╌>

Kyrsten Sinema switches from Democrat to independent: Here's what it means for the Senate

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  37 comments

By:   YahooNews

Kyrsten Sinema switches from Democrat to independent: Here's what it means for the Senate
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who has voted with both parties, will keep her committee assignments, but wouldn't say if she will caucus with Democrats.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON-Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema threw some cold water on Senate Democrats' celebration of a new 51-49 majority, leaving the party Friday and registering as an independent.

On one hand, it seems as though not much will change. She told Politico she will not caucus with Republicans and told CNN she will keep her committee assignments.

"Becoming an independent won't change my work in the Senate," she told in the Arizona Republic, part of the USA TODAY network.

Sinema would not say on CNN whether she would join the ranks of independent Sens. Angus King of Maine and Bernie Sanders of Vermont who caucus with Democrats.

But in keeping her committee assignments, she indicated her party switch to independent won't change the balance of power much - other than giving more political power to herself and swing Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia.

On the other hand, it shakes up Washington and weakens Senate Democrats' newly acquired outright majority.

Sinema explains: 'I promised Arizonans something different': Sinema on registering as an independent

What Sinema's decision means

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., flanked by Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., left, and Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, speaks to reporters following Senate passage of the Respect for Marriage Act, at the Capitol in Washington, Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2022.

Sinema acted independently as a Democrat, and her party switch makes formal what has been a feature of her time in the Senate since 2019.

For example, she has voted with Republicans on taxes and with Democrats on LGBTQ rights, gun control, infrastructure, Trump impeachments, efforts to mitigate COVID and inflation and more.

A day before announcing she had switched her party affiliation to independent, she cheered the passage of her bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act in the House and advancement to President Joe Biden's desk.

"We're one step closer to our bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act securing into law marriage and religious protections for all Americans," she said in a statement Thursday. "I look forward to seeing it signed into law by the President to bring certainty and peace of mind to countless loving marriages."

Her statement also noted how, in 2006 as a state representative, Sinema led the effort to defeat Proposition 107, which would have banned same-sex marriages in Arizona.

Story continues

Sinema's switch to independent comes decades after she started in politics with the Arizona Green Party and has voted as a progressive through much of her career.

The 2024 election question

Before switching her party affiliation to independent, she faced a potential primary challenge from Rep. Ruben Gallego, an Arizona Democrat who told MSNBC last month that Sinema "did nothing" to help Democratic candidates in midterm elections.

Earlier in the cycle, he was fundraising off the possibility of running against her, according to the Arizona Republic.

Sinema's critics called the Friday announcement a sign she will not seek re-election.

The "Primary Sinema" political action committee issued a scathing statement:

"Today, Kyrsten Sinema told us what we've already known for years: she's not a Democrat, and she's simply out for herself. For the last year, we've been laying the groundwork to defeat Kyrsten Sinema because Arizonans deserve a Senator who cares about them, and not special interests. In one way, Sinema just made our jobs easier by bowing out of a Democratic primary she knew she couldn't win. Now, we'll beat her in the general election with a real Democrat."

Sinema has drawn ire from some Democrats during Biden's term when her centrist positions have held up or blocked his agenda, including her unwillingness to end the filibuster.

She wouldn't tell CNN or Politico whether she's running for reelection.

What does it mean for Senate majority?

Sinema's switch marks the first time a U.S. senator has switched parties since April 2009 when late Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania switched from Republican to Democrat, claiming the GOP had moved too far to the right. Specter lost in the 2010 Democratic primary.

The move comes days after an exuberant Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said his Democratic Party's new 51-49 majority in the Senate would make it "a lot quicker, swifter and easier" to get things done in the upper chamber.

A confident Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., said on CNN Friday morning it doesn't take away the victory Democrats have in the Senate majority.

"She's going to continue to work with us," Klobuchar said. "I don't think it's going to greatly change the way the Senate is working right now."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Oh well!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Smart move. Be your own person party be damned. Kudos

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    2 years ago

I think she just became the key Senator.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Then there is this possibility!.....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 years ago

"By opting out of the party, Sinema can sidestep that and force Democrats to decide whether they want to endorse her to prevent a general-election split, or fight her in November 2024 and hand the seat to the GOP"

Yes, that is why Sinema had to do what she did.

"Manchin faces the crisis of being in a state at the other end of the spectrum."

Right again!  Manchin really has a different decision: Either become a Republican or this will be his last term in the Senate.

Very good article, Sir.

George
Junior Expert
2  George    2 years ago

So technically there are 48 democrats, 49 republicans and 3 independents, tell us how democrats have a mandate?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @2    2 years ago

It's going to be an interesting few years.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

Wondering what the over/under will be in money spent by the DNC against her in 24?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    2 years ago

It's going to be a tough Senate map for democrats in 2024, especially if Trump is in exile.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

Let's hear your predictions. Your accuracy is always stellar. (smile).

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Hallux  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.3    2 years ago

Is another bigly red wave coming? My rubber duck loves those quirky quacking qualms.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.3    2 years ago
Let's hear your predictions.

Oh such interest in little old Vic!

