╌>

Trump voters having doubts about 'America First' policy as Ukraine fights off Russian aggression

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  6 comments

By:   Travis Gettys (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

Trump voters having doubts about 'America First' policy as Ukraine fights off Russian aggression
The war in Ukraine has tested the limits of Donald Trump's "America First" policy for some of his supporters.A recent survey found broad bipartisan support for punitive sanctions against Russia and its president Vladimir Putin, and self-described loyal Trump voters are alarmed by the death and destr...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

trump-supporters-portrayed-as-the-stupidest-most-gullible-people-on-earth-in-merciless-column.jpg?id=24497348&width=1000&height=537

The war in Ukraine has tested the limits of Donald Trump's "America First" policy for some of his supporters.

A recent survey found broad bipartisan support for punitive sanctions against Russia and its president Vladimir Putin, and self-described loyal Trump voters are alarmed by the death and destruction, reported NBC News.

"I don't think we're doing enough," said Mary King, an unemployed caregiver from northeastern Ohio. "Ask the public what they are willing to sacrifice. I pray every day to St. Nicholas to save the children in Ukraine who are in danger."

King went to a campaign event in Steubenville for Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance, who has questioned aid for Ukraine, but even some conservative Trump voters are willing to endure higher gas prices as a result of President Joe Biden's ban on Russian oil.

READ: Republican Madison Cawthorn slammed in scathing editorial for pushing Kremlin 'talking points'

"It's not going to cripple us," said Bob Heinly, a retired cardiac technician who went to Vance's event. "I invest in things that are important to me."

Heinly agreed with Vance's concerns about Russia forming a stronger relationship with China as the U.S. and other western nations back away from Putin, but he praised the president's handling of the war.

"I hate to say that Joe Biden and his administration have done anything right, but to a degree I think that this is a smart move, to reinforce the troops in these NATO countries," Heinly said.

Voters told NBC News they don't want American troops involved in the conflict, and none of them supported the enforcement of a no-fly zone over Ukraine, but they strongly supported aiding the country's fight against Russian aggression.

"Give them the weapons to be able to defeat the Russian air force — they're doing a hell of a job," said Mark Longo, a retired owner of a food service distributor in Steubenville.

The GOP voters also demanded that Biden boost domestic oil production to counter higher gas prices.

"We've got all the oil in the world right here in America," said Dave Johnson, chair of the Columbiana County GOP and owner of a tile company, "and that's where I will be critical of Biden. Their solution is, 'Let's just all drive electric cars.'"

SmartNews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

There is a long long way to go for Trump supporters to redeem themselves. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Trump supporters have nothing to redeem themselves for.

That is like asking those that voted the human fuck up machine currently in office to redeem themselves. It will never happen.

Heinly agreed with Vance's concerns about Russia forming a stronger relationship with China as the U.S. and other western nations back away from Putin, but he praised the president's handling of the war.

"I hate to say that Joe Biden and his administration have done anything right, but to a degree I think that this is a smart move, to reinforce the troops in these NATO countries," Heinly said.

Voters told NBC News they don't want American troops involved in the conflict, and none of them supported the enforcement of a no-fly zone over Ukraine, but they strongly supported aiding the country's fight against Russian aggression.

"Give them the weapons to be able to defeat the Russian air force — they're doing a hell of a job," said Mark Longo, a retired owner of a food service distributor in Steubenville.

That is a singular compliment- take it and be happy; because reality is going to set in hard come mid terms.

freepress
Freshman Silent
2  freepress    2 years ago

What they see is exactly what Trump wanted and it is also exactly what Trump wanted here as well evidenced by Jan.6 and the incitement against our law enforcement, against our laws and against our own democracy. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    2 years ago

Haven't Trump voters made themselves irrelevant?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @3    2 years ago

Haven't Trump voters made themselves irrelevant?

Yes, but that is the reason Trump is still touring.  He is doing his best to convince them that they are not as irrelevant as they actually are.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

They’ll continue to support Donald Trump if he murders someone in broad daylight on Fifth Avenue, but they can no longer support Vladimir Putin.