╌>

Couple Locked Inside a Keyless Car Nearly Wins Darwin Award

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  32 comments

Who knew this could cause such confusion?

If you believe automotive technology is developing faster than humanity can keep up with comprehending it, this news story will prove your point.

A couple in New Zealand almost didnt make it out of their car alive when they couldnt figure out how to exit it. Their inability to exit their Mazda3 had them locked inside a keyless car for almost 13 hours.

After Getting Locked Inside a Keyless Car, This Couple Will Always Remember the Fifth of November

While everyone in the little town of Alexandra, Otago (population less than 5,000) was out celebrating Guy Fawkes Day, Mollieanne (65) and Brian Smith (68) were locked in akeyless car in their own garage . At least, they assumed they were.

A series of events led the couple to believe they were stuck in their newly-purchased Mazda3 hatchback with no way of escape: the remote keyless entry fob was outside the car, the car manual was left in the house, it was late (apparently 7:00pm is late for some people), everyone was out celebrating the holiday

Rather than thinking to unlock the vehicle the traditional way, as it has been done for decades, the couple attempted to break through the glass with car jack (which failed due to their weakened state) and honking the horn (which failed, according to Mollieanne, because the Guy Fawkes Day fireworks were too loud).

Calling thisa near-death experience isnt an exaggeration. The couple was discovered by neighbors at 7:45am the next day, with Mrs. Smith unconscious and Mr. Smith struggling to breathe. According to emergency services, they were potentially less than an hour away from death.

The Smiths blamed much of it on their confusion about how keyless entry worked, pointing to their dealership salesman who supposedly told them the car wouldnt work without the transponder.

Two Ways of Reacting to the Life-Changing Incident

It wouldnt be a humorous story had the couple not lived to tell about it, and were thankful theyre alive. Its questionable whether authorities and forensics wouldve been able to identify why the couple was sitting in their vehicle so long.

But the story doesnt end here.

Mr. Smith, who couldnt figure out a way to unlock the door,admitted, Once I found out how simple it was to unlock it I kicked myself that I did not find the way outI had this mind-set that I did not have the transponder [so I could not get out].

Mrs. Smith, on the other hand, has reacted much differently, going public with her plight to raise awareness about keyless vehicle dangers, receiving support from multiple elderly folks.

This entire incident largely occurred because the New Zealand couple assumed they couldnt get out of their own car. And we all know what happens when someone assumes, right?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

horn (which failed, according to Mollieanne, because the Guy Fawkes Day fireworks were too loud).

Calling thisa near-death experience isnt an exaggeration. The couple was discovered by neighbors at 7:45am the next day, with Mrs. Smith unconscious and Mr. Smith struggling to breathe. According to emergency services, they were potentially less than an hour away from death.

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Gotta love it...24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 36.gif

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    10 years ago

Kinda reminds me of the lady who couldn't unlock her car because the battery on the remote had died. I asked for her keys, put the key in the lock and unlocked the door for her.

Nona62
Professor Silent

OMG!!!! TOO FUNNY!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...(FOREHEAD SMACK) DUH!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Smile.gif And just about everything is computerized

. On just about everything....

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

A Blondstar joke. It finally came true. I love this story.

OMG, I was looking around on YT and found a real call for emergency help. I am speechless.

Nona62
Professor Silent

And to think that these people procreate...and vote!!ROFLOL !!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

I understand.

We went to a Christmas party this year, and I couldn't turn the faucet off in the bathroom. I had no idea how I turned it on, either. It was like a gear shift, not like any faucet I've ever seen before.

Whatever happened to KISS? (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Oh no Dowser...what did you do?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Went back to the party, excused myself to the hosts, and said, "I'm very sorry, but I can't turn the water off in the bathroom sink. I hate to be dumb, but obviously, I'm good at it... This is like being in outer space!"

Everyone laughed and they came and turned it off-- showing me how in the process... Yeah, I felt stupid, but it was REALLY a complicated faucet, with no markings as guides... Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Oh...poor Dowser! At least you washed your hands.....Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yeah... It was a Christmas party at a doctor's house, so I'm glad I did! Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It looked like this:

2781_discussions.jpg

But more on the side, straight out. No markings. Anyway, you take this gearshift thing and move it up or down for hot/cold and left/right for on and off. I was flummoxed!

I felt like an idiot! :-)

Nona62
Professor Silent

hhhmm...I'm assuming the piece where the water comes out of can be lifted up and used as a spray,and the lower lever is for the hot and the cold...(just guessing)...sigh

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

All I know is she turned it off by taking the "stick" and moving it to the left. Forward or backward was for hot/cold. Don't ask me which!

This model has something on the back of the place where the water comes out, the other one was plain. God only knows if it disattached! Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

All I know is she turned it off by taking the "stick" and moving it to the left. Forward or backward was for hot/cold. Don't ask me which!

OMG! I never would have figured that out either..

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

ha ha. I've seen some of those. You have to spend half an hour fiddling with them to figure them out. Life should not be that difficult.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Life is difficult enough without the complicated technology!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I can only agree!

I stood there, at the bathroom sink, thinking, "I'm a college graduate-- I should be able to figure this out." Yeah, that didn't work.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I'm glad zippers are easy.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Sometimes the simplest things become the most difficult to solve!! Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

I'm glad zippers are easy. ROFL !

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

But they do bite, sometimes. And that's awful. I recall the scene from the movie There's Something About Mary.

I'm sure it's happened to every guy with a zipper.

Nona62
Professor Silent

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

OOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

OUCH!!! That hurts!

Right after heart surgery, I caught my new scar on a zipper, but fortunately, I was still numb! It bled for a while... Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Oh Dowser...that could have been very serious!!!Frown.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Is MJ legal in New Zealand?Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

New Zealand Marijuana Laws

New Zealand Marijuana Laws The use, possession, cultivation, sale, and administration of cannabis are prohibited under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1975 and associated regulations. Listed in Class C1, cannabis carries a penalty for use or possession of a fine up to $500 and/or imprisonment of three months. The cultivation of cannabis could lead to a jail term of up to two years and the sale or supply of cannabis could result in a jail term of up to seven years. Cannabis can only be used or supplied with the special permission of the Minister of Health.

An individual caught in possession of more than 28 grams of cannabis or 100 cannabis joints is considered as a dealer unless he or she can prove otherwise.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

They must have got it on their last trip to Colorado.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

They must have got it on their last trip to Colorado LOL..