╌>

Temporary housing for migrants set up at Orchard Beach in the Bronx - CBS New York

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  76 comments

By:   Tim McNicholas (CBSNewYork)

Temporary housing for migrants set up at Orchard Beach in the Bronx - CBS New York
The city says adults will be able stay at the center for up to four days before moving to other housing.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Tim McNicholas

Updated on: September 26, 2022 / 11:37 PM / CBS New York

Emergency housing for migrants being built in the Bronx02:37

NEW YORK -- Construction crews are building temporary housing in the Bronx for migrants.

The emergency center is going up at Orchard Beach, and while some local residents are voicing concern, CBS2's Tim McNicholas says other people are looking at ways to help.

The Bronx borough president says it will take at least two weeks to finish construction. When it's open, it will be an intake center where single adult migrants can find food, medical care, case work help and temporary shelter.

Contractors worked for more than three hours Monday afternoon in the Orchard Beach parking lot.

NOW: Contractors are building a shelter & what the city calls a Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center at Orchard Beach in the Bronx to help manage the recent influx of asylum seekers in NYC. @CBSNewYorkpic.twitter.com/6oJ7MH9wEA
— Tim McNicholas (@TimMcNicholas) September 26, 2022

"We have the space. I don't see anything wrong with this," said David Diaz, a board member with the nonprofit City Island Rising.

The organization near Orchard Beach wants to help asylum seekers however possible.

"We're waiting on a list now from the mayor's office to see what exactly is needed. We'll do a clothing drive. We'll do a food drive," he said.

The city says adults will be able stay at the center for up to four days before moving to other housing.

RELATED STORY: NYC opening 2 emergency centers for arriving migrants

The plan is sparking debate among people living nearby.

"This is our social point in the winter. We come here, we get fresh air, and my concern is are we still going to have access to what we use all season?" one resident said.

"Our concerns are safety, security and health reasons," said Bill Stanton, president of the City Island Civic Association.

The association plans to meet Tuesday night with councilmember Marjorie Velazquez to ask several questions.

"Is New York doing the proper background screening, the vetting? Are they doing criminal background checks? And if they are, how so?" Stanton said.

"My first thought isn't about, 'Oh my god, have we checked them out?' My first thought is to say, what can we do?" Diaz said.

Some others have expressed concerns about the housing conditions for the migrants.

"There should be a more substantial housing for them. They shouldn't be forced to live in a tent," one person said.

Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson told CBS2 off-camera the Orchard Beach parking lot is not an ideal location due to flooding issues in the past. Nonetheless, she said she's working with the mayor's office to make sure migrants get the help they need and to ensure the center is sturdy enough to withstand wind and rain.

Gibson plans to visit the site herself Tuesday.

Tim McNicholastimmcnicholas.jpg

Tim McNicholas is a Morning Insider reporter for CBS2 Chicago.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Good!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Yeah, screw the legal US citizens who live in the neighborhood.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago
screw the legal US citizens who live in the neighborhood.

Illegals over citizens.  That's the democrat way. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.1    2 years ago
Illegals over citizens.  That's the democrat way. 

Why do right wingers have such an issue telling the difference between illegal immigrants and LEGAL asylum seekers?  Does the brown skin make it too confusing?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    2 years ago
Why do right wingers have such an issue telling the difference between illegal immigrants and LEGAL asylum seekers?  Does the brown skin make it too confusing?

Why do leftwingers make a bigger deal about what someone is called rather than be concerned with our border, which appears to be pretty easy to cross?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    2 years ago
Does the brown skin make it too confusing?

And there it is.  The sentence that ruined what minute credibility you had.  It's not about the actual problem at the border and the burden it puts on actual citizens.  You could give a fuck less about that.  It's a race issue with you (and many like you).  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago
Yeah, screw the legal US citizens who live in the neighborhood.

Absolutely.  When it hurts enough, they'll decide to elect people who will do something about it instead of pretending it isn't a problem.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.5    2 years ago

I'm starting to wonder how strong party affiliation is for democrats?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    2 years ago

I suppose we'll see.

Or we may see the return of sensible Democrats.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    2 years ago

rather than be concerned with our border, which appears to be pretty easy to cross?

Like it has been for the last 50 years, and will continue to be so no matter who is in charge?

