╌>

Olivia Newton-John, Beloved ‘Grease’ Actress & Singer, Dies at 73

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  ender  •  2 years ago  •  22 comments

By:    Paul Grein

Olivia Newton-John, Beloved ‘Grease’ Actress & Singer, Dies at 73
Newton-John had been open about her breast cancer journey since she was first diagnosed in 1992 at the age of 43.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Olivia Newton-John, beloved actress and singer best known for her role as Sandy Olsson in Grease and for a long string of hits topped by 1981's "Physical," died on Monday (Aug. 8). She was 73.

Her official Facebook page confirmed the news, noting: "Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family's privacy during this very difficult time."

The post continued, "Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund (ONJFoundationFund.org)."

Newton-John was one of the most popular recording artists of the 1970s and 1980s. She was also a notably nimble artist - moving from early country music hits like "Let Me Be There" to mainstream pop hits like "Have You Never Been Mellow" to sexier, edgier fare like "Make a Move on Me."

She was also one of the first artists to have significant success in video. She won a Grammy for music video of the year for her 1982 collection "Olivia Physical." She was only the second artist to win a Grammy for video, following Michael Nesmith for "Michael Nesmith in Elephant Parts."

Newton-John amassed five No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including "Physical," which was only the second song in Hot 100 history (following Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life") to log 10 weeks at No. 1.

She had back-to-back No. 1 albums on the Billboard 200: If You Love Me, Let Me Know (1974) and Have You Never Been Mellow (1975). She also starred with John Travolta in the blockbuster Grease, which was the top-grossing film of 1978. The film soundtrack spent 12 weeks atop the Billboard 200 and wound up with a Grammy nomination for album of the year.

Newton-John was born Sept. 26, 1948, in Cambridge, England, but was raised in Melbourne, Australia. At age 16, she won a talent contest trip to England. She sang with Pat Carroll as Pat & Olivia. She sang with the group Toomorrow in a British movie of the same name.

Newton-John landed her first hit in 1971 with a wistful cover version of Bob Dylan's "If Not for You." The song reached No. 25 on the Hot 100 in September 1971. But her immediate follow-ups fell short. She made her first sustained impression on the charts starting in 1973 as a pop-country singer. She had seven top 10 hits on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, climbing as high as No. 2 on that chart with the jaunty "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)."

She won several major awards for country. She won a Grammy for best country vocal performance, female for "Let Me Be There," an ACM Award for most promising female vocalist of 1973 and a CMA Award for female vocalist of the year for 1974. (She also received CMA nominations that year for entertainer of the year, album of the year and single of the year.) But there were detractors too who felt that she and John Denver were pop artists who were invading their space.

In 1974, her elegant (critics invariably said "melodramatic") recording of "I Honestly Love You" became her first No. 1 hit on the Hot 100. It went on to win Grammys for record of the year and best pop vocal performance, female. Newton-John was the first female vocalist to win Grammys for both country and pop. Three other women — Anne Murray, Linda Ronstadt and k.d. lang — have since followed her lead.

Newton-John's follow-up single, "Have You Never Been Mellow," also topped the Hot 100. It was written, as were many of her hits, by John Farrar, an underrated songwriter who perfectly understood Newton-John's voice and appeal. He singlehandedly wrote five of Newton-John's 15 top 10 hits: "Have You Never Been Mellow," "You're the One That I Want," "Hopelessly Devoted to You," "A Little More Love" and "Magic." He also teamed with Tom Snow to write a sixth, "Make a Move on Me."

In addition to her four Grammy Awards, Newton-John set records at the American Music Awards. She was the first woman to win favorite female pop vocalist four times. That stood as the record until Whitney Houston tied it in 1993. Taylor Swift made it a three-way tie when she won her fourth award in the category in 2019, but Swift has since won twice more to set a new record.

Few remember now, but Newton-John's pop recording career had cooled just a bit in 1976 and 1977. Grease, released in 1978, took her to a new level of stardom. The album gave her three top five hits, "You're the One That I Want," an exhilarating collab with Travolta that reached No. 1; "Hopelessly Devoted to You," a solo ballad that climbed to No. 3; and "Summer Nights," another collab with Travolta (joined this time by the Grease cast), which reached No. 5.

"Hopelessly Devoted to You" received an Oscar nomination for best original song. In April 1979, Newton-John performed the song on the Oscar telecast.

