╌>

U.S. Trade Deficit Hit Record in 2022 - WSJ

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  33 comments

By:   Harriet Torry and Jason Douglas (WSJ)

U.S. Trade Deficit Hit Record in 2022 - WSJ
Trade gap rises to $948.1 billion as the U.S. continues to depend on imports to meet domestic demand

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S. imports rose in December as demand for consumer goods and autos picked up, partially offsetting a weakening in global trade late last year and widening the U.S. trade deficit by 10.5%.

The trade deficit in goods and services was a seasonally adjusted $67.4 billion in December, the Commerce Department said Tuesday, up from a revised $61 billion November.

The U.S. trade deficit for all of 2022 rose 12.2% to $948.1 billion, the widest gap on record, as the U.S. continued to depend heavily on imports from other countries to meet domestic demand. Exports also rose last year as global demand for U.S.-made products picked up. A U.S. dollar rally last year drove up the cost of U.S. goods and helped widen the annual deficit.

U.S. imports rose 1.3% in December from November and exports decreased 0.9% during the same period. Overall imports of goods and services fell in the final two quarters of the year, the department said, closing out a year in which high inflation, the Ukraine war and supply imbalances weighed on global demand.

Demand for exported goods like industrial supplies and consumer goods made by the world’s largest economy waned in December, and Americans bought more foreign-made products such as cellphones and vehicles. The trade figures aren’t adjusted for inflation.

International commerce weakened across the globe at the end of the year. In China, an export boom that propelled the world’s second-largest economy through much of the pandemic has sputtered as inflation and rising interest rates squeeze spending in the U.S. and Europe.

China’s exports to the rest of the world fell 9.9% in December compared with a year earlier, a steeper decline than the 8.7% drop recorded in November, according to Chinese customs data, reversing a long spell of surging exports as Western consumers snapped up electronics and other consumer goods while working from home during the pandemic.

In Europe, trade fell sharply at the end of 2022, reflecting weakening domestic and overseas demand. German imports of goods dropped 6.1% in December from the prior month, while exports fell by 6.3%. In France, imports were 1.9% lower in the fourth quarter compared with the third, while exports were down 0.3%.

Trade trends reflect a normalization of commerce as the impact of the pandemic fades, Gregory Daco, chief economist, Ernst & Young LLP, said. “Both supply and demand are rebalancing after a massive shock,” he said.

Global demand for U.S. exports has eased, he said, adding imports are likely to come “under increased pressure in an environment where consumer spending and business investment growth are moderating,” he added.

Recent U.S. economic figures have been mixed as the Federal Reserve  continues raising interest rates  to cool the economy and bring down inflation.  Consumer spending weakened  late last year and  manufacturing activity declined . But job growth accelerated in January and the economy  grew at a solid 2.9% annual rate  last quarter.

The economic outlook has improved recently in other parts of the world.  China eased Covid-19 restrictions  and largely reopened its economy. And Europe  showed signs of stabilizing  after the easing energy shortage threats related to the Ukraine war. The global economy is expected  to grow this year at a faster pace  than previously expected, the International Monetary Fund said last week.

Chinese exports for 2022 were 7% higher than a year earlier, at $3.6 trillion, though that marked a slowdown from a double-digit percentage gain in 2021. That has reinforced concerns that China will no longer be able to count on robust trade to power its growth in 2023.

Fading Western demand and China’s zero-tolerance approach to Covid-19 outbreaks through last year took their toll on overseas sales by other Asian export powerhouses last year, too. South Korea’s exports in December were 9.6% lower than a year earlier, while exports from Taiwan were down 3%, according to data provider CEIC.

Japan’s exports in December grew 11.5%, aided by a steep fall in the yen against the dollar and other major currencies. Still, that was slower than the near-20% annual growth recorded in November, and sharply below annual growth of close to 30% recorded in September.

Supply-chain snarls related to the pandemic helped push U.S. inflation to a four-decade high last year, before price increases slowed as disruptions eased and the Fed raised interest rates. Business inventories fluctuated as companies slowed orders after building stockpiles aggressively in 2021, weighing on economic growth for part of last year.

Exports of U.S. liquefied natural gas boomed after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine led to sanctions on its energy products. Americans flocked to Europe as international travel reopened, taking advantage of a strong dollar.

Growth in U.S. imports slowed last year compared with 2021 as consumers spent less on goods such as home-fitness equipment and furniture and shifted spending to services. Spending on services rose 4.5% last year, while spending on goods declined 0.4%, according to the Commerce Department.

Households spent down savings that were built up earlier in the pandemic. Borrowing costs rose rapidly as interest rates climbed.

Global shipping demand has slowed since November after retailers amassed excess inventory, said Anthony Fullbrook, the U.S. head of Taiwanese cargo and freight company OEC Group.

“We’re still dealing with oversupply, over-inventory from Covid,” he said. Mr. Fulbrook said the sharp slowdown in the U.S. housing market has reduced demand for shipments of furniture, kitchenware and lighting. “Globally, everyone is suffering from excess supply,” he said.

A wider trade deficit is consistent with a U.S. economy growing faster than other parts of the world, as people with higher incomes in the U.S. buy more imported goods.

