╌>

Gun control advocates stunned man who allegedly shot Indiana mall shooter labeled 'Good Samaritan' | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  46 comments

By:   Michael Lee (Fox News)

Gun control advocates stunned man who allegedly shot Indiana mall shooter labeled 'Good Samaritan' | Fox News
Critics took to Twitter to express frustration that a man with a concealed pistol permit who put a stop to a mass shooting in an Indiana mall was being hailed a hero.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

closeVideo

Hero civilian shoots, kills Indiana mall gunman

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Critics are lashing out after a man carrying a concealed pistol stopped a mass shooting at an Indiana shopping mall, arguing the man should not be called a "Good Samaritan."

"The term, 'Good Samaritan' came from a Bible passage of a man from Samaria who stopped on the side of the road to help a man who was injured and ignored," wrote CBS4 traffic anchor Justin Kollar on Twitter Monday. "I cannot believe we live in a world where the term can equally apply to someone killing someone… my God."

Kollar's comment comes after a gunman opened fire at a suburban Indianapolis shopping mall on Sunday, killing three people before he was gunned down by a man legally carrying a pistol, according to police. Reports on Monday found that the man who put a halt to the shooting was actually in violation of Greenwood Park Mall policy, which bans the carry of weapons in its facility.

Greenwood Mayor Mark Myers credited the man with saving several lives by killing the shooter, saying they were grateful for his "quick action and heroism."

INDIANA SHOPPING MALL SHOOTER SHOT DEAD BY ARMED 'GOOD SAMARITAN,' POLICE SAY

Investigators on the scene of the crime. (Facebook/@Ty J S)

"Someone we are calling the 'Good Samaritan' was able to shoot the assailant and stop further bloodshed," Meyers said in a statement. "This person saved lives tonight. On behalf of the City of Greenwood, I am grateful for his quick action and heroism in this situation."

But some critics joined Kollar in criticizing the man's actions despite him allegedly putting a stop to the mass shooting.

"The Good Samaritan paid for an unknown immigrant's health care out of pocket," comedian John Fugelsang wrote on Twitter. "The Good Samaritan did not shoot anyone. Jesus was not a fan of killing for any reason, including self-defense. But if these ammosexuals had ever read the Bible, they couldn't support the GOP or NRA."

"I don't know who needs to hear this but when a 22-year-old illegally brings a loaded gun into a mall and kills a mass shooter armed with an AR-15 after he already killed three people and wounded others is not a ringing endorsement of our implementation of the Second Amendment," Moms Demand Action Founder Shannon Watts said on Twitter.

Police gather outside a Dick's Sporting Goods. (Facebook/@Ty J S)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

But despite the man's apparent lack of regard for mall rules, his actions were also praised by Greenwood Park Mall representatives.

"We grieve for the victims of yesterday's horrific tragedy in Greenwood. Violence has no place in this or any other community. We are grateful for the strong response of the first responders, including the heroic actions of the Good Samaritan who stopped the suspect," a mall spokesperson said.

Michael Lee is a writer at Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @UAMichaelLee

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

In case someone might have missed this story.

A good guy with a gun stopped a shooter.

No innocents were harmed by the good guy.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

gee, I wonder if the cops let the good samaritan keep the shooter's maga/militia hat as a souvenir.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

Doesn't Dicken already have his own?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago
gee, I wonder if the cops let the good samaritan keep the shooter's maga/militia hat as a souvenir.

Now, that sounds like something you would concern yourself with instead of the facts in the article.

Typical and expected.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

so 1 out of almost 300... I'll take the no one having guns odds. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2    2 years ago
o 1 out of almost 300... I'll take the no one having guns odds. 

Yeah, okay, now just make sure you convince those intent on committing mass shootings to give up their guns.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

I suppose for the gun control freaks mentioned in the article, a mass shooting being stopped is frowned upon.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2    2 years ago

Nope, just negligible. As negligible as a shooting where fewer than 4 people are shot. Insignificant.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    2 years ago
Nope, just negligible.

Hmmm. Negligible is definitely not what I would term stopping a mass shooting. I would call it heroic.

To each their own, I guess.

As negligible as a shooting where fewer than 4 people are shot. Insignificant.

