╌>

Nikki Haley’s Hypocrisy and Faux Outrage Over Ukraine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  30 comments

By:    WILLIAM SALETAN

Nikki Haley’s Hypocrisy and Faux Outrage Over Ukraine
The wannabe GOP presidential candidate’s foolish, self-serving, and pernicious remarks about Putin’s invasion.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nikki Haley smells an opportunity. Donald Trump’s U.S. ambassador to the United Nations is getting ready to run for president in 2024, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has given her a chance to talk about foreign policy. But Haley isn’t using that chance to educate the public or offer sound advice. She’s using it to do what she has always done: preen, moralize, and insult the intelligence of her audience.

Since the invasion began, Haley has been a regular on Fox News, talking tough and accusing President Biden of failing to take Vladimir Putin seriously. She pretends to have known all along that Putin would attack. “When an evil dictator thug says they’re going to do something, we need to believe them,” she   told Dave Rubin   in an interview posted on Monday. “Putin said he was going to take Ukraine, and he is.”

Haley is whitewashing her record. She didn’t think Putin would go through with the invasion. “Putin knows it’s costly, and he knows he can’t do it. This is him leveraging to see what he can get,” she   told Brian Kilmeade   on Jan. 26. “He doesn’t want to expand,” she went on, adding, “I don’t think Russia wants to go to war.” On Feb. 8, she told Bret Baier that Putin’s real plan was to   cut a deal : “What Russia’s really trying to do is get us to not allow Ukraine into NATO.”

In the two months leading up to the invasion, as Putin massed forces on the Ukrainian border, Haley was preoccupied with China, not Russia. Her advocacy organization, Stand for America, hardly   mentioned  Ukraine. In  op-eds interviews , and  tweets , she talked about China but largely  ignored Russia .

When she did mention Ukraine, her comments were foolish, self-serving, or pernicious, On Jan. 31, she   tweeted : “Biden should care about our own border as much as he claims to care about the Ukrainian border. #ProtectAmerica.” That message, parroting Trump’s isolationist rhetoric, undercut American resolve. It implied that the defense of Ukraine was disingenuous and was a substitute for protecting the United States.

Haley also blamed Biden for tempting Putin. On Feb. 7, as Putin was considering his options, she tweeted that the Russian president was   correct to view Biden as soft . “The world’s worst dictators realize just how weak Joe Biden is. It’s why Russia is eyeing Ukraine,” she wrote. Her words didn’t just deflect responsibility from Putin. They also signaled that he need not fear American retaliation. On Feb. 23, just before the invasion, she accused Biden of “ teasing ” Putin with weakness—the kind of language that’s sometimes grotesquely applied to survivors of sex crimes. The next day, as the attack was underway, she again blamed Biden, claiming that he had given Putin “ the green light .” “I don’t think Putin initially thought he wanted to go to war,” she asserted.

As America’s allies rallied to Ukraine’s defense, Haley insulted them. In an op-ed on Feb. 28, she called Germany “ Europe’s biggest slacker .” On March 2, she ridiculed European countries that were sanctioning Russia and sending aid to Ukraine. “Biden was following the Europeans,” she   scoffed   on Fox News. “When you’re following the Europeans, who love to hug it out, that’s not saying very much.”

Haley did endorse sanctions against Russia. But instead of dangling them over Putin’s head, with the threat of implementing them if he proceeded with the invasion, she said they should be applied   before   he went in. “ Biden should have already put sanctions on Russia, just to deter them ,” she told Newsmax on Feb. 1. On Sunday, during an appearance on NBC’s   Meet the Press , she reiterated that “we should have done all this before Putin did his first move.” By chastising Biden for failing to impose sanctions preemptively, Haley is trying to look tougher and savvier than he is. But that’s not how deterrence works. If you hit the enemy up front with everything you have—before he does what you’re trying to discourage—he has nothing more to fear from you. You’ve lost your leverage.

Like other critics of Putin, Haley thinks Russia should be ousted from the U.N. Human Rights Council. But if Russia won’t leave, her second choice is to oust the   United States . “Either Russia goes, or the U.S. goes. Biden has to make a choice,” she   told Kilmeade   on March 1. Again, this is the kind of gesture that’s meant to sound macho but is counterproductive. It would give Russia more freedom to dominate and abuse the council.

Nikki Haley smells an opportunity. Donald Trump’s U.S. ambassador to the United Nations is getting ready to run for president in 2024, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has given her a chance to talk about foreign policy. But Haley isn’t using that chance to educate the public or offer sound advice. She’s using it to do what she has always done: preen, moralize, and insult the intelligence of her audience.

Since the invasion began, Haley has been a regular on Fox News, talking tough and accusing President Biden of failing to take Vladimir Putin seriously. She pretends to have known all along that Putin would attack. “When an evil dictator thug says they’re going to do something, we need to believe them,” she   told Dave Rubin   in an interview posted on Monday. “Putin said he was going to take Ukraine, and he is.”

