╌>

Harris breaks 50-50 deadlock to advance landmark climate, tax, health bill | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  53 comments

By:   Alexander Bolton (The Hill)

Harris breaks 50-50 deadlock to advance landmark climate, tax, health bill | The Hill
The Senate voted along party lines Saturday afternoon to advance a sweeping bill to reform the tax code, tackle climate change and lower the cost of prescription drugs, taking a big step closer to giving President Biden a major victory before the November midterm elections. The Senate voted 51 to 50 to proceed to the 755-page bill,…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Alexander Bolton - 08/06/22 7:39 PM ET
harriskamala_070822ap-evan-vucci_harris-abortion-1.jpg?w=2000&ssl=1 AP-Evan Vucci

The Senate voted along party lines Saturday afternoon to advance a sweeping bill to reform the tax code, tackle climate change and lower the cost of prescription drugs, taking a big step closer to giving President Biden a major victory before the November midterm elections.

The Senate voted 51 to 50to proceed to the 755-page bill , after Vice President Kamala Harris arrived at the Capitol to cast the tie-breaking vote.

The vote puts the bill on a trajectory to pass the Senate sometime Sunday, barring an unexpected setback, such as the sudden absence of a Democratic senator.

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) hailed the bill's impending passage as a major achievement.

"The time has come for the Senate to begin debate on this historic piece of legislation. The Inflation Reduction Act is a groundbreaking bill for the American people, for families struggling to pay the bills, for seniors struggling to pay for medication, for kids struggling with asthma," Schumer said on the floor moments before the vote.

"This is one of the most comprehensive and impactful bills Congress has seen in decades," he declared promising it would reduce inflation, lower drug costs, fight climate change and close tax loopholes.

The procedural vote sets up 20 hours of debate to be divided evenly between Democrats and Republicans followed by an open-ended series of amendment votes, known as a vote-a-rama.

Members of both parties, however, predict they will yield most of the time back to move more quickly to considering amendments.

Senate Republicans expect votes on between 40 and 50 amendments.

A final vote will happen sometime Sunday.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) argued the legislation "will kill American jobs and hammer our manufacturing sector" and "have no meaningful impact on global temperatures whatsoever."

He warned that empowering Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices will hurt research and development in the pharmaceutical industry.

"The policy would bring about a world where many fewer drugs and treatments get invented in the first place," he said.

Republicans want to inflict as much political damage on vulnerable Democratic incumbents such Sens. Mark Kelly (Ariz.) and Raphael Warnock (Ga.) by forcing votes on border security, domestic energy production, inflation and crime.

Democrats have their own plan to force Republicans to take a tough vote on capping the out-of-pocket costs of insulin bills at $35 a month.

They expect to challenge a ruling by the Senate parliamentarian against a provision sponsored by Warnock to cap insulin prices. Democrats say Republicans who vote to sustain an objection to the insulin provision are undermining an effort to fight inflation and help Americans with diabetes.

The broader legislation will raise approximately $740 billion in revenue by implementing a 15 percent corporate minimum tax, empowering Medicare to negotiate lower prescription drug prices and imposing a 1 percent excise tax on stock buybacks.

The Senate voted Saturday to begin debate on the Inflation Reduction Act after receiving an updated analysis of the bill from the Congressional Budget Office. CBO estimates the bill will reduce the deficit by $100 billion over the next decade.

Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), who negotiated the bill, say it will shrink the deficit by more than $300 billion over ten years.

The corporate minimum tax will raise $258 billion in revenue but will exempt full expensing deductions for businesses across all sectors — a change that Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) negotiated with Schumer.

Giving Medicare authority to negotiate lower drug prices is projected to save the government $288 billion over ten years and the excise tax on stock buybacks will raise $74 billion.

Another $124 billion in revenue will come from improving operations at the IRS and beefing up enforcement of tax compliance.

It would spend $369 billion on energy security and climate change programs estimated to reduce global warming emissions by 40 percent by 2030.

It would provide money for consumer home energy rebates, grants to make affordable housing more energy efficient and tax credits to accelerate domestic manufacturing of solar panels, wind turbines and batteries.

