╌>

George Soros responds to GOP attacks over Manhattan DA: 'I don't know him' | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  70 comments

By:   Jared Gans (The Hill)

George Soros responds to GOP attacks over Manhattan DA: 'I don't know him' | The Hill
Prominent Democratic donor George Soros responded to Republican attacks on him over Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's (D) investigation that led to an indictment of former President Trump, saying that "I don't know" Bragg. Soros told Semafor that he did not contribute any money to Bragg's campaign to become district attorney and does not know…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Jared Gans - 03/31/23 9:15 AM ET

Prominent Democratic donor George Soros responded to Republican attacks on him over Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's (D) investigation that led to an indictment of former President Trump, saying that "I don't know" Bragg.

Soros told Semafor that he did not contribute any money to Bragg's campaign to become district attorney and does not know him. His response came as several members of the GOP have denounced Bragg as being backed and funded by Soros.

"I think some on the right would rather focus on far-fetched conspiracy theories than on the serious charges against the former president," Soros said.

He has contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to Color of Change PAC, which endorsed Bragg and spent money to help his candidacy.

Soros has often been the subject of right-wing attacks and some conspiracy theories based on the large donations he has made to Democratic candidates over the years. Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who leads a right-wing party, criticized Soros over donations he has made to support democracy in his native country, Hungary, and included some antisemitic tropes.

The Anti-Defamation League reported that conspiracy theories surrounding Soros have falsely attempted to cast him as controlling global society, leaning into antisemitic myths.

Soros pointed Semafor to an op-ed that he wrote in The Wall Street Journal as to why he has donated to "reform-minded prosecutors."

He said in the piece that he believes both justice and safety need to be advanced in the criminal justice system. He said greater investment needs to happen to prevent crime through methods like deploying mental health professionals in "crisis situations," investing in youth job programs and creating opportunities for inmates to get an education while in prison.

Soros said "reform-minded" prosecutors and law enforcement officials have rallied around a more "effective and just" agenda.

"This is why I have supported the election (and more recently the re-election) of prosecutors who support reform," he said in the op-ed. "I have done it transparently, and I have no intention of stopping. The funds I provide enable sensible reform-minded candidates to receive a hearing from the public."

Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and other top Republicans have targeted Bragg following the Trump indictment by tying him to Soros.

"The Soros-backed Manhattan District Attorney has consistently bent the law to downgrade felonies and to excuse criminal misconduct. Yet, now he is stretching the law to target a political opponent," DeSantis said in a statement Thursday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Soros, a conspiracy theorist's Jewish bogeyman...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Soros, a conspiracy theorist's Jewish bogeyman...

Maybe he owns the Jewish laser satellites?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    last year

In cooperation with Hillary Clinton...

original

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    last year

You beat me to it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  cjcold @1.1.2    last year

You beat me to it.

I've learned that you've gotta be quick around you.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    last year
Maybe he owns the Jewish laser satellites?

Good one, like all religious people George should be exempt from criticism. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1    last year

I'm amused by the Left's attack on venture capitalists while loving George who cost the British government over 3 billion pounds in 1992 pounds and cost the British people jacked up interest rates of 15%.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    last year

I was about to seed this...

Let's see how long it takes the progressives to figure out the gaping, mile wide hole in this argument. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    last year

Like Soros knows where his money goes other than to the Democrat party................he has people for that FFS.

Don't hang your hat on this one libs.............

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    last year

original

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    last year

Soros doesn't control the world- he just controls Democrats who want to control the US.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    last year

wasn't going to. Why would Soros get involved in one DA election?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    last year

He wrote an op ed explaining  why he donates tens of millions to elect progressive  District attorneys.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    last year

Personally he wouldn't. But his money does..............

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    last year

Do tell. Let me guess. Is Soros a lizard person?

original

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2.2    last year

No, just another leftist multi billionaire asshole who uses his money to buy Democrats and increase his power.

And stop insulting lizard people before they invade us and turn us into cattle!/S

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @2.2    last year

That looks more like an octopus....

