╌>

Beto O'Rourke's Chances of Beating Greg Abbott in Texas Governor Race

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  33 comments

By:   Ewan Palmer (Newsweek)

Beto O'Rourke's Chances of Beating Greg Abbott in Texas Governor Race
The Democrat hoping to unseat the Republican in November's midterms has been behind Abbott in the past 26 Real Clear Politics surveys, dating back to June.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrat Beto O'Rourke's chances of pulling off a victory in the race for Texas governor looks increasingly unlikely as yet another poll gives the Republican incumbent Greg Abbott a healthy lead.

According to a survey from Texas Hispanic Policy Foundation (TXHPF) and local TEGNA television stations, Abbott leads O'Rourke by 51 percent to 44 percent among likely voters and 53 percent to 43 percent among the most likely (almost certain) voters.

The survey also showed that with just a few weeks until November's midterm elections, few voters said they are undecided or willing to switch their allegiances.

The results showed only 3 percent of likely voters and 2 percent of most likely voters are undecided as to who they will vote for Texas governor in November.

"Gov. Abbott's strength among rural and Anglo voters continues to bolster his intransigent structural support in the 2022 race for Texas Governor," said Jason Villalba, CEO of the TXHPF.

"While O'Rourke has shown himself to be a worthy and hard-working adversary, unless there is a marked shift in the composition of the November electorate, Governor Abbott will remain the political and thought leader of Texas politics. Only new voters will be able to shift the tide."

O'Rourke, who failed in his 2018 Senate run against Texas Republican Ted Cruz and also had an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020, was the overwhelming winner in the Democratic gubernatorial primary in March, with more than 91 percent of the votes.

However, the former congressman, 50, looks almost certain to fail in his attempt to unseat Abbott in November, with Real Clear Politics' collection of polls showing that O'Rourke has been behind Abbott in the past 26 surveys, dating back to June.

The TXHPF poll arrived just days after another survey gave Abbott a seven-point lead over O'Rourke.

The Spectrum News and Siena College survey released on September 21 showed Abbott with a 50 percent to 43 percent lead over his Democratic challenger.

An Emerson College Polling/The Hill poll conducted September 20-22 gave Abbott an 8-point lead over O'Rourke (50 percent to 42 percent).

When broken down, the data shows that Abbott is the preferred choice for white voters (60 percent to 35 percent) and Hispanic voters (46 percent to 42 percent), while O'Rourke has far more support from Black voters in Texas, 78 percent against 12 percent.

When asked about abortion—a key campaign issue for the Democrats in the wake of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade—49 percent of Texas said they align with Abbott's view to ban the procedure in almost all circumstances, while 44 percent align with O'Rourke's bid to keep abortions widely available in the state.

"Among those much more likely to vote because of Roe overturning, 62 percent plan to vote for O'Rourke. For those to whom it makes no difference, 72 percent plan to vote for Abbott," said Spencer Kimball, executive director of Emerson College Polling.

Newsweek has contacted O'Rourke for comment.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
When broken down, the data shows that Abbott is the preferred choice for white voters (60 percent to 35 percent) and Hispanic voters (46 percent to 42 percent), while O'Rourke has far more support from Black voters in Texas, 78 percent against 12 percent.

Hard to win a statewide race in Texas with only majority black support.

So much for turning Texas purple or blue this year, I guess.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    2 years ago

If he would have been more moderate I think he would have had a shot. He just throws out these batshit crazy ideas that turns people off.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago

Perhaps, but no one can hop up onto a table like Beto can.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 years ago

The old Tom Cruise “crazy for coco puffs” maneuver ......

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 years ago

Or skateboard across a stage or parking lot.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.2  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago
He just throws out these batshit crazy ideas that turns people off.

Beto can't help himself. He is batshit crazy! He is after all a liberal and a Democrat. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Ender  replied to  arkpdx @2.2    2 years ago
He is batshit crazy! He is after all a liberal and a Democrat. 

I would classify myself as Liberal, not necessarily Dem. So there for I am crazy.