Here's a better question, why are republicans only concerned about the southern border when it is a democratic administration?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.4    2 years ago
And there it is.  The sentence that ruined what minute credibility you had.  It's not about the actual problem at the border and the burden it puts on actual citizens.  You could give a fuck less about that.  It's a race issue with you (and many like you).

That is not a denial.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    2 years ago
Here's a better question, why are republicans only concerned about the southern border when it is a democratic administration?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif Were you asleep during that last Republican administration? It did one hell of a lot more to curb it than this one OR the Obama administration did. 

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
1.1.11  dennissmith  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.4    2 years ago

For some playing the race card is the best they can do.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  dennissmith @1.1.11    2 years ago

Usually an indication that they are completely clueless to what is actually being talked about. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.10    2 years ago

Were you asleep during that last Republican administration? It did one hell of a lot more to curb it than this one OR the Obama administration did. 

What did it do other than kidnap children away from their parents?  Did it stop illegal immigration?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.13    2 years ago
What did it do other than kidnap children away from their parents

Again, jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif That is total jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    2 years ago

Well, gee, that is monumentally wrong. Don't you remember all the Democrats whining about Trump wanting to build a wall? Have you looked at any of the numbers comparing the Trump and Biden Admins.?

Have you read any news lately about the record breaking numbers??????????????????????????????????????

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.15    2 years ago
Don't you remember all the Democrats whining about Trump wanting to build a wall?

Are you telling me that if you wanted to get past a 10 foot fence, you would personally be unable to do it?  If I were to point to a wall, of any size or shape, and bet you $10,000, that you would not be able to get passed it (with no conditions).  That you would fail to win the money?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.16    2 years ago

Damn, I hate it when people can't understand what they have read!

Does this seem to be happening often?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.18  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    2 years ago

More often I would say.  

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.19  squiggy  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    2 years ago
why are republicans only concerned about the southern border when it is a democratic administration?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.20  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    2 years ago

I see you are back to refusing to answer a simple question again.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.20    2 years ago

He asked you three one of which you "answered" with a question. Why would he answer yours when he has two pending?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.22  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.21    2 years ago

Glad someone is on the case…accountancy is such a huge responsibility. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.23  arkpdx  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.7    2 years ago
sensible Democrats

That is another oxymoron. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.24  Gazoo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.16    2 years ago

Are you telling me that if you wanted to get past a 10 foot fence, you would personally be unable to do it?

Are you telling me that you could just as easily walk through an area that’s been fenced off as an area with no fence? No, you sure as fuck can’t and that’s the whole point of a border wall. Nobody i know of said a wall will stop 100% of illegals crossing the border but it will damn sure slow it to a manageable number that will be much easier for our border patrol to handle. Good grief some posts are so fucking stupid it’s unbelievable.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.25  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.16    2 years ago
That you would fail to win the money?

What obscure point are you trying to make?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.26  Ozzwald  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.24    2 years ago
Are you telling me that you could just as easily walk through an area that’s been fenced off as an area with no fence?

moving-goalpost.gif

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.27  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.26    2 years ago

That isn't a fence they are carrying so what's the point of your post. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  arkpdx @1.1.27    2 years ago

They like to use that, errantly, as symbolism for moving the goal post but that is a goal. Not a goal post. This is a goal post.......

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.29  arkpdx  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.28    2 years ago

They also appear to be taking it to it's correct location. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.20    2 years ago
I see you are back to refusing to answer a simple question again.

I see you imagining what you wish other people had said so you could argue it.

Pathetically weak.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.31  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.21    2 years ago
He asked you three one of which you "answered" with a question. Why would he answer yours when he has two pending?

Typical nonsense.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Isn't that a place where local people take young children?

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.2.1  charger 383  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    2 years ago

that's what it used to be, now they are not important 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @1.2.1    2 years ago

That's right. Do you know why? 

Because a handful of professors have taught some weak minded students that America was built on "white supremacy."

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

It's odd that NYC will do this for illegals but not for the homeless US Citizens.  I guess we know where their loyalties lay.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    2 years ago

The border situation is in the news- as well as southern states shipping "migrants" to Democrat bastions of stupidity (aka sanctuary cities).

Media dictates that they address the migrant problem over the homeless problem. Homeless just don't draw that type of media coverage.

What I love is some leftists are still displaying their open racism.

"This is our social point in the winter. We come here, we get fresh air, and my concern is are we still going to have access to what we use all season?" one resident said.

