only use it locally, definitely not for trips more than a couple hundred miles. I know the technology will get there eventually, and when we are able to get 600 or so miles per charge many issues will be resolved. I do know that many auto manufacturers are investing as heavily is recycling old batteries as they are in the vehicle themselves. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.1  author  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.1    2 years ago

I do know that many auto manufacturers are investing as heavily is recycling old batteries as they are in the vehicle themselves. 

My dad is a retired electrical engineering professor who spent a large portion of his career in battery r&d.  When I say large I mean as in I hardly ever saw him growing up because he was always in the lab, M thru F and two days per weekend.  He and the university hold patents on technology in the field of auto battery repurposing for power bank applications.  My hopes are that my kids and grandkids will be billionaires one day, once internal combustion finally becomes obsolete.  Though I may never be a beneficiary of it, that will be a fine repayment for being an essentially absent parent to me and my brother.