In 1980, she starred in another film, Xanadu, which was not a box-office hit, though it spawned a hit soundtrack album (No. 4 on the Billboard 200) and gave Newton-John two more top 10 hits, "Magic," a lovely, midtempo ballad that spent four weeks at No. 1, and "Xanadu," a spirited collab with Electric Light Orchestra that reached No. 8.

Grease probably extended the peak of Newton-John's career by at least five years. Like her character in Grease, Newton-John shed her sweet, rather bland image and adopted a sexier, more contemporary persona and moved into rhythmic, midtempo tracks that were miles away from "Have You Never Been Mellow."

The most obvious result was "Physical," which was rather risque for its time. The twist ending in the music video, in which two gay gays hold hands, was progressive for its time when it was released in 1982. (The video for Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe," more than 30 years later, used a similar "surprise" twist ending.)

Several of Newton-John's Hot 100 hits were collaborations. In addition to her aforementioned team-ups with Travolta and ELO, she teamed with Andy Gibb for the Barry Gibb-written ballad "I Can't Help It" (1980), Cliff Richard for "Suddenly" (also from Xanadu) and David Foster for "The Best of Me," which Foster co-wrote with Jeremy Lubbock and a pre-fame Richard Marx. She also sang an uncredited backing vocal on John Denver's "Fly Away," a lovely 1975 ballad from Denver's Windsong, a No. 1 album on the Billboard 200.

Newton-John also headlined a series of TV specials for ABC, including A Special Olivia Newton-John, Olivia Newton John-Hollywood Nights and Olivia Newton John: Let's Get Physical. All three received Emmy nominations in technical categories.

Newton-John landed her 15th and final top 10 hit on the Hot 100 in January 1984 with "Twist of Fate," from the film Two of a Kind, in which she reunited with Travolta. But then, rather suddenly, her run was over. Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Houston and a new generation of female stars took over.

Newton-John's last three hits on the Hot 100 (or the Hot 100 Airplay chart) were new twists on her old hits. In 1996, she and Travolta scored an airplay hit with "The Grease Megamix." In 1998, she scored with a new version of "I Honestly Love You," produced by Foster and Tony Brown. In 2010, she joined the Glee Cast for a revival of "Physical."

Newton-John is survived by her husband John Easterling; daughter Chloe Lattanzi; sister Sarah Newton-John; brother Toby Newton-John; nieces and nephews Tottie, Fiona and Brett Goldsmith; Emerson, Charlie, Zac, Jeremy, Randall, and Pierz Newton-John; Jude Newton-Stock, Layla Lee; Kira and Tasha Edelstein; and Brin and Valerie Hall.

Within hours of her death, her old co-star and friend John Travolta posted on Instagram: "My dearest Olivia, you made all of our lives so much better. Your impact was incredible. I love you so much. We will see you down the road and we will all be together again. Yours from the first moment I saw you and forever!" He signed it "Your Danny, your John!"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ender
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Ender    2 years ago

RIP

Ender
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Ender    2 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I thought this was the best scene in the movie.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

I really liked the ending...

shona1
PhD Quiet
4  shona1    2 years ago

What a sad morning...

We have lost two wonderful Aussie music icons in two days... Judith Durham and now Olivia..

Thanks for the wonderful songs and memories...

You will be both missed very much...

🇦🇺🇦🇺🥀🥀💔💔

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @4    2 years ago

My wife is crying right now while watching Grease.  She was 28 when she played this girl brilliantly.  

She was a wonderful advocate for so many cause, especially cancer, such a vicious disease.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.1  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    2 years ago

Morning drinker...yes she has made the path just a little bit easier for those of us that do battle with cancer...

Her cancer wellness centre in Melbourne she helped build has a wonderful reputation and they will be shattered...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @4.1.1    2 years ago
Morning drinker...yes she has made the path just a little bit easier for those of us that do battle with cancer...

Mine was a two year battle with two series of chemo and the Mother of all Surgeries, Cytoreductive surgery with HIPEC in between.  

I gained strength after my Stage 4 diagnosis as I read of her and others struggles.  Like her, I shared my battle on line with friends and workmates.

She believed in the power of positive thinking and its effect on healing and recovery, and that clearly helped me. 

Olivia Newton-John never let cancer run her life, she lived beyond it for a third of her years with us. A great inspiration for us all, just like Judith Durham’s brave resiliency.  