"Our concerns are safety, security and health reasons," said Bill Stanton, president of the City Island Civic Association.

"Is New York doing the proper background screening, the vetting? Are they doing criminal background checks? And if they are, how so?" Stanton said.

Same concerns those living in southern border states are expressing that Democrats have called racist. The woke had better tap down their racist brethren. This isn't presenting a good image for the left.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 years ago
Democrat bastions of stupidity (aka sanctuary cities).

Weren't these centers if supidity crying that they couldn't handle all those they said were welcome about a week ago?  Now they are falling all over themselves to treat them better than US CItizens.  But, that does seem to be the policy of the left and Democrats.

This isn't presenting a good image for the left.

And it will be reflected in November.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 years ago
The plan is sparking debate among people living nearby.

Guess they could name this "community tent city" Nimbyville.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    2 years ago
It's odd that NYC will do this for illegals but not for the homeless US Citizens.

It's odd that you continuously claim that these LEGAL asylum seekers are illegal immigrants.  What is it about them that confuses you so much/

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    2 years ago

Asylum seekers need to wait outside the country until their request is accepted.

We had the right policy. Joe got rid of it!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    2 years ago

There's no confusion.  You haven't proven they are "asylum seekers".  Until then, I'll continue to call them what they are - illegal aliens.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    2 years ago
It's odd that you continuously claim that these LEGAL asylum seekers are illegal immigrants. What is it about them that confuses you so much

You do realize there are both types being sent, yes?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.3    2 years ago

“…both types…”

And therein lies the crux of the problem.

Due to the lack of a coherent immigration policy, it is impossible to define illegal vs. legal, asylum seeker vs. border crosser…

…and who suffers? The nameless, the homeless, the political pawns. 

This is our problem, not theirs.

Thanks be to the programs flying under the radar that are doing their best to provide basic services to care for the too many caught in the debris of our ineptitude. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    2 years ago

Y'all  need to quit putting lipstick on this pig.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.4    2 years ago
Due to the lack of a coherent immigration policy, it is impossible to define illegal vs. legal, asylum seeker vs. border crosser…

The coherent immigration policy was done away with by Biden when he took office.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.4    2 years ago
And therein lies the crux of the problem.

If you mean "lack of immigration policy", then yeah.  Or if you mean "general stupidity", then hell yeah.

It's actually very easy to define them.  One of them arrives at a legal port of entry like Laredo or Rio Grande City or Hidalgo and requests asylum.  The other gets arrested on the way to San Antonio or Dallas or points beyond.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.6    2 years ago
The coherent immigration policy was done away with by Biden when he took office.  

I'm sorry, but our immigration policy hasn't been coherent in decades.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    2 years ago
Asylum seekers need to wait outside the country until their request is accepted.

That's not what the law says.  I guess you do not respect domestic or international laws.  Huh?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.2    2 years ago
There's no confusion.  You haven't proven they are "asylum seekers".

If you'd take your fingers out of your ears you wouldn't make such silly claims.  It has been widely reported that all of them had been given court dates, and one of the complaints against DeSantis is that he ensured they would miss those court dates by making it impossible for them to return in time for that court date.

Until then, I'll continue to call them what they are - illegal aliens.

Of course you will, to do otherwise would undermine all your years of posting about them.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.3    2 years ago
You do realize there are both types being sent, yes?

Not on DeSantis's plane.  ALL were asylum seekers with court dates.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.5    2 years ago
Y'all  need to quit putting lipstick on this pig.

bf11542ec1d37c94_Screen_Shot_2017-03-29_at_10.35.34_AM.png

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.11    2 years ago
Not on DeSantis's plane.  ALL were asylum seekers with court dates

Prove it then. You said that it has been widely reported. So should be easy...............

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.14  Jack_TX  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.11    2 years ago
Not on DeSantis's plane. 

Those people went to Massachusetts.

These are people Abbott sent to NY on a bus.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.10    2 years ago
one of the complaints against DeSantis is that he ensured they would miss those court dates by making it impossible for them to return in time for that court date.

Not so fast............

" Immigration officials transported Willian and at least eight other migrants to El Paso’s immigration court, where judges gave them all permission to stay in the U.S. They can continue their asylum cases in courts closest to wherever they settle."

You were saying?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.16  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.10    2 years ago
"If you'd take your fingers out of your ears you wouldn't make such silly claims.  It has been widely reported that all of them had been given court dates, and one of the complaints against DeSantis is that he ensured they would miss those court dates by making it impossible for them to return in time for that court date."

