╌>

Ota Benga (1883-1916) •

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  31 comments

By:   Force Publique (BlackPastOnline)

Ota Benga (1883-1916) •
Ota Benga was a teenage boy brought from his homeland in central Africa and displayed like an animal at the Bronx Zoo in New York City, New York. Benga was born sometime in 1883 in the Ituri Forest in what would soon become the Congo Free State (now … Read MoreOta Benga (1883-1916)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

In case you didn't catch the reference to Ota Benga. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Ota eventually killed himself, terrible story.  When he was exhibited in the zoo, the mayor of NYC was a Dem as were 47 of the 51 City Council members.  I imagine most of the zoo spectators were as well.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    2 years ago

He was exhibited at a New York zoo in 1906. Are you under the delusion that the Democratic Party in 1906 resembled the Democratic Party of today? 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    2 years ago

Or course not silly, no Party resembles what it was 116 years later.  They don’t stand still like perhaps you do.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.1    2 years ago

Then why did you bring it up? Mind wandering? 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    2 years ago

I’m sorry, do you want to hide from history.  Do you hide from 1619?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    2 years ago

During the time that he was exhibited the governors of NY were Republicans including Teddy Roosevelt and his famous quote. 

I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indian is the dead Indian,” he said in 1886, “but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth. The most vicious cowboy has more moral principle than the average Indian.”

With Roosevelt's racist bent he was probably front and center at the exhibit of Ota and his Republican minions in NYC were right there with him.

History doesn't spare blame or racism.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.2    2 years ago

Wow racism on both sides of the aisle, who would have thought? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.1    2 years ago
Wow racism on both sides of the aisle, who would have thought? 

Seems that you didn't.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.2.2    2 years ago

Why does it seem that way?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.3    2 years ago
Why does it seem that way?

This is your comment:

Ota eventually killed himself, terrible story.  When he was exhibited in the zoo, the mayor of NYC was a Dem as were 47 of the 51 City Council members.  I imagine most of the zoo spectators were as well.  

There was no reason to bring in a political party unless you were attempting to throw shade at the democratic party. If you truly felt there was racism on both sides of the aisle you would have pointed that out. Or that many whites in that era were racist, you did neither. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.2.4    2 years ago
If you truly felt there was racism on both sides of the aisle you would have pointed that out. Or that many whites in that era were racist, you did neither. 

Pointing out racism on the Repub side isn't needed here as most see and comment on it often.  Less acknowledged here is Dem racism.  I sure if you stop and reflect, you'll see that its so.  

Or that many whites in that era were racist, you did neither. ,

I assume that the NYC hierarchy as well as the zoo aficionados were white.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.5    2 years ago
Pointing out racism on the Repub side isn't needed here as most see and comment on it often.  Less acknowledged here is Dem racism.  I sure if you stop and reflect, you'll see that its so.  

I don't see it as so. There are numerous comments on the racism of the dem part going back to the civil war, KKK, and southern Democrats. Perhaps you should take a closer look. or you haven't been an NT member long enough to see it. I could name the persons that point that out dem racism and the history but that would be a violation. 

I assume that the NYC hierarchy as well as the zoo aficionados were white.  

And that assumption did not address the fact that the NY State hierarchy was republican and white. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.2.6    2 years ago
And that assumption did not address the fact that the NY State hierarchy was republican and white. 

Indeed, Northern white racists of both Parties. Perhaps shocking to those that think this is a Southern, Repub phenomena. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.7    2 years ago
Indeed, Northern white racists of both Parties. Perhaps shocking to those that think this is a Southern, Repub phenomena. 

I don't know about others but being a minority and from the ''deep north'' and living in the south part of my life I'm quite cognizant of racism from whites both dem and rep, north and south.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Ender  replied to  Kavika @2.2.8    2 years ago

North, South aaannnd West of the Pecos....

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Kavika   replied to  Ender @2.2.9    2 years ago
North, South aaannnd West of the Pecos....

Yes, indeed. History is not kind to the racism that the US exhibited in all of the states. CA, AZ, NV, NM, UT have a particularly ugly racist past. So does WY, MT, OR, WA and even Alaska and Hawaii.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

Human Zoos were quite popular in the 1800s and early 1900s in Europe and the US. Of course, the inhabitants of the zoos were indigenous people, black, NA etc.

I guess that if they couldn't enslave or kill indigenous people make zoo animals out of them.

The case of Ota Benga is another sad example of how indigenous people were looked at by whites.