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.2    last year

Looks more like a mollusk person.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.3    last year

Doc Oc from Spider man

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.5  charger 383  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.4    last year

Soros reminds me of Emperor Palpatine 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.1    last year
No, just another leftist multi billionaire asshole who uses his money to buy Democrats and increase his power.

So...  What is your Republican controlled Congress doing to get the money out of our elections?  Investigations?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    last year

So he is a liar. What else is new.

He funds the PAC's that gives the money to the DA's.

Most of the criticism of Bragg appears to stem from support, and later political pressure, he received from the racial justice group Color of Change, which tries to influence government and corporate policy around the country. Soros donated $1 million to the Color of Change PAC in 2021. The Soros-funded Open Society Policy Center also piled $7 million into the group’s separate 501(c)(4) arm that year.

Yet, those familiar with the contributions said that the money the billionaire and his organization gave to Color of Change was not earmarked to back Bragg’s campaign, or intended to be used in an effort to pressure the DA.

Soros’ $1 million check to the Color of Change PAC, the largest individual donation it received in the 2022 election cycle, came days after it endorsed Bragg for district attorney and pledged more than $1 million in spending to support his candidacy, according to records.

A Color of Change official, who declined to be named to speak openly about private matters, told CNBC that the group ended up spending around $500,000 to back Bragg.

It was just all one big happy coincidence. Color of Change announced it was going to fund Bragg to the tune of $1 million dollars- and a few days later Soros gave them a check for $1 million dollars. Funny how that worked out. It is almost as if Soros planned it- he didn't have to ear mark the money or anything.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ronin2 @3    last year

But Soros never met him! How can you support someone you never met? 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    last year

I never met Trump but still feel he is an evil ignorant asshole.

Unlike Trump, I actually remember his acts and statements. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.2  bugsy  replied to  cjcold @3.1.1    last year

[deleted]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    last year

"The Soros-backed Manhattan District Attorney has consistently bent the law to downgrade felonies and to excuse criminal misconduct. Yet, now he is stretching the law to target a political opponent," DeSantis said in a statement Thursday"

Reform minded prosecutors amounts to being soft on crime, and coddling criminals.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @4    last year
and coddling criminals

Doesn't seem so in this case does it?

It's about time somebody finally stood up to this narcissistic criminal asshole.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    last year

Another attempt to deflect from what's going on with the Orange Bad Man.

Man...don;t you cons ever get tired of being wrong?

Thomas
Senior Guide
6  Thomas    last year
"I think some on the right would rather focus on far-fetched conspiracy theories than on the serious charges against the former president," Soros said.

Ya think? Smoke and mirrors 101. But keep it up, it makes them so easily punctured, and then the logically based and sane people can watch them go"phhhhhhttt-phht-phhht" as they bounce around the room to no affect at all. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @6    last year

So in your world, Soros funding progressive district attorneys is a "conspiracy theory" even though Soros writes op-eds admitting that he does? 

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.1  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    last year
So in your world, Soros funding progressive district attorneys is a "conspiracy theory" even though Soros writes op-eds admitting that he does? 

Are you trying to tell us that there are absolutely no donors that fun conservative district attorneys? 

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.2  Hallux  replied to  evilone @6.1.1    last year

Who is Leonard Leo?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @6.1.1    last year
to tell us that there are absolutely no donors that fun conservative district attorneys? 

On that scale? Not that I'm aware of.   But if you have any information that a donor is spending tens of millions to fund conservative district attorneys across the country I'd be interested to see it.

If such a donor exists, do you think said conservative donor should be immune from criticism? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @6.1.2    last year
Who is Leonard Leo?

By all means, point out how much Leonard Leo spends on local district attorneys. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.5  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.4    last year

Pick one:

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.6  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.3    last year
On that scale? ... If such a donor exists, do you think said conservative donor should be immune from criticism? 