Insignificant? Tell it to the victims' families. Wow them with your compassion.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Are these the same people who are apoplectic that the Uvalde police didn't storm the room and 'take out' the shooter?

Maybe the euphemism makes all the difference.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Sounds like they are pissed that what happened goes against their narrative and now they're crying.  They should take stock in Kleenex.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    2 years ago
Sounds like they are pissed that what happened goes against their narrative and now they're crying.

What percentage of mass shootings are stopped by a civilian with a gun? 

Alternatively, what percentage of mass shootings are committed by a civilian with a gun?

Let's compare the 2 numbers, shall we?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1    2 years ago
Alternatively, what percentage of mass shootings are committed by a civilian with a gun?

Missing the correct terminology here. The term you are looking for is criminal. As a subsection to your question how many criminals are carrying guns illegally- when red flag laws don't work; and the gun laws in place are not enforced? 

Criminals don't care about laws, period. Civilians do.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1    2 years ago

Do you also want to compare mass shooting victims with non-mass shooting homicides to see which is the bigger problem?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1    2 years ago
What percentage of mass shootings are stopped by a civilian with a gun? 

Let's compare the 2 numbers, shall we?

Emphasis mine.  Since this wasn't a mass shooting your whole premise is shot.  Quit with the childish bs and when you have something comparable come back.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1    2 years ago

"What percentage of mass shootings are stopped by a civilian with a gun?"

Not Enough!

"Alternatively, what percentage of mass shootings are committed by a civilian with a gun?"

Apples  and  Oranges!   Did you mean to say a criminal or deranged civilian with a gun?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    2 years ago
Missing the correct terminology here. The term you are looking for is criminal.

Please explain to me, how in a country where you are considered innocent until PROVEN guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court of law, a person in the middle of a mass murder could convicted in court?

Also please explain how a "criminal" (in your words), loses his American citizen status.

Criminals don't care about laws, period. Civilians do.

I simply cannot wait to see your soon to be provided link to that official definition.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.2    2 years ago

Do you also want to compare mass shooting victims with non-mass shooting homicides to see which is the bigger problem?

Maybe in a different thread.  Staying on topic for now.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.3    2 years ago
Since this wasn't a mass shooting your whole premise is shot.

What premise?  I asked for a comparison of the numbers.  Not sure where you came up with the concept of a premise when I specified 3 questions.  Questions do not a premise make.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1.6    2 years ago
Staying on topic for now.

Homicide is homicide and dead is dead.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.9  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.8    2 years ago

Some would rather go off on some dumbass tangent than just admit that a good guy with a gun took down a potential mass shooter.

Guns are so scary!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1.7    2 years ago

Quit with the childish bs and when you have something comparable come back.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.3    2 years ago
In the United States, the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012 defines mass killings as three or more killings in a single incident, [3] however the Act does not define mass shootings. Media outlets such as CNN and some crime violence research groups such as the Gun Violence Archive define mass shootings as involving "four or more shot (injured or killed) in a single incident, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter"

I believe this incident qualifies. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.11    2 years ago

I believe this incident qualifies. 

We've seen what you "believe".  Not as credible as you think you are.  And you half assed linked a web page that anybody can change instead of the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    2 years ago

Leftists only want criminals to have guns damn it!

"But the hero was carrying a gun illegally against mall rules"- the mall doesn't seem to care. He saved them from a huge multimillion dollar lawsuit. With 3 dead and who knows how many injured the suit will be big enough already. The mall failed to protect those under it's rules and care. 

Criminals don't care about laws or rules.

Maybe now the left will understand what the term "soft target" means. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1  Snuffy  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 years ago

Absolutely horrible how that 'No Guns Allowed' sign didn't prevent him from conceal carry into the store...  However did he not see and obey that sign..   /s

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @6.1    2 years ago
Absolutely horrible how that 'No Guns Allowed' sign didn't prevent him from conceal carry into the store... 

Maybe the mall will ban him for life.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @6.1    2 years ago

Heaven forbid that maybe, just maybe, the young man did not see the sign!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

He is not a good Samaritan, he is a hero.

squiggy
Junior Silent
8  squiggy    2 years ago

The police were only minutes away.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  JohnRussell    2 years ago

While extremely commendable, the man who shot the Indiana shooter is not a "Good Samaritan" by the standards of the biblical parable.