Wonderful, brave, strong and engaging woman.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.3  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.2    2 years ago

Morning..yes I had a stem cell transplant 2.5 years ago which were my own cells, chemo, radiation etc...and on going treatment... Melbourne is 5 hours away by car for me and often think of the Beatles song...The long and winding road...

Multiple myeloma is my bug, has no cure but it can be "put to sleep"...for how long who knows and I just take each day as it comes.

For me it is the sea...just wish I could get in it more often but as I live in Victoria it's to cold in winter and autumn.

Still I love to walk along the beach the smell of it clears the head and renews the soul..

I don't worry about the stages, have no idea where I sit...all I want to know is what the three month blood test is showing and that's enough. Never have been one to get bogged down with the details..

Stay strong, do what you want, when you want...

Enjoy life, live long and above all stop and smell the roses..the world truely is a remarkable place and see you in the stars...🐨🐨

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.4  shona1  replied to  shona1 @4.1.3    2 years ago

My special place...

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Ender  replied to  shona1 @4.1.3    2 years ago
“They approached me and asked if I would lend my name to a cancer center. And because of my experience with cancer years before that, I said I would put my name to it, if they would build a wellness center on the hospital grounds, as well," she says. "That way you would have the best of Western therapy, but you’d also get the support for the body, mind, and spirit. That was the motivation and it took 10 to 15 years to get it built. I’m very proud of it.”

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @4.1.3    2 years ago
Multiple myeloma is my bug, has no cure but it can be "put to sleep"...for how long who knows and I just take each day as it comes.

Thank you for sharing, that’s my take away as well, I try to treat every day as special, not taken for granted as before.

I don't worry about the stages, have no idea where I sit...all I want to know is what the three month blood test is showing and that's enough. Never have been one to get bogged down with the details..

Same here, I paid no attention to mortality rates as they were general and I’m an individual.  I’m tested 4 times a year, CAT and blood and I don’t look beyond those results.

Stay strong, do what you want, when you want... Enjoy life, live long and above all stop and smell the roses..the world truely is a remarkable place and see you in the stars...🐨🐨

You got that right, I have much to be thankful for, especially my strong family and close friends.  We rented a beach house on the Gulf of Mexico this late Spring, my first time with people in two years.  It was wonderful and so refreshing.  I can see that you are resilient, and I look forward to hearing from you half a world away for a long time.

India and Australia are my two big bucket list destinations.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.7  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.6    2 years ago

Yes I just looked at it..

Ok can't change it as much as you wish you could, so just get on with it...

You would be more than welcome in the Land Down Under...

And you would have to try Vegemite...regardless of what some people say..🦘🦘

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @4.1.7    2 years ago

Thanks, I look forward to the trip.  WRT Vegemite, I tried it after hearing:

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
Six foot four, full of muscle
I said, "Hey, do you speak-a my language, buck?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich

I now regularly enjoy it on toast with butter and a cold Carlton Draught or Victoria Bitter, Cheers.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.2  Hallux  replied to  shona1 @4    2 years ago

You still have Robyn Archer.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.2.1  shona1  replied to  Hallux @4.2    2 years ago

Morning Hallux...never heard of her I am afraid...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    2 years ago

God speed Olivia Newton-John.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     2 years ago

A sad day....

Olivia was one of my favorites. Can't ever forget her and Travolta in ''Grease'' and their rendition of ''You're the One That I Want''....

Years ago I was in the Sydney airport and she walked by, I did a double take to be sure that it was her and sure enough, it was. A great memory, since I was a great admirer of her. John Travolta lives just north of Ocala at his fly-in home. 

RIP 

shona1
PhD Quiet
6.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @6    2 years ago

Oliva also helped build a cancer wellness centre in Melbourne. What a wonderful legacy she has left behind..

She was always gracious and a generous person...a quiet achiever who loved life, family and people..

A generous spirit who has gone to soon...

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @6.1    2 years ago

She was a real advocate for cancer research/wellness. I always thought of her as a real person, not a movie star or singer. 

A generous spirit who has gone to soon...

Indeed, way way too soon.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Ender    2 years ago
“It’s a chronic condition that I live with and that’s the beauty of it today, that you can,” she explains. “I use a lot of medical cannabis that my husband (John Easterling) grows for me which helps with pain and sleep. It has some incredible benefits and I’m a big advocate.”

This made me love her even more...

Ender
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Ender    2 years ago

I didn't know she had a book.