╌>

Clarence Thomas Told His Clerks He Wants to Make Liberals Miserable

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gulliver  •  2 years ago  •  27 comments

By:   Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert (Business Insider)

Clarence Thomas Told His Clerks He Wants to Make Liberals Miserable
In a 1993 article in The New York Times, a former law clerk of the Supreme Court Justice said Thomas held a grudge against liberals for making his life miserable.
"The liberals made my life miserable for 43 years," a former clerk remembered Thomas – who was 43 years old when confirmed – saying, according to  The New York Times . "And I'm going to make their lives miserable for 43 years."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

623dda22a2e45b001950631e?width=700 Justice Clarence Thomas Drew Angerer/Getty Images

• In a 1993 New York Times article, a former law clerk of Clarence Thomas said he held a grudge against liberals.
  • The conservative Supreme Court Justice was resentful of the media coverage of his confirmation hearing.
  • "The liberals made my life miserable ... and I'm going to make their lives miserable," NYT reported he said.

(SPAM deleted)

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas told his law clerks he intended to serve on the highest court of the land to make the lives of liberals "miserable," according to a 1993 report from The New York Times.

Thomas, who was confirmed to the Supreme Court in 1991 amid contentious confirmation hearings, resented the media coverage surrounding his appointment. Central to the hearings were accusations and testimony about alleged sexual harassment of one of his subordinates, Anita Hill, who accused the justice of repeated, unwanted sexual advances and inappropriate conduct in the workplace.

He was ultimately confirmed in a 52-48 vote.

In a conversation with his law clerks two years following his confirmation, The New York Times reported Thomas expressed his desire to serve on the court until the year 2034.

"The liberals made my life miserable for 43 years," a former clerk remembered Thomas - who was 43 years old when confirmed - saying, according to The New York Times. "And I'm going to make their lives miserable for 43 years."

Thomas, considered the most conservative justice on the court, joined the majority opinion on Friday which overturned federal abortion protections established in Roe v. Wade. In a concurring opinion, Thomas indicated he also believes the Supreme Court should "reconsider" decisions from the cases Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell, which established the federal right to use birth control and legalized same-sex activity and gay marriage, respectively.

Sign up for notifications from Insider! Stay up to date with what you want to know. Subscribe to push notifications Deal iconAn icon in the shape of a lightning bolt.

Keep reading

NOW WATCH: Protests erupt after a leaked opinion shows Supreme Court may overturn Roe v. Wade

More:Clarence ThomasSupreme Courtsupreme court justiceConservative

• Liberal
  • Politics
  • New York Times

Chevron iconIt indicates an expandable section or menu, or sometimes previous / next navigation options. Close iconTwo crossed lines that form an 'X'. It indicates a way to close an interaction, or dismiss a notification.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1  seeder  Revillug    2 years ago
Make Liberals Miserable

Is there anything else that actually motivates conservatives these days? Do they have any plans to build or fix anything? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

You’ll find out in November.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    2 years ago

I will find that the GOP will be more than happy to translate its complete lack of plans to build or make anything better into actually building nothing and making nothing better?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    2 years ago

That translates as:  No, they have absolutely no plans to build or fix anything.   Zero.  Nada.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.2    2 years ago

Sure they do

They fix elections now, according to a lot of them that have testified in the 1/6 inquiry.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Gsquared  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.3    2 years ago

True that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Revillug @1.1.1    2 years ago

Time will tell.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.2    2 years ago

No, it translates to:

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.4    2 years ago

False that 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.7    2 years ago

False What ? The TRUTH. Cause there have been many Republicans Testifying that the election needed fixing , and most were willing participants at the actual real. attempt to not stop the steal. Trump and Cump most certainly promoted and attempted to change the results of the 2020 election, via any means available, to "fix" what never went wrong in one of the most secure elections, as it has been thoroughly investigated. Trump needs no proof and determines his own LYING TRUTH, and those who were forced to comply, to under oath, tell the actual story about the multiple methods to keep Trump in office,at any cost. Thomas's wife, needs to testify !  How the fck is it even optional, and WHY is it taking so damn long ? Trumps damage, to the institutions of this once great country are deep and lasting, and the ineffectiveness of legal means to counter a LYING THIEVING Elixir salesman, all because of the ignorance of his constituency and the support of pols who have accepted, and continue to accept, behavior Not Worthy  of a proven criminal illegal immigrant criminal, let alone elected officials elected to do the peoples business, yet only concerned with the business of wealth and power for they and thoselike they. it is just amazing. Our country has seriously sunken to a place ive not seen prior, and this is one of those slippery slope deals, you know, like gun control, but this one could actually go much further, and i think, the GOP is going to suffer the consequences for allowing Trump to be the Monster they created and then couldn't control, cause where else except  a place like Hell, could a snowball stand a chance to becoming an avalanche  where it could possibly snowball , as a snowball might snowball into a larger snowball into far more challenges to many set precedents. Personally, i believed Anita Hill back then, as Thomas continues to show what a scum bag he truly is. How he is not penalized for not recusing himself on cases brought before the Supreme court, where his flakey snakey wife, was a part of and under investigation herself, shows you who he is.  And who he has always been. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.8    2 years ago
False What ?

True that, that’s what.

Honestly iggy, you might need a Berlitz English reading comprehension course.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.9    2 years ago

Please specify your point of contention, cause i know u wish to say all, but don't lie to yourself , to justify protecting a blatant LIAR, for dragging the office of the President of the United States, through the muddied version of clouded obstruction coordinated to end result a false pseudo pseudo reality in which, by design, the ignorant and the ignorance inducers, become producers, of a failed product that our forefathers could NEVER have envisioned, as they attempted to create a perfect state, and it was not the constant state of          Denial 

that too many are definitely in denial  about being in   denial

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.10    2 years ago

English must not be your first language.    See above, apply, lather, rinse and repeat as necessary.

Knife, pomegranate, Reynolds wrap, petoskey stone .....

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.12  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.11    2 years ago

know comprenday

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.12    2 years ago

Que te pasta?

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.15  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.11    2 years ago
English must not be your first language.

That's not an appropriate thing to say to anyone on this website.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Revillug @1.1.15    2 years ago

How do you know?

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

Because  we have the ability to see what can be, unburdened by what has been, and then to make the possible actually happen. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  squiggy @1.2    2 years ago
Because  we have the ability to see what can be, unburdened by what has been, and then to make the possible actually happen. 

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

I'll have what he's smoking.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.2  squiggy  replied to  Revillug @1.2.1    2 years ago

"I'll have what he's smoking."

That is some really twisted language - a quote of Kamala Harris, speaking of an occasion to fix shit. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

Yup! We will fix the border to at least drastically reduce the number of illegal aliens and illegal and tainted drugs coming into the country. We will fix the energy problem and make the country energy independent again and a exporter of energy. We will make the U.S. into a world leader again instead of a world follower. There are more things we will repair that Biden and liberals have broken. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Hearsay reported  30 years ago... 

Breaking news!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago

Right in the lefts wheelhouse.

Next they’ll be calling in Dr Christine Ford to testify what happened that day in high school

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Is there anything that doesn't make liberals miserable? 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Right Down the Center @3    2 years ago

Being Miserable ?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     2 years ago

I think its safe to say , that his mere existance , makes what passes for liberals miserable 

and 2034 isnt really that far away ......

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5  arkpdx    2 years ago
I'm going to make their (liberals) lives miserable,"

I knew there was a good reason to like Justice Thomas.