The parable of the Good Samaritan is told by Jesus in the Gospel of Luke.

It is about a traveler who is stripped of clothing, beaten, and left half dead alongside the road. First, a Jewish priest and then a Levite come by, but both avoid the man. Finally, a Samaritan happens upon the traveler. Although Samaritans and Jews despised each other, the Samaritan helps the injured man. Jesus is described as telling the parable in response to a provocative question from a lawyer, "And who is my neighbor?", in the context of the Great Commandment.

The conclusion is that the neighbor figure in the parable is the one who shows mercy to the injured fellow man—that is, the Samaritan.

The Good Samaritan parable has to do with helping people that others have refused to help. I dont think that applies in this case. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
10.1  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @10    2 years ago

"...highly predictable comments..."

Not really.  I've never seen the Bible cross-examined - that's novel.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @10    2 years ago
The Good Samaritan parable has to do with helping people that others have refused to help. I dont think that applies in this case

You sure know your Bible, JR.  Thanks for sharing.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
10.3  mocowgirl  replied to  JohnRussell @10    2 years ago
The Good Samaritan parable has to do with helping people that others have refused to help. I dont think that applies in this case. 

What "help" would have prevented this man from killing people?  

Who is responsible for providing that "help"?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @10    2 years ago

Instead of focusing on one word, why don't these dumbasses worry about the victims a little instead of what someone who STOPPED an attack is called?

Is THIS what their life's work amounts to--bitching over inconsequential bullshit words?

It's apparent what is most important to some liberal yahoos. Fucking labels.

Pitiful fucking idiots.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @10.4    2 years ago

What, and have the hard core anti gunners actually acknowledge the fact that a good guy with a gun was in the exact right place at the right time to prevent further death and tragedy? You cannot be serious. That would ruin their whole narrative! Not to mention they had to resort to arguing semantics to try to tear down the that young man who was a hero to make themselves feel better. So pathetic and sad...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.4.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @10.4.1    2 years ago

These twits bitching about a WORD are really killing me. I didn't know that stupid twits were allowed computer privileges.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Reading some of these highly predictable comments is interesting. 

They miss the forest for the trees. 

The forest is the fact that just 13 days after the 4th of July mass shooting, an incident with an apparent copy cat motivation took place in a public setting. The shooter in Indiana was 20 years old.

Jonathan-Douglas-Sapirman.jpg

He went to a place where there was a lot of people going about everyday business (eating) and intended to kill as many people as possible. He had three guns and 100 rounds of ammunition on him when he was killed. This was the model of weapon he used. Look familiar?

6085659_01_sig_sauer_m400_classic_ar_15_m_640.jpg

The pattern is set. What will be done about it?

Apparently nothing except the hope that there will always be a "good samaritan" around to successfully intervene. 

That is not the reality of what most often happens. Usually the good guy with a gun is shot himself, or cannot act quikly enough to PREVENT the shooting.

Now we are supposed to be happy that only six people were shot by a maniac? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @11    2 years ago
What will be done about it?

Not a goddamn thing is going to be done about it because the weapon is not the problem.

Apparently nothing except the hope that there will always be a "good samaritan" around to successfully intervene. 

At the rate those who are afraid of inanimate objects keep trying to disarm the public, you're right.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.1    2 years ago

Your "inanimate objects" excuse was lame the first time you tried it. What are we up to now, a dozen ?  A flamethrower is an inanimate object too, so why should anyone be alarmed if they saw someone walking down the street with one? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.1    2 years ago

I'm surprised that no one was alarmed when Sapirman went into the mall carrying two rifles, a pistol and over 100 rounds of ammo. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.1    2 years ago

And yet you still display your fear of something that cannot move or function without somebody manipulating it.  I've got an M198 two blocks from my house.  Using your mindset my whole neighborhood should be living in fear.

Until you want to discuss and tackle the real problem I'm going to continue to call out your stupidity.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @11    2 years ago

Well, JR, you should probably support dumbass Democrats who want to pass more useless laws that we don;t even know will be bothered to be enforced by dumbass liberal Soros' DA;s.

That has worked so well so far, right?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2    2 years ago

Yep. As usual the Dems want to pass more ridiculous laws while refusing to properly enforce the already existing ones.