“The U.S. consumer has a very steady pulse, they’re looking healthy,”  Visa  Inc. Chief Financial Officer Vasant Prabhu said. “Under the surface there have been changes, shifts from buying products to services and from buying things to doing things,” he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

I wonder if this gets mentioned at tonight's State of the Union address?

We did it to ourselves

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

you did it to yourself by voting for trump twice.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year
The U.S. trade deficit for all of 2022 rose 12.2% to $948.1 billion, the widest gap on record,

Seems to me people are still blaming Trump when Biden is in office.

How silly that is!

When does Biden ever become responsible for ANYTHING to leftists?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

That makes no sense, but it wasn't intented to, was it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.2    last year
That makes no sense, but it wasn't intented to, was it?

Plainly, no.

But hey, why let an article about the trade deficit under Biden stop anyone from blurting out "But Trump" nonsense?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    last year

You got it.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Ender  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

I can only shake my head. The article talks about how the rest of the world is doing about the same as we are and republicans only see from a limited perspective.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

Ya!  Indeed.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @1.1.5    last year

he article talks about how the rest of the world is doing about the same 

How can every country  be running record trade deficits?  Its a zero sum game. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @1.1.5    last year
The article talks about how the rest of the world is doing about the same as we are and republicans only see from a limited perspective.

So, how many countries have record trade deficits?

From a Democratic point of view!

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    last year

Did you read the article? It talks about China, Taiwan and South Korea all being down in exports.

Talks about Germany and Europe.

Like I said, can only see from a limited perspective.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    last year

You tell me if you know.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @1.1.10    last year
You tell me if you know.

I haven't a clue about what most Democrats think, except for the usual "But Trump".

BTW, "down in exports" doesn't necessarily mean huge trade deficits.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    last year

It also lists their imports are down so it makes sense that we would be exporting less if these other countries are having a hard time and not importing as much.

It talks about an imbalance that is trying to work itself out after a global pandemic.

Maybe the republicans can enact more tariffs and make things cost more...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.2    last year

It makes perfect sense.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.14  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    last year

“I haven't a clue about…”

….pick the topic…so tired of the ‘but trump’ idiocy. Some folks use him as a defensive crutch in lieu of offering anything of substance in healing or moving forward. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.14    last year
so tired of the ‘but trump’ idiocy.

yeah, maybe that should be directed to the author of post 1.1

Some folks use him as a defensive crutch in lieu of offering anything of substance in healing or moving forward. 

Yes, anything to deflect from Biden--got it!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.14    last year
Some folks use him as a defensive crutch in lieu of offering anything of substance in healing or moving forward.

It's pretty common among those suffering from TDS.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.16    last year

America's other pandemic!

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.16    last year

Speaking of common ailments entrapped by common diagnoses ... 'common sense' falls prey to its own sword.

Spare us all by coming up with something new Jeremy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.18    last year
Spare us all by coming up with something new Jeremy.

Maybe he will when people have fully recovered from TDS.

Probably be a few more years at least if the comments here are any indication at all.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.20  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.19    last year
Probably be a few more years at least if the comments here are any indication at all

A few years?  Your being generous aren't you?  I'm seeing decades.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    last year
Seems to me people are still blaming Trump when Biden is in office.

I don't blame either of them, the blame game is a partisan infatuation that in America has become a traditional pastime wherein the 'best' cherry picker according to his/her followers 'wins'.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.21    last year

Perhaps reading the post I responded to would enlighten you to what I refer to.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.20    last year
I'm seeing decades.

Oh goody, Nostradamus finally has a second coming. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.23    last year
Oh goody, Nostradamus finally has a second coming. 

Just his observation after seeing hundreds of posts which deflect to Trump--like post 1.1!

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.22    last year

I read all of the posts and took a shot at both sides ... yes-yes, I know that is a no-no.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.25    last year
I read all of the posts

Seems like your posts read otherwise.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.26    last year

K level's understand me, should I try for a younger crowd?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.27    last year
K level's understand me, should I try for a younger crowd?

I understood you perfectly.

Perhaps you would be better off conversing with your equals, though, so give THAT a try!

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.28    last year

Alas my equals are nesting 'neath the Elysium at the Asylum of Charenton ... seems they one and all came down with the Danbury shakes.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2  Nerm_L    last year

So, the United States can't compete in capitalist trade?  Yet we're supposed to believe that, somehow, this is an endorsement for the neoliberal rule-based international order.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     last year

China is the largest exporter in the world, and the US is second worldwide in exports. 

The US is the largest importer in the world and China is the second in worldwide imports. 

There are two ways to reverse this and that is purchasing less from other countries or exporting more from the US to other countries. 

US exports topped two trillion for the first time in history led by exports of fossil fuels.

Top 5 U.S. Exports

As the second-largest exporter in the world—outranked only by China—total U.S. exports for 2022 could top $2 trillion for the first time,   according to Census Bureau data . (Final totals will be released in February.) According to the data available so far this year, through October, the following are the   United States’ top exports :

1. Gasoline and Other Fuels
  2. Crude Petroleum
  3. Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) and Other Natural Gases
  4. Civilian Aircraft Parts
  5. Passenger Vehicles

China is our third-largest export market.