╌>

Shippers prepare for worst as Rhine levels near critical low | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   AP NEWS

Shippers prepare for worst as Rhine levels near critical low | AP News
Shipping companies prepared to halt the transport of goods on the Rhine as water levels in Germany's biggest river neared a critically low point Saturday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

August 13, 2022 GMT1 of 6 A container ships passes Pfalzgrafenstein castle in the middle of the river Rhine in Kaub, Germany, Friday, Aug. 12, 2022. The Rhine carries low water after a long drought period. (AP Photo/Michael Probst) 1 of 6 A container ships passes Pfalzgrafenstein castle in the middle of the river Rhine in Kaub, Germany, Friday, Aug. 12, 2022. The Rhine carries low water after a long drought period. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

Shipping companies prepared to halt the transport of goods on the Rhine as water levels in Germany's biggest river neared a critically low point Saturday.

An ongoing drought affecting much of Europe has lowered rivers such as the Rhine, preventing large ships with heavy loads from passing key waypoints and forcing them to use smaller vessels or to split cargoes into multiple shipments.

At one bottleneck, near the town of Kaub on the Middle Rhine, an official gauge measured the water level at 37 centimeters (14.6 inches) on Saturday afternoon. Big, heavy ships can't pass if the level falls below 40 centimeters (15.7 inches).

While the depth of the shipping lane in Kaub was still about 150 centimeters (59 inches), experts say passage becomes tricky even for light or specially adapted cargo ships if water levels fall below 35 centimeters (14 inches) at the gauge mark. A reading below 30 centimeters (11.8 inches) is considered unpassable.

Shipping authorities predict that point could be reached early next week, though it is unclear whether water levels will reach the record low of 25 centimeters measured at the Kaub gauge in October 2018.

Logistics company Contargo said Friday that it was preparing to halt shipping on the Upper and Middle Rhine for safety reasons and planned to shift some of its cargo onto trucks.

Road and rail freight capacity is limited, however.

Companies along the Rhine that rely on ships to receive raw materials and deliver finished goods are expected to face delays and shortages. Coal-fired power plants and gas stations could also see supply shortages, if shipping on the Rhine is halted.

Meteorologists forecast rain in the coming days, though it was unclear whether it would be enough to keep water levels on the Rhine from dropping to a point that affects shipping.

In Italy, authorities allowed more water from Lake Garda to flow out to parched local rivers like the Po that farmers use to irrigate crops. Combined with Italy's worst drought in decades, the country's largest lake is nearing its lowest-ever recorded water level.

___

All contents © copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ender
Professor Principal
1  Ender    2 years ago

I am missing something here. It is measured at 14 inches yet it is 59 inches.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @1    2 years ago

I think it is 14 inches at just some spots along the river.  The main shipping lane is 59 inches for most of the course of the river, but in localized spots, it's lower than that.

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.2  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1    2 years ago

I think it's saying if the gauge, at its location, falls below 11.8" then there wouldn't be enough water in the shipping lane for traffic to pass. The gauge isn't located in the shipping lane.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.2    2 years ago

Ah. Thanks to both of you. Even five foot seems really shallow to me for those big container ships.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @1.2.1    2 years ago

I don't know if the pic is representative of barge traffic on the Rhine, but it looks a bit smaller than the barges I'm used to seeing on the Ohio River.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    2 years ago

I was lookin up a little about the Mississippi. I read one piece that said the lowest point was about 12ft.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    2 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

In Italy the Poe river is running dry, and in France a major river is running dry. Huge wildfires, lakes drying up and no rain. Not good.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

I am starting to think the old doomsday movies were correct.

The new gold will be water.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Ender @2.1    2 years ago

I read a very interesting book some years back the focal point is that the next great war will be fought over water, not oil.