It would provide generous tax credits to buy new and used electric vehicles, though critics of the bill say those credits couldn't be used immediately as they don't apply to vehicles with batteries produced in China or dependent on Chinese minerals.

It would extend expiring health insurance premium subsidies under the Affordable Care Act another three years at a cost of $64 billion.

A group of Senate Democrats worked Saturday afternoon to persuade Democratic colleagues to vote against supporting any amendments to the bill, as it could upset the delicate compromise negotiated by Schumer and the two centrists who held out for months: Manchin and Sinema.

"I'm not voting for amendments. I'm trying to keep this bill clean and get it out of here. It's too important."

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) says he plans to offer an amendment to dramatically expand Medicare's authority to negotiate lower drug prices, which he says would raise $900 billion over ten years.

He wants to use the money to expand Medicare by lowering the eligibility age to 60 and extending adding comprehensive dental, vision and hearing benefits.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Excellent!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Democrats were told last time they passed a big-ass bill it would lead to higher inflation.

Looks like they are doubling down on stupid.

I sure hope voters remember which party is in charge while we suffer from this inflation.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    2 years ago

Hey man, it’s only transitionary ...... 

Problem is their definition of “transitionary” is much, much longer than ours.    Years or more even.

Everyone who voted for Biden owns this tanking economy.

Absolutely owns it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

"This is one of the most comprehensive and impactful bills Congress has seen in decades," he declared promising it would reduce inflation, lower drug costs, fight climate change and close tax loopholes."

It will do none of that

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

As one of the main Biden cheerleaders here regarding the economy, can you explain how spending billions more will lower inflation?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    2 years ago

All but insuring double digit inflation into the near future.

Not good, not good at all.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3  Gsquared    2 years ago

Instead of supporting legislation that will greatly benefit the American people, the Republicans want the American people to suffer in the hope that will help them win an election.  As always, the EVIL Republicans put party first.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3    2 years ago

Like most liberals I know.    You’ve got the cart way ahead of the horse ..... obtusely hoping the cart still gets you there.

Sad.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    2 years ago

Like every reactionary I know.  You are making your argument based on propaganda instead of facts.  

Sad.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.1    2 years ago

You are in denial my friend but don’t take my word for it.     The tanking economy will do it for you as this latest handout accelerates inflation even faster.   Of course, you’ll likely be in denial about that as well.

Such a sad state of affairs .....

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.2    2 years ago

You are very confused.  YOU are in total denial, living in a world where reactionary propaganda and your feelings are in control.

I don't ever take your word for anything.  To do otherwise, I would have to be divorced from reality.

The sad state of affairs is the reactionaries constant touting of false narratives hoping they can convince the ignorant and uneducated with their dissembling and propaganda.  There is a reason the reactionaries' god, trump, declared:  "I love the poorly educated."

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.3    2 years ago

Lol .....

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Gsquared @3    2 years ago
Instead of supporting legislation that will greatly benefit the American people

And where is this legislation?  Keep in mind that we haven't seen a single piece of legislation from the Democrats that will "greatly benefit the American people" in decades.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2    2 years ago

Sorry, but your propaganda doesn't sell here.  Maybe you'll have better luck in Hungary.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.1    2 years ago

Thanks for proving my point.  Thanks for showing there isn't any legislation from the Democrats that will "greatly benefit the American people".

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Gsquared  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.2    2 years ago

Your only "point" is a loser propaganda talking point, and you're digging your hole even deeper.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.3    2 years ago

Oh what's wrong?  Did I make you cry and that's why you resorted to name calling?  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Gsquared  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.4    2 years ago

You're as confused as your cohort.  I'm laughing at your loser comments 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.4    2 years ago
Oh what's wrong?  Did I make you cry and that's why you resorted to name calling?  

Perhaps a last resort because there was no answer given to what you asked.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.6    2 years ago

That's what I'm thinking as well.  But then again, with the left, when they have nothing they resort to childish behavior.  And then they wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2    2 years ago

Keep in mind that we haven't seen a single piece of legislation from the Democrats that will "greatly benefit the American people" in decades.