I guess there is a reason I don't like people standing close to me...

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.2.1    2 years ago
So there for I am crazy.

You said it I didn't but if the shoe fits...

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Ender  replied to  arkpdx @2.2.2    2 years ago

Some people just can't be decent human beings...

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.2.3    2 years ago

I agreed with you, sort of, and I am not being decent? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 years ago

People know they can’t trust him.    

He’s a flip-flopping, flimflam man.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    2 years ago
Governor Abbott will remain the political and thought leader of Texas politics.

What a tragedy for Texas.

The day after the Uvalde shooting Abbott went to a political fundraiser.  He is a piece of crap. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago
The day after the Uvalde shooting Abbott went to a political fundraiser. 

Should he have stayed offering thoughts and prayers?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    2 years ago

Perhaps he should have followed Beto's lead and made an ass of himself?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    2 years ago

Maybe he should be applauded for following Lori Lightfoot's sterling example of persevering and going into work the day after many people are killed, after all, she does so regularly there in Chicago.

Gee, how many liberals have managed to be faux-offended over her?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    2 years ago

Yes, but with Beto it just comes naturally...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

Coming from an Illinoisan .... that is hilarious.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
4.3  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

Chicago has a “uvalde” every weekend. What has mayor beetle juice done about it? Nothing. 

George
Junior Expert
4.3.1  George  replied to  Gazoo @4.3    2 years ago

The victims in Chicago aren’t white so democrats don’t care. Unless of course they can blame the police.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  George @4.3.1    2 years ago
The victims in Chicago aren’t white so democrats don’t care.

It's that the SHOOTERS aren't white.  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.4  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago
The day after the Uvalde shooting Abbott went to a political fundraiser. He is a piece of crap. 

And I am went to bed while brave American were being killed in Benghazi and did nothing to send them assistance and went to a fund raiser the next day. 

Did you call Obama a " piece of crap" also.

Did you call Hillary Clinton a " piece of crap" for trying to color coordinate the rescue party's clothing instead or sending them for assistance?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @4.4    2 years ago

Next time try to make some sense. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.4.2  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.1    2 years ago

I make more sense than you usually do. You just don't like what I said but can't deny it happened. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.4.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.1    2 years ago
Next time try to make some sense. 

There it is.  You get proven wrong and a hypocrite and you go for the personal attacks.  At least you're consistent.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.5  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago
The day after the Uvalde shooting Abbott went to a political fundraiser.

Would that have brought any of the victims back to life?

Did Beto resurrect any of them by being there?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

The day after the Uvalde shooting Abbott went to a political fundraiser.  He is a piece of crap. 

Abbott was a busy guy.  He only had a couple days to prepare for the NRA convention after a mass shooting.  Didn’t stop him though - that’s dedication.

George
Junior Expert
4.6.1  George  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.6    2 years ago

Can you believe the POS raised money off the school shooting……sorry, my bad, wrong POS!

They won the campaign handily and even had $14.2 million to spare, but the Obama-Biden campaign is still raising money, this time off the president's comments about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Connecticut

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.6.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.6    2 years ago
Didn’t stop him though - that’s dedication.

Yeah, the NRA didn't have anything to do with Uvalde, and the world continued to turn.

Of course, Abbott could have pulled some grandstanding little stunt like Beto did, but why make himself look an even bigger fool than Beto?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.6.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.6    2 years ago
NRA convention after a mass shooting

Yeah.  Linking 2 completely unrelated things really does the trick.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Democrats seem to do this every election cycle here--get all hopped up thinking they will be the ones to turn Texas, only to be disappointed with who runs and their ultimate, predictable failure.

George
Junior Expert
6  George    2 years ago

Beto: Hell yes we are coming for your AR15’s!

The only thing I can guarantee you is that Beto lacks the stones to be the first one through that door.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Ahh Democrat Beto O'Rourke.  The pandering bottom feeder who just can seem to grasp that people don't want him in office because of the moronic policies he runs with.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

No matter what, he is still the same "Hell yes, were going to take your AR-15...!" Beto O'Rourke!