╌>

Chicago-area church 'fasting from whiteness' during Lent

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   Yaron Steinbuch (New York Post)

Chicago-area church 'fasting from whiteness' during Lent
A church in suburban Chicago said it is "fasting from whiteness" during Lent, the 40-day period preceding Easter - by abstaining from performing hymns composed or written by white musicians.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A church in suburban Chicago said it is "fasting from whiteness" during Lent, the 40-day period preceding Easter — by abstaining from performing hymns composed or written by white musicians.

First United Church of Oak Park announced on its website that it "is doing a mix of 'giving something up' and 'taking something on.'

"In our worship services throughout Lent, we will not be using any music or liturgy written or composed by white people. Our music will be drawn from the African American spirituals tradition, from South African freedom songs, from Native American traditions, and many, many more," it said.

First United Church of Oak Park said it "will not be using any music or liturgy written or composed by white people" during Lent.Google Maps

"For Lent, it is our prayer that in our spiritual disciplines we may grow as Christians, united in the body of Christ with people of all ages, nations, races, and origins," the church added.

The house of worship also erected a "Fasting from Whiteness" sign on its front lawn, according to Turning Point USA, which reported that the church is using reflections and thoughts called "evotionals" for the "fast."

The outlet obtained alleged screenshots of a March 29 entry titled "Kindness and Privilege."

"We honor our fast from whiteness this Lent by prioritizing the voice of Bruce Reyes-Chow through a chapter of his book, 'In Defense of Kindness,'" it reportedly says about the minority pastor.

The First United Church of Oak Park erected a "Fasting from Whiteness" sign on its front lawn.First United Church of Oak Park

Reyes-Chow authored the 2016 book "Don't Be an Asshat: An Official Handbook for Raising Parents and Children" and 2013's "But I Don't See You as Asian: Curating Conversations about Race."

The excerpt published by Turning Point USA says people who oppose violent protests speak from a place of privilege — and should therefore refrain from trying to stop them.

"For many of us, being uncomfortable about public protests or what we perceive as aggressive expressions of frustration simply identifies our privilege and our ability to shield ourselves from the struggles that others are facing," Reyes-Chow reportedly wrote.

First United Church's members were encouraged to view the whiteness-free services on its YouTube channel.First United Church of Oak Park

"Most people do not engage in public protest or in expressing anger that may put risk on their life, work, or status. So when groups of people are pushed to their boiling point, the least helpful thing to do is to silence them," he wrote.

First United Church's members were encouraged to view the whiteness-free services on its YouTube channel, Turning Point USA reported.

In a video posted by the church, the Rev. Lydia Mulkey, identified as the associate pastor of education, explained the fast, the Washington Times reported.

"Our music will be drawn from the African American spirituals tradition, from South African freedom songs, from Native American traditions," First United Church announced on its website.First United Church of Oak Park

"In this fast from whiteness, of course, I cannot change the color of my skin or the way that allows me to move through the world but I can change what I listen to, whose voice I prioritize," Mulkey said.

"And so that is kind of the place for our worship services, through Lent, that we would fast for a time from prioritizing white voices," she added.

The Rev. John Edgerton, the church's lead pastor, did not respond to requests for comment by the Washington Times.

United Church's Chicago district executive presbyter said he supported the Oak Park church's decision to "listen to the minor players."Google Maps

The Rev. Craig Howard, the executive presbyter of the United Church's Chicago district, told the paper that he had not been aware of the "fast" at First United.

But he said he supported the move.
"I find it's like a reversal of the racialized reality in which we live," Howard told the Washington Times. "Where, in this reality, the assumption is that what is to be known, is what the majority culture, the white culture, determines or says these are the rules."

Howard said: "It sounds to me that they're kind of flipping it, saying instead of making the majority voice the loudest voice, we're going to listen to the minor players [who have not] been heard in the past, and make them the primary players again.

