╌>

Trump closes gap, tied with DeSantis in new poll of GOP voters | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  24 comments

By:   Julia Mueller (The Hill)

Trump closes gap, tied with DeSantis in new poll of GOP voters | The Hill
Former President Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) are tied among GOP voters as the leading choice for the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee, according to a new poll. A Monmouth University poll found a third of Republican voters saw Trump, who kicked off his campaign in November, as their top presidential pick, and…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Julia Mueller - 02/09/23 12:36 PM ET
by Julia Mueller - 02/09/23 12:36 PM ET
Trump-DeSantis-2023.jpeg?w=2000&ssl=1 AP Photo/MarAlex Brandon/Marta Lavandier

Former President Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) are tied among GOP voters as the leading choice for the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee,according to a new poll.

A Monmouth University poll found a third of Republican voters saw Trump, who kicked off his campaign in November, as their top presidential pick, and another third favored DeSantis, who has yet to formally announce he's running.

Former Vice President Mike Pence scored just 2 percent support and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley — who is set to become the only other big-name Republican officially in the ring with Trump — earned just 1 percent.

Trump closed the gap with DeSantis from a similar poll back in December that put the Florida governor ahead by 13 points, with 39 percent support compared to 26 percent for the former president. Trump has since climbed 7 points, and DeSantis has fallen 6 points.

But despite the uptick in voters backing Trump for the GOP nomination, DeSantis takes the win in a hypothetical primary match-up between the two, earning 53 percent to Trump's 40 percent.

"Both Trump and DeSantis are well-liked by the party's rank and file, but it's likely that voter opinion of Trump is more firmly set than it is for DeSantis right now. The unknown factor is whether DeSantis can maintain this early edge if and when he gets on the campaign trail," Monmouth University Polling Institute Director Patrick Murray said in a report.

An Economist-YouGov poll released earlier this week found that although more than half of Republicans support a Trump reelection run (54 percent), less than half actually prefer the former president as the GOP's nominee come the primary (41 percent).

DeSantis was close on Trump's heels in the poll, with 35 percent of the party saying he's their first choice for the Republican pick.

The Florida governor is said to be close to a final call on whether he'll run in 2024 and is widely expected to jump in the ring.

Taken Jan. 26 to Feb. 2, the Monmouth poll surveyed 566 voters who identify with or lean toward the Republican Party. The margin of error was plus or minus 6.1 percentage points.

Tags 2024 2024 GOP presidential primary 2024 presidential election DeSantis v. Trump Donald Trump Nikki Haley Ron DeSantis Ron DeSantis

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

It looks like Joe is cruising towards reelection!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Brandon's problems are only starting.

Two years of being dragging through the political mud by the House; along with the shit storms he has and will cause himself.

Republicans want Brandon to run unopposed for Democrats- he is the best thing going for Republicans. 

No hiding in the basement screaming "I am not Trump" for Brandon this time.

He has a record that can and will be used against him; and he has as many warts as Trump now legally.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    last year

Meanwhile back in reality, in the U S of A...

original

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    last year

a year from now the rival factions will probably be shooting at each other... ... bummer.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @1.2    last year

DeSantis and Haley will team up against Trump...they'll fight clean while he does his usual hateful schtick.

It won't play well this time around because he will be going up against two popular and successful opponents.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.1    last year

More gop candidates is good for Trump!

Most gop primaries are winner takes all...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Don't the Dems have anyone is who is younger, more vigorous, physically and mentally healthy, can walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time, is scandal free and who doesn't carry a nearly 50 year load of baggage?

Is he the best the Dems can do? Brandon can fool the people the first time around, but now that they have had a good look at this lying, divisive, and destructive POS...they don't want him back...and that includes 2 out of 3 Democrats?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    last year
Don't the Dems have anyone is who is younger, more vigorous, physically and mentally healthy, can walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time, is scandal free and who doesn't carry a nearly 50 year load of baggage?

Like this guy?
gettyimages-86451042_master.jpg?itok=UHgK1lQG p06n0x4x.jpg

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    last year

Still, the Democrats have America's Senior Statesman, five term US Senator, two term Vice President Joe Biden of Delaware, The President of the United States of America who whooped Trump ass handily in 2020!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.3.2    last year

Yet only 42% of Americans approve of Biden’s presidency, essentially the same  as at his last State of the Union address, and a lower percentage at this point than any president in 75 years of polling except for Trump and Reagan (who was in a deep recession). 62% believe that he has accomplished little.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.3    last year

Please nominate Trump. He is a loser...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.1    last year

So you see no difference between steps and a rail and climbing a grassy hill looking for a golf ball.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.3.4    last year

I'm not empowered to nominate anyone and if I was, it wouldn't be Trump.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.3.5    last year
So you see no difference between steps and a rail and climbing a grassy hill looking for a golf ball.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make...?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.3.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.7    last year

My bad. I thought you were comparing Biden on the plane steps to Trump. Now I realize that is that picture with TP on Trump's shoe.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.3.8    last year
I thought you were comparing Biden on the plane steps to Trump.

Now that's embarrassing...  View from the back did not make it easy to identify Trump, but I thought the toilet paper incident was well known enough to offer identification.

If I were to compare the 2, and I was tempted.  I would have shown Trump in his golf cart and Biden pedaling away on his bicycle.  Who knows, maybe that would have been a better idea.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.3.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.3    last year
and a lower percentage at this point than any president in 75 years of polling except for Trump

And as long as Trump is a factor that is all that matters.

I don't want Biden to run, I want someone to come to the front and for Biden to quietly support them, but until Biden says otherwise Trump is a ticket for a second Biden term. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    last year
Former President Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) are tied among GOP voters as the leading choice for the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nominee,according to a new poll.

The GoP is so lost.    They just cannot muster the courage to break free of Trump and, in the end, they will pay for this by losing to whomever runs for PotUS on the D side.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  TᵢG @2    last year

The party lost any identity or platform with the Tea Party, and then pledged fealty to Trump. Now that Trump is a continual loser, he always was, they have no clue what to do. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    last year

We need a couple more crazy candidates to be sure of victory. Thankfully, there are s-o-o-o many in the GOP.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    last year

Then Trump wins the winner takes all primaries!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  JBB @3.1    last year

I just want the entertainment.

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
4  RU4Real    last year

Not a knock to Trump but it seems he has never stopped campaigning.  It's like the 2016 campaign run hasn't ended, just in extra innings.  Even with DeSantis, seems all his moves are  Trump-topping / see, I can out-Trump Trump.  He seems to always be campaigning for top spot.

Agree there is a need to pay attention to potential candidates but it seems over the last two elections it just doesn't stop.  Maybe it happened before, maybe always but just seems more apparent now. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    last year

Terrible news for the GOP.