╌>

Explosions rock central Kyiv in apparent missile strikes | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  57 comments

By:   AP NEWS

Explosions rock central Kyiv in apparent missile strikes | AP News
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Two explosions rocked Kyiv early Monday following months of relative calm in the Ukrainian capital. Kyiv Mayor Vitalii Klitchko reported explosions in the city's Shevchenko district, a large area in the center of Kyiv that includes the historic old town as well as several government offices.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

October 10, 2022 GMT1 of 2 Volunteers work to clean the debris on a site where several houses were destroyed after a Russian attack at a residential area in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022. (AP Photo/Leo Correa) 1 of 2 Volunteers work to clean the debris on a site where several houses were destroyed after a Russian attack at a residential area in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Two explosions rocked Kyiv early Monday following months of relative calm in the Ukrainian capital.

Kyiv Mayor Vitalii Klitchko reported explosions in the city's Shevchenko district, a large area in the center of Kyiv that includes the historic old town as well as several government offices.

Lesia Vasylenko, a member of Ukraine's parliament, posted a photo on Twitter showing that at least one explosion occurred near the main building of the Kyiv National University in central Kyiv.

The spokesperson for Emergency Service in Kyiv told the AP that there are killed and wounded people. Rescuers are now working in different locations, said Svitlana Vodolaga.

The number of casualties is not yet known.

The explosions were heard by AP journalists and appeared to be the result of missile strikes. Also on Monday morning, Associated Press journalists reported hearing explosions in the center of Dnipro city.

Recent fighting has focused on the regions just north of Crimea, including Zaporizhzhia, where six missiles were launched overnight Saturday from Russian-occupied areas of the Zaporizhzhia region.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday called the attack that damaged the huge bridge connecting Russia to its annexed territory of Crimea "a terrorist act" masterminded by Ukrainian special services.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  Kavika     2 years ago

Fricking Russians are scum. I wish that the US would supply Ukraine with the weapons as we did Israel in operation ''Nickel Grass''.....That would be the end of Russia in Ukraine in short order.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Kavika @1    2 years ago
Fricking Russians are scum.

To be more precise, Putin loving Russians are scum, but there are millions of other Russian people who do not support Putin and pray for an end to his evil murderous authoritarian rule and are good peace loving people. Those are the Russians, the ones fleeing and/or protesting the invasion and the sham elections held in both Russia and now regions in Ukraine, that we need to show support for along with Ukraine because they are both getting murdered by Putin and his vile regime.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

Yes, there are those that oppose Putin and are fleeing the country. The thing is that Russia had the opportunity to become a member of the world when the Iron Curtain fell, but sadly they blew the golden opportunity and I doubt that they will get that change again.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

Putin calling Ukraine terrorists. Hypocrite, they name is Putin. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    2 years ago

One thing I learned from this, if Russia didn't have nuclear weapons, we could wipe them out in seconds.

George
Junior Expert
3.1  George  replied to  Ender @3    2 years ago

The taliban are laughing at this comment. And Hitler thinks it’s equally ridiculous.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  George @3.1    2 years ago

Buzz off.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Ender @3.1.1    2 years ago

Ukraine with a smaller army, fewer weapons and certainly less long-range weapons, a tiny air force, and no navy is kicking the shit out of the Russians your analysis is right on target.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.3  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    2 years ago

The taliban have joined in laughing at you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.3    2 years ago

Making these comments George leads to the question do you support the Taliban?

And how about Hitler is he laughing at me as well? Oh, that's right he's dead.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3.1.4    2 years ago

Obviously someone doesn't support our own military. Thinks we are laughable.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.6  evilone  replied to  George @3.1    2 years ago
The taliban are laughing at this comment.

Perhaps you should not compare apples and cinderblocks. Everyone is laughing at Putin right now.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @3.1    2 years ago
The taliban are laughing at this comment. And Hitler thinks it’s equally ridiculous.

Can you please extrapolate on that comment?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.7    2 years ago

Think Afghanistan...........who didn't and doesn't have nukes. And look how we just pounded the hell out of them in short time........oh wait.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @3.1.4    2 years ago

No, he is pointing out the obvious. Something that Putin and it seems everyone else is missing.

The Russians are not fighting for what they believe is their homeland.

Ask Napoleon about Russia's ability to defend their homeland. Ask Hitler as well. Both of them thought they could roll to an easy victory over weaker Russian forces.

How did we fair against North Korea (stalemate); Vietnam (loss); Afghanistan (Vietnam part II); or even Iraq (Iran loves our stupidity over that one. We did what they could never do and removed Saddam Hussein.) We had a vastly superior military to all of them.

