╌>

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Rejects Dolly Parton's Removal

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   Leia Idliby (Mediaite)

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Rejects Dolly Parton's Removal
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has rejected Dolly Parton's request to take herself out of the running as 2022 nominee.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Leia IdlibyMar 17th, 2022, 4:21 pm Twitter share button <?php // Post Body ?>

John Lamparski/Getty Images

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has rejected Dolly Parton'srequest to take herself out of the running as a 2022 nominee.

"All of us in the music community have seen Dolly Parton's thoughtful note expressing her feeling that she has not earned the right to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame," the official Rock Hall Twitter account stated Thursday. "In addition to her incredible talent as an artist, her humility is another reason Dolly is a beloved icon by millions of fans around the world."

pic.twitter.com/uO2cmMOcXc
— Rock Hall (@rockhall) March 17, 2022

The statement goes on to highlight Rock & Roll's "deep roots in Rhythm & Blues and Country music," adding, "It is not defined by any one genre, rather a sound that moves youth culture."

"Dolly Parton's music impacted a generation of young fans and influenced countless artists that followed," it continued. "Her nomination to be considered for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame followed the same process as all other artists who have been considered."

The statement went on to explain that all 17 nominations for the 2022 class have already been sent out to Rock Hall's 1,200 general ballot voters, clarifying that all, including Parton, will remain "for consideration for induction at our ceremony."

"We are in awe of Dolly's brilliant talent and pioneering spirit and are proud to have nominated her for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," the statement concluded.

The Rock Hall's tweet came after Parton, who was nominated for induction for the first time this year, took to Twitter on Monday morning to share that she doesn't believe she has "earned" the nomination.

❤️ pic.twitter.com/Z6LKfWtlxg
— Dolly Parton (@DollyParton) March 14, 2022

"Even though I am extremely flattered and grateful to be nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I don't feel that I have earned that right. I really do not want votes to be split because of me, so I must respectfully bow out," she wrote. "I do hope that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will understand and be willing to consider me again - if I'm ever worthy."

While Parton attempted to decline the nomination, she said it has inspired her to "put out a hopefully great" Rock album in the future, adding that it's something she's "always wanted to do."

"My husband is a total rock'n'roll freak, and has always encouraged me to do one," she wrote. "I wish all of the nominees good luck and thank you again for the compliment. Good luck!"

Others who were nominated for the first time include Beck, Duran Duran, Eminem, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, and A Tribe Called Quest.

Parton has turned down forms of recognition in the past, as she twice declined a Presidential Medal of Freedom from the Trump administration.

"I couldn't accept it because my husband was ill and then they asked me again about it and I wouldn't travel because of the Covid," she said during an interview on NBC's Today Show.

Parton added that she has since heard from President Joe Biden about the award, but still might not accept it as she famously avoids taking any form of political stance.

"Now I feel like if I take it, I'll be doing politics, so I'm not sure," she said.

Read the complete list of 2022 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees below:

1. Beck
  2. Pat Benatar
  3. Kate Bush
  4. DEVO
  5. Duran Duran
  6. Eminem
  7. Eurythmics
  8. Judas Priest
  9. Fela Kuti
  10. MC5
  11. New York Dolls
  12. Dolly Parton
  13. Rage Against the Machine
  14. Lionel Richie
  15. Carly Simon
  16. A Tribe Called Quest
  17. Dionne Warwick

—-

Have a tip we should know? tips@mediaite.com

Filed Under: Dolly PartonRock and Roll Hall of Fame Previous PostNext Post Previous PostNext Post

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Dolly Parton does not belong in the Rock n Roll HallOf Fame. Chubby Checker does though.  He had one of the biggest hits of the 1960's (The Twist) as well as many other hits that could be described as rock. 

LIMBO ROCK - Chubby Checker

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

The Hall has a category for singles and that song is in there, but yeah, he’s not as an artist.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    2 years ago

She's got more talent and success than most of the rest of them put together...the same could be said of Emmylou and Linda

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Based on the people that have been inducted over the past several years the name should be changed to the Music Hall of Fame.  I think it would be too difficult to have offshoot areas for each genre of music types but it stopped being the Rock and Roll hall of fame years ago.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @3    2 years ago

I agree with you about that. 

If you're going to put Dolly Parton in there then put Frank Sinatra in there. 

One of the problems they have always had is that pop music and rock music can sometimes be described interchangeably. For example, the Mamas and the Papas were not really a rock group but are considered to be one.  

The Rock Hall Of Fame is kind of an irrelevancy to me , created as a way to bring tourism to Cleveland. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

If it were a music hall of fame, then she definitely belongs there but she is not a rock musician.  I did read somewhere that she does plan to do a rock themed album next year though.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 years ago

For better or worse, the Hall ceased to be about just rock n roll a long time ago. I think Hank Williams was inducted in like the second year. And of course there a numerous soul and hip hop acts. Having said that, if they’re going to be putting country artists in, they need a lot more.

I like Dolly, but strictly speaking, I would induct her for her crossover appeal more than I would for just her country music. Maybe that’s what the folks at the Hall are thinking about?