Just for you:

Sam Bankman-Fried will not be held accountable for the fraud he perpetrated.

Paul Whelan will not be released while Biden is president.

The person who called white Cubans "hateful" will not face any repercussions.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1.4    2 years ago
Is another bigly red wave coming?

I was also wrong about Trump losing in 2016 and Trump winning in 2020. Yup, even I can be wrong.

My rubber duck loves those quirky quacking qualms.

I though you and your little ducky had left weeks ago over as you called it "the final straw."

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.7  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    2 years ago
Wondering what the over/under will be in money spent by the DNC against her in 24?

I need to moderate my question.  If Sinema does caucus with the Democrats, what will the DNC do in 24.  Will they run a high-quality (?) candidate against her, pumping money into the election and risk splitting the Democrat votes thus giving the Senate seat to the Republicans or do they run a low-quality extremist candidate to lose to Sinema while pumping money into her campaign to protect their seat in the Senate?  

I think Arizona just got more interesting...  

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  evilone  replied to  George @2    2 years ago
...tell us how democrats have a mandate?

I've not heard of anyone saying the Dems have a mandate, but it most certainly has to be bigger than the red wave.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @2.2    2 years ago

In the House races, Repub candidates received 50.6% and Dem's 47.8% or 222 of the 435 House seats to the 213, or 51% to 49%.  A vote margin of 2.8 percentage points became a seat margin of 2.1 percentage points.  No mandate for either side.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

In a few hours no one will care about this. Her leaving is meaningless. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

urs no one will care about this. Her leaving is meaningless. 

That is, of course, how the loyal media will play it.  Note it and ignore it. 

If a Republican was chased out of the party for not unthinkingly  complying with the far right's wishes at all times, it would be the story of the week, with hundreds of think pieces about how the extremists have captured the party and there is no room for any independence in the party.  There'd be so much speculating on how it means the end of the Republican party, the end of the republic etc etc..

But she's a democrat harassed by other democrats, so it's not the type of news the MSM cares about. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    2 years ago
so it's not the type of news the MSM cares about.

Like it or not, FOX is a card carrying member of the 'MSM' and they are all over it as is MSNBC ... the coyotes on all sides are howling.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

sounds like sour grapes because Democrats thought she and Manchin wouldn't hold as much power.

tough break, Democrats

lol

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
"In a few hours no one will care about this. Her leaving is meaningless."

That's the dumbest comment of the week. Consider this scenario(s)..

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

It certainly is not to the people of Arizona, but you wouldn't know about that would you?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

She was run out of the party (and followed into the bathroom)  for not blindly following the party. 

She disagrees with her party as much as the average Republican Senator.  Democrats do not think for themselves. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago
Democrats do not think for themselves.

Unlike MAGA. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 years ago
nlike MAGA.

Why do facts bother you so much? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    2 years ago

Here's a ranking by pro-publica of how often Sentors vote against their party. 

Joe Manchin votes with Democrats 92% of the time. With Sinema gone, every other Democrat is above 97.5%.  By contrast the most consistent Republican, James Inhofe, only votes with the party 96% of the time. Susan Collins is the most independent member of the Senate. She  split her vote pretty much down the middle. 

I guess that explains Fetterman. A well trained dog can press the button he's told to, and that's really all democratic Senators are. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.2    2 years ago

Thanks for the link.

Leftists like to claim that Republicans vote completely along party lines. But it is Republicans that vote against their own party far more often.

Democrats are the barking seals of the political world. Give them a fish and they will blown the needed horn however the party demands.

Lisa Murkowski votes against the party 43.1% of the time? This is who Mitch McConnell so desperately wanted to win reelection? Great Mitch, just great.

George
Junior Expert
4.1.4  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.2    2 years ago
I guess that explains Fetterman. A well trained dog can press the button he's told to,

And he won't pee on the carpet, something i'm not sure Fetterman can accomplish.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    2 years ago

It's not the facts so much as having to admit they were wrong. Some people just can't bring themselves do that.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago
Democrats do not think for themselves. 

It's the hive mentality.  Honestly I don't think many democrats (or their followers) CAN think for themselves.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.2    2 years ago
It's the hive mentality.

All political parties rely upon it and none are immune from exploiting it. Your comment is no better than some 4 legs 2 legs missive uttered by Leon 'Snowball' Trotsky. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.2  evilone  replied to  Hallux @4.2.1    2 years ago

Your humor is lost on the conservatives. Many of them think Trotsky is what happens after they eat too much chili.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Hallux  replied to  evilone @4.2.2    2 years ago

I tend to only quote from books they claim to have read and understood ... it's all so Godot waiting for John Galt.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hallux @4.2.1    2 years ago

Are you trying to change my mind?  If you are, you may want to try a different tactic.  This one failed.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.2.4    2 years ago
Are you trying to change my mind?

No, I'm trying to get you to either change your underwear or to at least wear them in the shower. Attempting to change a partisan mindset is akin to an Einstein 'quote' that he never said.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    2 years ago

GOP should be so gleeful about Sinema's latests move.  No way in heck is she ever going to support forced birth.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

A lot of voters in Arizona are wondering what took her so long?