Nonsense! Those court dates are far into the future, and  most of them don't show up anyway.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.10    2 years ago
You haven't proven they are "asylum seekers".

I guess you missed where you didn't provide a goddamn thing that they were asylum seekers.  Time to put up or shut up.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.13    2 years ago
Prove it then. You said that it has been widely reported. So should be easy...........

It should be, but since you refuse to read anything outside the right wing blog-sphere, i guess you're out of luck.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.18    2 years ago

Post it and I will read it................that you state what you just did shows you are either not telling the truth or you can't find it and know it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.20  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.19    2 years ago
Post it and I will read it

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

History shows otherwise.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.21  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.20    2 years ago

No it doesn't. Sorry.

Yours maybe but not mine.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.2.22  arkpdx  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.5    2 years ago

That is the best looking thing they have wearing lipstick

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Something tells me that once the migrants get a taste of the Bronx, they'll be running back to Venezuela.

As recently as Saturday, there was the usual mayhem:

"Two men were killed in separate incidents Saturday afternoon, one in Brooklyn and the other in the Bronx.

A 22-year-old man was stabbed to death in a fight outside a Canarsie deli.

Police said they were called to East 87th Street and Avenue L at 2:38 p.m. for an assault and found the victim with multiple stab wounds.

He was taken to Brookdale University Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

His identity was not immediately released pending notification of his family."

Oh, I know, maybe they can hire cops to protect the migrants.

It's a tough call...who's more important...the oppressed migrants or the oppressed criminals?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago
Oh, I know, maybe they can hire cops to protect the migrants.

I don't think they have the budget.  Remember NYC was one of the Democrat run cities that cut their budget supporting the "defund the police" jackasses.

Maybe some of these idiot Social Justice Warriors or Open Border dipshits can step up and provide unarmed protection.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1    2 years ago
Maybe some of these idiot Social Justice Warriors or Open Border dipshits can step up and provide unarmed protection.

For the public, as opposed to themselves.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago

“Something tells me that once the migrants get a taste of the Bronx, they'll be running back to Venezuela.”

What does that tell you about why these human beings flee everything they know; their families, their homes, their culture.

It is because despite the anecdotal episodes any detractor may site, this is still a better option for them to attempt to build a better life.

The definition of the American Dream in the making, despite those that conveniently forget their own ancestry. 

You got yours, right vic? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @3.2    2 years ago

That's not the standard for gaining asylum.

There are 3 ways of obtaining asylum in the United States:

• The affirmative process;
  • An Asylum Merits Interview after a positive credible fear determination; or
  • The defensive process.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.2.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.1    2 years ago

“There are 3 ways of obtaining asylum in the United States:

• The affirmative process;
  • An Asylum Merits Interview after a positive credible fear determination; or
  • The defensive process.”

And just how have we enabled these processes to occur:

…in a timely manner? 

…in providing accommodation until the timely adjudication?

…in enabling families to remain together?

A multi-faceted problem to be sure but too often met with ignorance in singular political posturing. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    2 years ago

Those so called "asylum seekers". should not be put ahead of real US Citizens in any way at any time 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  charger 383 @4    2 years ago

Revillug
Freshman Participates
6  Revillug    2 years ago

C7TY7PQSSZAJ5GX2NJCTIDPZYU.jpg

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.1  squiggy  replied to  Revillug @6    2 years ago

You'll just have to subsidize them.

squiggy
Junior Silent
7  squiggy    2 years ago

""Our concerns are safety, security and health reasons," said Bill Stanton, president of the City Island Civic Association."

"Alex, I'll take Covert Racism for $500."

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
"Alex, I'll take Covert Racism for $500."

Racists in the very Blue Bronx, who knew?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

So much for sanctuary:

Critics of Mayor Adams’ plan to house asylum seekers in refugee-style tents slammed it as “illegal” and “inhumane” Friday as questions continued to loom over how exactly — and whether — his administration intends to comply with the state’s right to shelter law. “This pitch was sold as a state-of-the-art facility with food, beds and a warm New York City welcome,” Councilwoman Shahana Hanif (D-Brooklyn), chairwoman of the Council’s Immigration Committee, said during a rally outside City Hall. “But there is nothing state of the art about a refugee camp built outdoors in a flood zone in October.”