Haley is whitewashing her record. She didn’t think Putin would go through with the invasion. “Putin knows it’s costly, and he knows he can’t do it. This is him leveraging to see what he can get,” she   told Brian Kilmeade   on Jan. 26. “He doesn’t want to expand,” she went on, adding, “I don’t think Russia wants to go to war.” On Feb. 8, she told Bret Baier that Putin’s real plan was to   cut a deal : “What Russia’s really trying to do is get us to not allow Ukraine into NATO.”

In the two months leading up to the invasion, as Putin massed forces on the Ukrainian border, Haley was preoccupied with China, not Russia. Her advocacy organization, Stand for America,   hardly   mentioned   Ukraine. In   op-eds ,   interviews , and   tweets , she talked about China but largely   ignored Russia .

When she did mention Ukraine, her comments were foolish, self-serving, or pernicious, On Jan. 31, she   tweeted : “Biden should care about our own border as much as he claims to care about the Ukrainian border. #ProtectAmerica.” That message, parroting Trump’s isolationist rhetoric, undercut American resolve. It implied that the defense of Ukraine was disingenuous and was a substitute for protecting the United States.

Haley also blamed Biden for tempting Putin. On Feb. 7, as Putin was considering his options, she tweeted that the Russian president was   correct to view Biden as soft . “The world’s worst dictators realize just how weak Joe Biden is. It’s why Russia is eyeing Ukraine,” she wrote. Her words didn’t just deflect responsibility from Putin. They also signaled that he need not fear American retaliation. On Feb. 23, just before the invasion, she accused Biden of “ teasing ” Putin with weakness—the kind of language that’s sometimes grotesquely applied to survivors of sex crimes. The next day, as the attack was underway, she again blamed Biden, claiming that he had given Putin “ the green light .” “I don’t think Putin initially thought he wanted to go to war,” she asserted.

As America’s allies rallied to Ukraine’s defense, Haley insulted them. In an op-ed on Feb. 28, she called Germany “ Europe’s biggest slacker .” On March 2, she ridiculed European countries that were sanctioning Russia and sending aid to Ukraine. “Biden was following the Europeans,” she   scoffed   on Fox News. “When you’re following the Europeans, who love to hug it out, that’s not saying very much.”

Haley did endorse sanctions against Russia. But instead of dangling them over Putin’s head, with the threat of implementing them if he proceeded with the invasion, she said they should be applied   before   he went in. “ Biden should have already put sanctions on Russia, just to deter them ,” she told Newsmax on Feb. 1. On Sunday, during an appearance on NBC’s   Meet the Press , she reiterated that “we should have done all this before Putin did his first move.” By chastising Biden for failing to impose sanctions preemptively, Haley is trying to look tougher and savvier than he is. But that’s not how deterrence works. If you hit the enemy up front with everything you have—before he does what you’re trying to discourage—he has nothing more to fear from you. You’ve lost your leverage.

Like other critics of Putin, Haley thinks Russia should be ousted from the U.N. Human Rights Council. But if Russia won’t leave, her second choice is to oust the   United States . “Either Russia goes, or the U.S. goes. Biden has to make a choice,” she   told Kilmeade   on March 1. Again, this is the kind of gesture that’s meant to sound macho but is counterproductive. It would give Russia more freedom to dominate and abuse the council.

Haley’s most preposterous complaint is that Biden shouldn’t have   asked China to help dissuade Putin   from attacking Ukraine. “I was mortified that Biden went so far as asking China for help with Russia,” she sputtered on   Meet the Press . “You never ask an enemy for help with another enemy.”

That’s a shockingly illiterate statement. It contradicts the entire history of crisis diplomacy, most notably the   U.S./U.K.-Soviet alliance against Hitler . (As   Winston Churchill   put it: “If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons.”) And it wasn’t a slip: Haley has repeated it in other interviews since the war in Ukraine began. “ You never go ask an enemy for help with another enemy ,” she told Kilmeade on March 1. In another Fox News interview, she   asked   indignantly: “When you’re going to one enemy to get help with another enemy, do you know how weak that looks?”

Haley’s professed outrage about the overture to Beijing is completely fake. As she has acknowledged in moments of candor, the Chinese government   had leverage over Russia’s decision   and   doesn’t like   the way Russia has conducted the war. So she knows the bid for China’s assistance was the right move. Furthermore, she continues to   boast   that “when I was at the U.N., we passed three sets of massive sanctions against North Korea.” Haley obtained those sanctions by   collaborating   with   Chinese and Russian diplomats —yet she now calls Biden’s use of the same tactic “ naïve ,” “weak,” and “ humiliating .” Last week, she told Fox News, “The idea that Biden would go ask China for help with Russia   sickens me to my core .” A politician who lies to your face as she talks about her “core” is showing you she has no core.

She also has no courage. It’s easy for American politicians to talk trash about Putin. What’s hard is to stand up for democracy and the rule of law when those principles are threatened by a man who can derail your career. In Haley’s case, that man is Trump, not Putin. And when Haley is asked about Trump’s sabotage of NATO, his praise for Putin, and his attempts to overturn the 2020 election, her response is   thoroughly craven . “I’m not a fan of Republicans going against Republicans,” she   pleads .