But history is full of idiots that love to repeat it. Even if we manage to succeed and invade Russia without starting a nuclear war; how many years are you planning on holding it with a population that is completely hostile to our being there? How will our troops like Russian winters?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.8    2 years ago

Why don't you let him speak for himself?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.10    2 years ago

He doesn't appear to need your assistance.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.12  George  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.7    2 years ago

We tried to control Afghanistan, how long after Biden put his tail between his legs did it take before they we’re running the country? And Hitler had a far superior technology and experienced troops and he got crushed by the Russians. Only a fool would think it would take seconds to defeat Russia.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.13  George  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.9    2 years ago

It amazing, Russia invaded Ukraine because they felt threatened and thought Ukraine was a fundamental threat to their safety. (Russia’s version)

How is that fundamentally different than Bush invading Iraq or Afghanistan? Or Obama trying to overthrow Syria and overthrowing Libya?

The only difference I see is Putin’s claiming the land he takes.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.9    2 years ago
No, he is pointing out the obvious. Something that Putin and it seems everyone else is missing.

Thank goodness you and George see what the rest of the world is missing. Kudo's on your ability to make assumptions. 

Ask Napoleon about Russia's ability to defend their homeland. Ask Hitler as well. Both of them thought they could roll to an easy victory over weaker Russian forces.

Both are dead but perhaps you with your Karnac ability could hold a seance for us. History is replete with the defeats of both Hilter and Napoleon which all of us have read.

How did we fair against North Korea (stalemate); Vietnam (loss); Afghanistan (Vietnam part II); or even Iraq (Iran loves our stupidity over that one. We did what they could never do and removed Saddam Hussein.) We had a vastly superior military to all of them.

I'll bow to your military experience and expertise. Oh, wait you were never in the military much less in combat. Yes, we did have a vastly superior military to them which we did not use to its full extent. If we engaged in combat with the Russians I'm sure that we would use everything at our disposal. 

But history is full of idiots that love to repeat it. Even if we manage to succeed and invade Russia without starting a nuclear war; how many years are you planning on holding it with a population that is completely hostile to our being there? How will our troops like Russian winters?

I don't believe I said anything about attacking Russia in their homeland and trying to occupy the country. So again you making assumptions is not a good thing because you know what they say about assumptions.

You are aware that we have specially trained troops for cold-weather combat, don't you? Well, probably not since you may have been absent for that part of your pseudo-military training. Rest assured that we do and have had for decades. Additionally, our military will have the latest in cold-weather gear since historically we have been the best-equipped military in the world.

Once again thank you for pontificating about something that you seem to know little about.

One more little detail, Ukraine is kicking Russia's ass in case your jaundice view doesn't allow reality to seep in.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  George @3.1.12    2 years ago
And Hitler had a far superior technology and experienced troops and he got crushed by the Russians. Only a fool would think it would take seconds to defeat Russia.

America could establish air superiority over Ukraine in one day. Then it is a killing field. The US military unleashed , minus nuclear weapons, would undoubtedly destroy the Russian military in a relatively short period of time. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.16  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    2 years ago

[Deleted] Difference is Ukraine has help and is hopefully going to keep theirs, the Native Americans, unfortunately for them weren’t able to.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.16    2 years ago

I don't know what my being a Native America has to do with any of this except for the fact that we are still an intricate part of America and serve at a higher rate in the military than any other ethnic group. 

I guess that was the best you had, but actually better than the ''fuck off'' that you so unintellectually threw at me in a prior conversation. Good to know you went from profanity to bringing race into the conversation.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.18  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.15    2 years ago

Try to keep up John, they are talking about attacking Russia, and you have no idea how Russian anti aircraft defenses work, 1 Air EMP anywhere near our aircraft and they are flying bricks, we know this and so do the Russians.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  Jack_TX  replied to  George @3.1.13    2 years ago
It amazing, Russia invaded Ukraine because they felt threatened and thought Ukraine was a fundamental threat to their safety. (Russia’s version)

Exactly 

The gargantuan supply of rare earth metals in Ukraine was just a happy accident.  

George
Junior Expert
3.1.20  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.17    2 years ago

[Deleted] But you did manage to completely avoid my point, because I’m sure you didn’t miss it.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.21  George  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.19    2 years ago

of course, they should have just said Ukraine had weapons of mass destruction……or is that played out for invading countries?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.22  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.15    2 years ago
The US military unleashed , minus nuclear weapons, would undoubtedly destroy the Russian military in a relatively short period of time. 