Like the PPACA?  Now your turn, example of a republican piece of legislation that will benefit the average American.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.8    2 years ago
Like the PPACA?

The ACA benefits some people, at the expense of others.

Small businesses pay far more for health insurance than they did.  Young people are forced to subsidize Baby Boomers.  Drug companies have run amok at the expense of working families who have to pay all or part of their own premiums.  

It's actually a really poorly written law.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Gsquared  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.7    2 years ago

Your contribution to the "discussion":

Keep in mind that we haven't seen a single piece of legislation from the Democrats that will "greatly benefit the American people" in decades.

It's pretty funny that you're complaining about me not responding to that childish nonsense.

No one with more than half a brain (that leaves out the reactionary types) would take anything you have said on here seriously.

Better for you to play with your reactionary cohorts.  I treat trolling comments with all the respect they deserve, none.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.10    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.8    2 years ago
PPACA

I guess you missed the part where I sad "greatly benefit the American people".  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.12    2 years ago
I guess you missed the part where I sad "greatly benefit the American people".

I guess you missed the part where I said, "now it's your turn".

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.13    2 years ago

I can't find anything from the democrats that "greatly benefit the American people".  It appears you can't find anything either.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.14    2 years ago
I can't find anything from the democrats that " greatly benefit the American people".  It appears you can't find anything either.

You simply need to open your eyes.

New Reports Show Record 35 Million People Enrolled in Coverage Related to the Affordable Care Act, with Historic 21 Million People Enrolled in Medicaid Expansion Coverage

35 million Americans have benefitted from PPACA.  Like I said, YOUR TURN .

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.15    2 years ago

Still waiting on your legislation that would "greatly benefit the American People".  Once you provide that, I'll respond.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.17  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.16    2 years ago
Still waiting on your legislation that would "greatly benefit the American People".  Once you provide that, I'll respond.

So the 35 million Americans that benefitted from the PPACA don't count to you?  This means 2 things.

1. You have nothing to provide, so you will not accept anything.
  2. You are basically just trolling.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.18  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.17    2 years ago

Still waiting on your legislation that would "greatly benefit the American People".

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.19  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.18    2 years ago
Still waiting on your legislation that would "greatly benefit the American People".

Go away troll, I will not be replying after this point.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.20  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.19    2 years ago
Go away troll

Oh look.  Another one who can't answer a question so they resort to name calling.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gsquared @3    2 years ago
upporting legislation that will greatly benefit the American people

How do Americans benefit from higher gas prices, inflation? I'm sure corporations like solyndra will enjoy the billion dollar subsides taken from waitresses and landscapers by invasive audits, but how will ordinary Americans benefit from having less money? 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Gsquared  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    2 years ago
how will ordinary Americans benefit from having less money?

40 years of right-wing "trickle-down" policies has devastated the American economy and eviscerated the middle class.  Your question is best directed at the proponents of the "trickle-down" farce.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.3.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    2 years ago

“How do Americans benefit from higher gas prices, inflation?”

The real question, so conveniently ignored, is what exactly is an ‘American’ these daze?

One bent upon looking back, or one acknowledging the hope of looking forward? 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @3.3.1    2 years ago
40 years of right-wing "trickle-down" policies has devastated the American economy and eviscerated the middle class.

We have had a Dem President for 18 of those 40 years, a Dem led House for 22 and a Dem led Senate for 20 years.  Dems hit the trifecta for 6 of those years, so why has Reagan's policies lasted so long?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @3.3.2    2 years ago
what exactly is an ‘American’ these daze?

We ain't got no citizenship papers, we don't need to show you no stinkin papers.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @3.3.2    2 years ago
The real question, so conveniently ignored, is what exactly is an ‘American’ these daze? One bent upon looking back, or one acknowledging the hope of looking forward? 

He asked a real question, one which you conveniently ignored with your deflection.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.3.3    2 years ago
We have had a Dem President for 18 of those 40 years, a Dem led House for 22 and a Dem led Senate for 20 years.  Dems hit the trifecta for 6 of those years, so why has Reagan's policies lasted so long?