On   Meet the Press , Haley chided liberals for excusing Putin and failing to take his threats seriously. “When tyrants speak, we should listen,” she proclaimed. But Haley doesn’t apply that rule in her own country. When Chuck Todd pointed out that Trump had repeatedly protected and excused Putin— dragging his heels   on congressionally mandated sanctions in 2017, delaying   more sanctions   in 2018, and   withholding military aid to Ukraine   in 2019—Haley insisted that what Trump had said or “tried” didn’t matter. All that mattered, she argued, was that the aid and the sanctions had eventually gone through. She falsely credited Trump for those aid and sanctions packages, and she pledged that in 2024, “If President Trump runs, I will not run.”

None of what Haley is saying about Ukraine is sincere. She knows that Trump, who   directly betrayed her   to delay sanctions against Russia, is a stooge for Putin. She knows we can stand up for Ukraine’s borders without surrendering our own. She knows it’s wise to seek one enemy’s help against another. She knows deterrence depends on holding penalties in reserve.

So why does she say the opposite? Because although she understands all of this, she thinks you don’t. She thinks you’re too dumb to know the difference.

Americans aren’t stupid ,” Haley told Fox News a week ago. She said of Biden: “He needs to quit treating them like they are.”

It’s too bad Haley doesn’t believe that. It’s too bad that for her, telling people they’re not stupid is just another part of the act.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

I was wrong about the gal, Nikki has succeeded in becoming icky.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

At one point, Haleys comet shown bright as the future of the party. But her orbit has changed as she flew too close to the black hole and now is but another assteroid destined to fly close, but have no impact. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

Wrong?  It is Nikki-Nikki-Nikki for gawd's sakes.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2    2 years ago

I'm talking of the sane Nikki from 6 years ago.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  bbl-1  replied to  Hallux @1.2.1    2 years ago

Sane?  Okay.  I'll take you at your word.  Personally, I shall digress.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

Pro Russian [Deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
2.1  CB  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    2 years ago

Yeah, no, I am not down with calling girls or women, the "c" word. These girls and women are our mothers (and humanity's resource), I can not abide this terminology. Sorry!

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  CB @2.1    2 years ago

Ah to be back in England ...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  CB @2.1    2 years ago

If they ask for it, and my wife calls them that, then fair game

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  CB  replied to  Hallux @2.1.1    2 years ago

That's vulgar (to me). I resent you thinking I needed to hear it, too. That said, do you boo. On a different not, I thought that was Dudley Moore's accent and it turns out it was him. I loved him in Arthur.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2  bbl-1  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    2 years ago

No.  Poor choice of an adjective---Adverb---or even a Pro-noun.  Haley is simply pro Nikki-Nikki-Nikki.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2    2 years ago

Nah, she is a cunt. No mistake made I proudly stand by it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

Flip Flop Nikki.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3    2 years ago

I heard her GOP nickname is sticky nikki.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  devangelical @3.1    2 years ago

You left out a 'k'.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.2  devangelical  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.1    2 years ago

oops, ha ha ha...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    2 years ago

She has more character in her left titty [deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 years ago

Because the gop respects women too? Right?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 years ago

Lol .... that’s why liberals here respect her and other conservative women so much.

Funny, very funny

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 years ago

She's a real RINO, I'll give you that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @4.2    2 years ago

Pro life, supports voter ID laws, against illegal immigration, etc, etc sooo .... you are wrong, once again.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 years ago
more character on her left titty than most here could muster in a lifetime

now we can agree.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    2 years ago

Deep as a mud puddle and sharp as a marble Nikki?

That Nikki?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

But you've got Kackling Kamala....narrow and shallow

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    2 years ago

The issue I see with some conservatives is this: Their political party doe not wish to respect the rights and privileges of non-conservative citizens in our own voting population; stripping liberals of their opportunities and liberties, and in their place stacking opportunities and liberties for themselves. Then, these same people attempt to moralize about what is good for people on far-far-away lands about how they should behave for "goodness" sake. It's so. . .inconsistent.

Haley's party of conservative 'values' wants Vladamir Putin to be a better Russian than she is a better rep to her own country of mixed diversity!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    2 years ago

Nikki was always a bit vacuous.  And since 'The Mar-a-Lago Dweller' got a leg shot she's become the vacuum she's always been.  Got some Indian heritage thing going on, dumped the Stars and Bars, decided to do 'The Stepford Thing' and stuck with the GOP.  In short, Haley has joined the droves of the MAGA LOST on the long trip of nowhere to go and all day to get there.

Nikki-Nikki-Nikki wants to run for president?  Go for it Nikki.  Wave the fetus, the flag and the gun.  The christian taliban await. 

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  JBB  replied to  bbl-1 @7    2 years ago

Wait till she pours on the know it all fundie bullshit...

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @7.1    2 years ago

Compared to any of the Dem women that have or could run for the presidency,  she is head and shoulders better than any of them. She is much better than the last woman that the Dems nominated for president. You know the one that couldn't even beat Donald Trump. She is far above the dolt that is currently holding the VP position. 

You all should have more respect for our next president and first woman elected to that position. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  arkpdx @7.1.1    2 years ago

They never learn. She's got the shit for brains crowd worried.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    2 years ago

She's getting a lot of flak so she must be right on target.