It's not the Russian military that gets you, as both Napolean and Hitler learned the hard way.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.23  Jack_TX  replied to  George @3.1.21    2 years ago
of course, they should have just said Ukraine had weapons of mass destruction……or is that played out for invading countries?

It would not have been any less believable than what they're currently doing.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.24  George  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.22    2 years ago

It’s amazing reading how the left have become such warmongers.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.22    2 years ago

I dont think the US will be trying to win a ground war in Russia. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.26  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.25    2 years ago

John, this was the original statement.

if Russia didn't have nuclear weapons, we could wipe them out in seconds.

that would require nukes or occupation. Do you support this statement?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.27  Jack_TX  replied to  George @3.1.24    2 years ago
It’s amazing reading how the left have become such warmongers.

Nah.  It's simply a "bleeding heart hierarchy" thing. 

Historically, they demand action on behalf of the group they most pity in the moment.  That's why they care more about a 6'3" transgender swimmer than they do about the women he unfairly defeats.  They feel great pity for transgender people, and generally don't give a shit about athletes, so trans "rights" supercede.

In this case, they feel more pity for Ukrainian mothers over losing their sons than they do for American mothers losing theirs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.28  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.20    2 years ago

Sigh, I didn't realize that you had a point. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.29  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.25    2 years ago
I dont think the US will be trying to win a ground war in Russia.

It will undoubtedly become one.  They all do.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.30  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.28    2 years ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.31  JohnRussell  replied to  George @3.1.26    2 years ago

I do not support nuking anyone as a first strike. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.32  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.31    2 years ago

Way to avoid the question John.

do you support this statement?

if Russia didn't have nuclear weapons, we could wipe them out in seconds.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.33  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.30    2 years ago

I'm sure that you could stoop to another level.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.34  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.27    2 years ago
In this case, they feel more pity for Ukrainian mothers over losing their sons than they do for American mothers losing theirs.

Really Jack, do you have proof of that, or is it simply your opinion?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.35  JohnRussell  replied to  George @3.1.32    2 years ago

If Russia didnt have nukes and we did, and we launched a nuclear attack on Russia, yes we would wipe them out. Dont know the exact time frame. Do you have a point with all this? 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.36  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.35    2 years ago

Remember this exchange John the next time you demand a poster answer your question, and they deflect around it, and you then complain that they refuse to answer. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.37  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.33    2 years ago

[deleted]

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
3.1.38  Raven Wing  replied to  George @3.1.36    2 years ago

Well...he obviously learned it from you, an expert at it. So you should praise him, not chide him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.39  JohnRussell  replied to  George @3.1.36    2 years ago

I dont complain when people refuse to answer. I complain when they answer with the usual far right horseshit. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.40  George  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.38    2 years ago

At least I’m original

George
Junior Expert
3.1.41  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.39    2 years ago

How is that different than the far left horseshit? 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
3.1.42  Raven Wing  replied to  George @3.1.40    2 years ago
At least I’m original

Hardly [original.....deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.43  devangelical  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.42    2 years ago

LOL

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.44  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.42    2 years ago

ddabebf441010f502913463a623b45ec.jpg

43576765631_0ae45a1269.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.45  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.18    2 years ago

It's strange that they don't use Air EMP against the Ukraine air force which is still flying missions against the Russians and for such a big bad military they don't have air superiority much less air dominance. 

The US has the same EMP as the Russians and I would think that many of our attack planes have a faraday cage as well. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.46  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.45    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.47  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.46    2 years ago
You have already proven you can’t grasp even the simple points I give you, why embarrass yourself asking technical questions?

The only thing proven is that you spout a lot of assumptions and try to pass them off as facts. As for the technical question re the fly by wire is that you seem to consider yourself a tech expert, you should be able to answer that along with why the Russians don't have air superiority and how EMP would affect US fighters with a faraday cage. 

And you never did respond to my original question to you.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.48  George  replied to  Kavika @3.1.47    2 years ago

I didn’t respond because I thought it was a joke. Are you serious about a faraday cage in a fighter jet? 
It would make it impossible for a radio, radar, and any control wires to leave the cage, without making it completely worthless. You do know how a faraday cage works right? That may be the silliest thing I’ve read here. Again, you should probably stop now.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
3.1.49  Raven Wing  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.44    2 years ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.50  Kavika   replied to  George @3.1.48    2 years ago
I didn’t respond because I thought it was a joke

It wasn't a joke so do you want to answer now?

That may be the silliest thing I’ve read here. Again, you should probably stop now.

No, I don't think that I'll stop since you're the one that is stumbling around. 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
3.1.51  Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.42    2 years ago

Thank you.