"They did not say, we're going to ignore the white voice. We're just going to now just tone it down and see what voice has come to the top and see what message we may get from those voices," he added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago
In comments that are sure to elicit more shrieking incandescence from the mob, Musk stridently affirmed that the “woke mind virus” represented “arguably one of the biggest threats to modern civilization.” “At its heart, wokeness is divisive, exclusionary, and hateful. It basically gives mean people… a shield to be mean and cruel, armored in false virtue,” thundered Musk.

https://yournews.com/2021/12/22/2270819/elon-musk-says-wokeness-is-one-of-the-biggest-threats/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CAt%20its%20heart%2C%20wokeness%20is%20divisive%2C%20exclusionary%2C%20and,during%20an%20appearance%20on%20The%20Babylon%20Bee%20podcast.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    2 years ago

First United Church of Oak Park said it "will not be using any music or liturgy written or composed by white people" during Lent.

Houston, they have a major damn problem.

Link to the staff of the church above.

Outside of a couple of exceptions (Chin and Kyle) they look mighty damn white. If they are really "Fasting from Whiteness" during lent; shouldn't that bar all white staff members and followers from attending church during that period of time? I mean their very "whiteness" being present screams "privilege"; and as leaders in the church their very position holds power. Also during lent all donations by white followers should be denied. Their money carries their "whiteness" taint; and would place undo influence on the needs it was intended for.

Hopefully there are some sane members of the congregation that will reward these woke morons by taking their spiritual needs elsewhere.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ronin2 @2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

How do you say your racist without saying your racist...."fasting from whiteness"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 years ago

They don't know it when they come face to face with it.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

"fasting from whiteness" during Lent, the 40-day period preceding Easter — by abstaining from performing hymns composed or written by white musicians.

Coincidentally, I decided to do the same this year.  I was just singing:

Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home
Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry he home x 2

Until my wife made me stop.  Later, when she leaves the house, I will sing " Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child " and a rousing fast, syncopated, Rocky my soul "

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

Racism knows no color or creed. It exists everywhere in one form or another. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    2 years ago
Racism known no color or creed.

Pitiful. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    2 years ago

What aroused pity in you?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    2 years ago

What do you find pitiful?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.1    2 years ago

I hear crickets chirping on a slippery slope.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    2 years ago

White people are not victims. Stop the nonsense here. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago
White people are not victims.

Exactly, who ever heard of a victim who happened to be white?  Can't happen, by definition.  

If a Blackman attacks an Asian American woman because of her race, it's not right, but not racism, by definition, right JR?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago

Elon Musk had it right. It's too bad that many didn't get to read the article.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago

How do you say your racist without saying your racist..."White people are not victims"

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago
"White people are not victims". 
Neither are the vast majority of black people.
A lot of hypocrisy and white liberal guilt on display at that church.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago
White people are not victims.

No one claimed victimhood status here, That is usually reserved for the "woke" folks.

Why are you once again arguing points no one but you bring up?

Stop the nonsense here. 

Indeed.

Perhaps the very best start would be to delete your post.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.5    2 years ago
Perhaps the very best start would be to delete your post.

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.5.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.5.1    2 years ago
Fuck off. 

No, don't think I will.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.5.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @6.5    2 years ago

The nonsense is adamantly believing that only blacks can be victims of racism.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.5.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.5.3    2 years ago

Well, of course it is plain old silly.

I can't figure out why race plays such an important part in some folks' lives.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7  SteevieGee    2 years ago

They may discover some new favorite hymns by doing this.  Of course, that may be a problem for some people on here.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    2 years ago

There’s nothing at all wrong with mixing up the hymns and liturgy. Injecting diversity into those facets of worship can be very enriching and inspiring. In fact, I would encourage it. Having said that though, “fasting from whiteness” sounds like some cringy virtue signaling.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    2 years ago

Who thinks up silly stuff like this?  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
9.1  SteevieGee  replied to  charger 383 @9    2 years ago

Christians.