The conclusion I come to is that Democrats can not lead while in the majority, being totally incapable of changing what they claim needs changing, and can not seemingly stop the dastardly GOP from running roughshod over them while Democrats are in the minority.

Makes you wonder why Democrats continue to vote for abject failure.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Gsquared @3.3.1    2 years ago
40 years of right-wing "trickle-down" policies

By far the biggest "trickle-down" perpetrator in your lifetime was Barack Obama.

eviscerated the middle class.

Three things eviscerated the American middle-class.  

1. NAFTA
  2. The Panamax freighter
  3. American public schools

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.3.8  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.6    2 years ago

“The conclusion I come to is that Democrats can not…

…fill in the blank for us, tex…just to confirm the oh so obvious bias. 

Go on, as you must……

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.9  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @3.3.8    2 years ago
“The conclusion I come to is that Democrats can not…

…fill in the blank for us, tex…just to confirm the oh so obvious bias. 

Go on, as you must……

Did you read my whole post, or just stopped after copying what you thought you could respond to?

Here are the blanks filled in for you AGAIN since it obviously missed it:

Democrats can not lead while in the majority, being totally incapable of changing what they claim needs changing, and can not seemingly stop the dastardly GOP from running roughshod over them while Democrats are in the minority. Makes you wonder why Democrats continue to vote for abject failure.

Maybe this second chance to read my post will work better than your first chance did.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    2 years ago

So will the House pass the bill as written or will the Progressives in the House demand changes?  What will the final outcome be and how will it impact November?  We can be assured that both sides will use it in their campaigning. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  Texan1211    2 years ago

A benefit to Americans?

Can anyone explain what in the bill will actually reduce inflation?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @5    2 years ago

It won’t.    Dems simply know this will be one of their last shots before they lose the house and senate this fall.    So .... last chance for awhile to line their pockets by spending like drunken sailors.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
Can anyone explain what in the bill will actually reduce inflation?

No, because it can't,  but they didn't want to call it BBB(-). 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7  Gsquared    2 years ago

For those who are incapable of doing research into the deflationary effect of the Inflation Reduction Act (and, unfortunately, would likely not understand it if they did): 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @7    2 years ago

By research, you mean like the CBO?

In calendar year 2022, enacting the bill would have a negligible effect on inflation, in CBO’s assessment . In calendar year 2023, inflation would probably be between 0.1 percentage point lower and 0.1 percentage point higher under the bill than it would be under current law, CBO estimates.... Enacting the bill would affect economic activity and inflation beyond 2023. CBO has not evaluated those effects. 

Or the Penn Wharton Budget Model

PWBM estimates that the Inflation Reduction Act would reduce non-interest cumulative deficits by $248 billion over the budget window with no impact on GDP in 2031. The impact on inflation is statistically indistinguishable from zero . An illustrative scenario is also presented where Affordable Care Act subsidies are made permanent. Under this illustrative alternative, the 10-year deficit reduction estimate falls to $89 billion.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1    2 years ago

The sources I cited address the Penn Wharton argument and effectively counter the CBO's finding.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @7.1.1    2 years ago

Uh-huh.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.2    2 years ago

You have to understand, that opinion, like rising inflation months ago, is just transitionary.

Until, like 40 year high inflation, it is not.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
7.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Gsquared @7    2 years ago

The report from the Committee on Finance estimates a deficit reduction, but fails to include all funding, credits and subsidies that would most definitely chisel away at any estimated "reduction." Hell, the bill proposes some 80 billion in additional IRS funding...but the COF doesn't even consider that in its numbers, because it is allegedly waiting on numbers from the CBO. Also fails to include the impact from prescription drug and ACA subsidies. In all, it is bullshit, because it does not include the increased funding, credits and subsidies that will be seen in the first few years of this thing, and their bottom line is relying on those first few years of "deficit reduction" for which they are not accounting for everything. 

Years 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2022--26 2022-31
Net Total
11,538 3,361