╌>

Fashion companies just got caught labeling real fur “faux”—again

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  3 comments

Fashion companies just got caught labeling real fur “faux”—again

Fashion companies just got caught labeling real fur fauxagain

For several seasons now, fur has been fashionable on city sidewalks, turning up as trims and linings for hooded parkas, boots, and hats. As the anti-fur movement also continues to gather steam, lots of that fur is fake, made from synthetic fibers such as polyester and acrylic, and dyed to match the fur of real animals (or sometimes colors not found in nature ).

But some of these faux fur-labeled items are actually made from real animal pelts. On Friday, NBCs Today Show ran a segment in which the reporter Jeff Rossen took five items labeled as faux to be examined at a laboratory. Three coats, a sweater, and a pair of bootsadvertised as faux by brands including Michael Michael Kors, Jacadi, and Nordstrom Rackall turned out to be real fur.

Naturally, finger-pointing ensued, with retailers blaming brands and brands blaming suppliers, calling attention to opaque and convoluted supply chains. Indeed, the mislabeling happenedat different stages of production and selling. In the case of a fur-collaredcoatby Michael Kors diffusion line, Michael Michael Kors, the materialwas correctly labeled on the coatitself, but falsely identified as faux on the stores websitea clerical error, according to a spokesperson from Belk. (It was coyote fur.) Nordstrom acknowledged a similar error; Spokesperson Tara Darrow told Quartzthat a copywriter for the companys Haute Look website was at fault for themisidentified sweater featured on NBC.

Another retailerincluded in the report, Neiman Marcus, blamed the supplier of a pair of rabbit-fur-trimmed boots, which were labeledas faux fur.Clearly, a mistake has been made on the vendors end, said a spokeswoman in an email. We have removed the boot from the website and from our stores.

The vendor in this case was the shoe brand Aquatalia. We regret that, due to an inadvertent error, a small quantity of rabbit fur boots were mislabeled as faux fur,' an Aquatalia spokeswoman told Quartz, in an email. We are in the process of having this product properly labeled.

Incorrect labelingof fur is a disturbingly common occurrence. Last year, Neiman Marcus settled a similar case with the Federal Trade Commission, after jacketcollars and shoe decorations labeled fauxwere found to be real fur.

Why substitute real for fake? Some animal furs (such as those of raccoons and rabbits) are relatively cheap , while high-end faux fur that feels as softasthe real thing can be quite expensive.

It also happens thatvarieties of pelt arelabeled incorrectly. A Chinese member of the Canidae family oftencalled a raccoon dogmade news whenactivists and fashion brands couldnt agree on a name for it. It had beenlabeled as Finn raccoon, raccoon, and even faux fur when the Federal Trade Commission weighed in earlier this year, ruling that the animals furcouldbe marketed as Asiatic raccoongood news for retailers who dont want the labelsto deter dog lovers.

For those seeking to avoid animalfur, Rossen offeredsome tips for determining whether a pieceis real or faux but the only way to know for suremay be to source it yourself .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

For those seeking to avoid animalfur, Rossen offeredsome tips for determining whether a pieceis real or faux but the only way to know for suremay be to source it yourself .

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Well, I know my faux fur is faux fur, only because it didn't cost much. Besides, it has cloth on the bottom...

I do feel, STRONGLY, that it's way past time for the fashion industry to be regulated. Women's sizes should be STANDARDIZED.

I purchased some underwear, on line, my usual size. When it came, I could use it as sails for a boat... Then, I bought the same size, on line from another company, and they're too small!!! Come on, folks, this isn't that hard! I usually try on 50+ bathing suits before I find one that fits. It is just too much trouble, anymore. Even the specially ordered ones to fit my ridiculous measurements, don't fit... ARGHH!

They don't make my shoe size anymore, in the ladies shoes, I have to buy little girls shoes. At nearly 60 years of age, I'm NOT in the mood for Hello Kitty shoes. Gloves are a nightmare, as well-- I always have 1" of finger left on the smallest ones...

Of course, I must admit that it's hard to dress up a potato dumpling... Queen Victoria and I are shaped about the same... But STILL! There are a lot of us potato dumplings out there!

This whole faux fur/real fur mess makes me want to shake their collective teeth out.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I never buy clothes on-line..I have a terrible time finding clothes that fit me ! (that are age appropriate ,meaning no Barbie or Dora crap on them) sigh