╌>

Republican wants teacher to undergo 'Patriotic education"

Category:  News & Politics

By:  ender  •  2 years ago  •  23 comments

Republican wants teacher to undergo 'Patriotic education"

Seems their claims of indoctrination are from themselves....

Ryan Walters, the Republican candidate for state superintendent in Oklahoma, is vowing to force all teachers in the state to undergo what is being described as "patriotic education" at a right-wing college in Michigan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/oklahoma-gop-candidate-vows-to-make-teachers-undergo-patriotic-education-based-on-judeo-christian-values/ar-AA13mimZ?cvid=d982f1e183bc43a8a31eb749b4bc18fa

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

Didn't the Viet Cong try something like that and called then Re-Education Camps?

I could go back another 80 years about indoctrination tactics like mentioning the Hitler Youth but I don't want to bring Hitler or Nazism into this discussion

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    2 years ago
I could go back another 80 years about indoctrination tactics like mentioning the Hitler Youth but I don't want to bring Hitler or Nazism into this discussion

the parallels are unmistakable and consistent ...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    2 years ago
Didn't the Viet Cong try something like that and called then Re-Education Camps?

Viet Cong?  Seriously?

I'm not saying this is a good idea, but let's not get carried away.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2    2 years ago

Ok...you tell me who ran the re-education camps in Vietnam after the North Vietnamese won the war?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2    2 years ago

While I don’t think there will be torture and death, if it becomes law, there would have to be some penalty for non-compliance. At minimum, otherwise qualified teachers would be banned from teaching at public schools, yes? They’d lose their jobs?

And then even if they go through the training, they might still teach certain heresies, like Founders owned slaves, America actually does start wars, Natives got repeatedly screwed when the US failed to honor treaties, etc. and so forth. Then what? Fines? Jail time?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    2 years ago
Ok...you tell me who ran the re-education camps in Vietnam after the North Vietnamese won the war?

Re-education camps.....   Riiiiiight.

You are unironically comparing teacher certification programs with "re-education camps".  Riiiight.

Because that's not completely batshit or anything.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.3    2 years ago

What does it sound like to you?

Call me batshit all you want but it won't hurt my feelings

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.2    2 years ago
While I don’t think there will be torture and death, if it becomes law, there would have to be some penalty for non-compliance. At minimum, otherwise qualified teachers would be banned from teaching at public schools, yes? They’d lose their jobs?

Ostensibly.  Assuming it passes.  And assuming there aren't a million waivers because they already can't find enough teachers.

As I said, I'm certainly not endorsing the idea.  I just think comparing it to forced re-education is melodramatic.

But as a former teacher, there is a copious amount of very stupid extraneous "training" you have to endure every year anyway, so I'm not sure this would be distinguishable from the rest.

And then even if they go through the training, they might still teach certain heresies, like Founders owned slaves, America actually does start wars, Natives got repeatedly screwed when the US failed to honor treaties, etc. and so forth. Then what? Fines? Jail time?

Speaking of melodramatic.... 

I dunno.... do we have jail time for that kind of thing in any other job?   Let's do remember that the constitution is a real thing.

I guess NFL players get fined for violating employer policies, but nobody seems to mind.

Maybe if they get harrassed enough some of these teachers will do what they should have done years ago.... move to Dallas for double the pay.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.5    2 years ago
What does it sound like to you?

It sounds like yet another Oklahoma RWNJ having yet another bad idea that probably won't happen and even if it does will be little more than a mild inconvenience.

Call me batshit all you want but it won't hurt my feelings

I didn't call you batshit.  I called your overreaction batshit.  Because it's ridiculous.   

Your feelings are under your control and therefore are exclusively your concern. 

That said, there isn't any way you actually think that this is anywhere close to Viet Cong re-education camps. It's utter nonsense and you know it. Your attempted defense of it indicates your feelings may be more involved than you want to admit.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

These sorts of attempts to force "patriotism" are nothing but a last ditch effort to stop multiculturalism. 

There are people, mostly on the right , who fetishize the "founding".  Why? Because it represents a country founded by and populated by the "right" kind of people. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
who fetishize the "founding"

Exactly, just look at all the history books written about the "founding" and it's participants and ideas.  Jon Meacham certainly fetishizes the founding.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    2 years ago

Oh I think its possible to discuss and write about the founding without fetishizing it, but that is not what MAGA does.  This wingnut candidate from Oklahoma wants all teachers to be brainwashed by Hillsdale College. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 years ago

At the risk of fetishizing history, Hillsdale has an interesting one:

• Founded by abolitionists
  • Liberal Arts school
  • Admitted Blacks immediately after it "founding in 1844
  • College president help to establish the Repub Party
  • High percentage of students volunteered to fight in the Civil War than any other Michigan college
  • Frederick Douglas twice visited the school 
  • Does accept federal or state grants or subsidies
  • Prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, or sex, and was the first college to add it to it's charter
  • Football team refused to play in the 1956 Tangerine Bowl in Florida when the governing committee of the bowl would not allow the team's black players to play
  • Ranked 46th in the 2022 U.S. News & World Report listing of best National Liberal Arts Colleges
  • Princeton Review's The Best 384 Colleges  ranked Hillsdale as first for "most engaged in community service," seventh for "students love these colleges," eighth for "professors get high marks," and thirteenth for "students study the most
  • Ranked 33rd overall in College Raptor's 2023 top 50 colleges, including 5th in the Great Lakes Region 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    2 years ago

interesting. what year did the admin and faculty become dominated by thumper fucktards?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    2 years ago

I don't know anyone on the faculty.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    2 years ago

Clearly a bunch of racist bastards trying to "stop multiculturalism".  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.4    2 years ago

You're on the right track. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.3    2 years ago

... yeah, that was my question...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.1.6    2 years ago

Again, I'm not familiar with the faculty.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5  MrFrost    2 years ago

You cannot force patriotism. 

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  MrFrost @5    2 years ago

Sure you can. Just ask the Uyghurs.