╌>

Dolphin shot with arrow in Gulf of Mexico as violent killings rise

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  15 comments

A dolphin killed with a hunting arrow in Orange Beach, Alabama is shown in this National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) photo released on December 8, 2014.

TAMPA, Fla. (Reuters) - A dolphin was lethally shot by a hunting arrow in the northern Gulf of Mexico, the second violent killing of the protected animal in recent weeks, federal authorities said on Monday.

The dolphin, with a yellow-feathered arrow embedded in its side, washed ashore on Orange Beach, Alabama, over the weekend, according to a news release from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), whose law enforcement officers are investigating.

Preliminary results from a necropsy indicate that the dolphin may have survived with the arrow for at least five days before dying of an infection caused by the wound, NOAA said.

The agency also is investigating the death of a pregnant bottlenose dolphin found on Miramar Beach, Florida, last month after being shot in the lung.

The dolphin was within weeks of giving birth, according to a news release in that death.

Authorities are seeking additional information in both cases. Harming, harassing or feeding a wild dolphin is prohibited under the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972.

NOAA officials said they have seen a rise in violent killings of dolphins in the northern Gulf of Mexico, with at least 17 dolphins stranded, or beached in shallow water, with gunshot wounds since 2002. The majority of these deaths have occurred in the past four years.

People can help to protect dolphins by refraining from feeding them, which encourages them to approach dangerous situations, NOAA said, noting they will remove bait and catch directly from fishing gear. This can result in violent retaliation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

The agency also is investigating the death of a pregnant bottlenose dolphin found on Miramar Beach, Florida, last month after being shot in the lung. This is horrendous!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Sick SOB's...If they catch them, I'm for shooting them with an arrow.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I truly hope they get caught..this is barbaric!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

There is just no end to the depravity of human beings. This makes me sick!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Me too Dowser! I hope whoever did this is proud of themselves...shooting an innocent Dolphin. /s

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Disagree w/ you on this one, K. I'd recommend... trolling for sharks.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Grin.gif Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Dolphins are wonderful and intelligent creatures. I can't imagine why people would want to kill them..

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thank you for these amazing stories !!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I have swam with Dolphins in the Caribbean, and it is an experience I will never forget. I can't express the feeling it was to get to touch them and ride around on the ocean on them.

Simply amazing!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Now f I could have just had them herd my ex-mother-in-law away...Smile.gif

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    10 years ago
Want to find the culprit? Look for the man with the tiniest penis.

Nona62
Professor Silent

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif Good one!!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

I was salmon fishing just off Powell River, BC, in the Strait of Georgia, and the seals were taking salmon off the hooks before the fishermen could get them aboard their boats. I thought it was kinda cool. A seal got my salmon a couple times. They would sit in the water with their heads out and wait for you to hook a salmon and then they would go under and take the salmon off the hook so smoothly - you couldn't even feel a tug on the line.

Suddenly, a shot rang out from somewhere and a seal's head exploded 50 or so yards from our boat. The seals were only steeling a salmon now and then. I was disgusted. We saw which boat had a person with a rifle and reported them via radio. The Canadian Coast Guard arrived a short while later and we pointed out which boat was doing the shooting. They got caught and we were the witnesses. Damn, that felt good.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Good for you! People like that have no respect for life.....ggrrr