Why does that matter? There are some deep pocketed ultra conservative donors, just as there are deep pocketed liberal donors. Past the fact they can donate I don't care. Politics would be better off without donations of any kind, but since I lost that argument this is what we have. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @6.1.5    last year

None of those links support your claim, but you probably already  know that. 

You've deflected, and that was your purpose. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @6.1.6    last year
Why does that matter? 

Isn't it obvious? The argument from the left is Sorors can't be criticized for spending tens of millions of dollars to fund progressive DAs or its "racist"

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.9  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.8    last year
The argument from the left is Sorors can't be criticized for spending tens of millions of dollars to fund progressive DAs or its "racist"

The argument from the left is criticizing Soros is hypocritical at best and historically he has been criticized by racists. I do agree with the point you are trying to make that all criticism of Soros isn't racist, but because of that past criticism it's easy (although lazy) for the reactionary left to automatically go there.

We need to drown political populism in it's bathwater so we can get back to actually solving problems. Polls show people are way more concerned with kitchen table issues of economics, healthcare and community safety than playing bullshit partisan circus games.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.10  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    last year

So you have never heard of ALEC?

Far right wing fascism funders who hate democracy?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @6.1.10    last year

Any sources or just opinions?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  cjcold @6.1.10    last year
So you have never heard of ALEC?

Which local district attorneys did it contribute millions to? 

right wing fascism funders who hate democracy?

See how that works? You, [deleted,] attacked a group for funding things you don't like.  That's how our republic works [(deleted)

Thomas
Senior Guide
6.1.13  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    last year

Have you stopped beating your wife yet? 

This type of question is used to bumfuzzle people who are not paying attention.  

Precisely what is wrong with funding political action committees? The SCotUS said it was okay. I didn't agree with that decision, but the right seemed to be ecstatic.  

So I don't see how his giving money can be a conspiracy.  I think you are just dog-whistleing to the party faithful to distract from the fact that Trump is being given the type of treatment he deserves. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @6.1.13    last year
recisely what is wrong with funding political action committees? The SCotUS said it was ok

Precisely what is wrong talking about  it? 

So I don't see how his giving money can be a conspiracy.

Lol. you and Soros called criticizing him a conspiracy, even though its 100% accurate. 

you are just dog-whistleing to the 

The projection here is off the charts.  Pay attention to what's happening.

Con: Soros is giving millions to Progressive DAs.

Soros prog: That's a conspiracy theory!

Con:  Here's the Op-Ed by Soros explaining why he's giving millions to progressive district Attorneys..

Soros Prog: Criticizing Soros is racist!

Thomas
Senior Guide
6.1.15  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.14    last year

I never said that he did not give money to PACs or whatever they are called nowadays and I never claimed that talking about it was wrong, either. 

"The Soros-backed Manhattan District Attorney has consistently bent the law to downgrade felonies and to excuse criminal misconduct. Yet, now he is stretching the law to target a political opponent," DeSantis said in a statement Thursday.

For one thing, I will need some proof of that statement. The mere fact that DeSantis mentions his name is a dog whistle to conspiracy theorists. I do not believe that Soros directly backed the progressive candidates but donated money to organizations that backed the candidates. Was he on the Board of Directors of the group or groups that he donated to? Did he have direct control over whom or how much money went to any one candidate? If you believe otherwise, show me the proof.

At the end of the article, there is a list of tags:

TAGS ALVIN BRAGG ALVIN BRAGG CONSPIRACY THEORIES DONALD TRUMP GEORGE SOROS GEORGE SOROS REFORM TRUMP INDICTMENT VIKTOR ORBAN

Look, it's there! What a coincidence. 

Can you refute the claim by Soros: "I don't know him"? 

Do you have any knowledge of a personal relationship between George Soros and Alvin Bragg? Business? 

Do you have any evidence of a quid-pro-quo between Mr. Soros and Mr. Bragg? 

Do you know of any conspiracy theories related to Mr. Soros? Mr. Bragg? The two of them together?

Returning to the Soros quote:

“I think some on the right would rather focus on far-fetched conspiracy theories than on the serious charges against the former president,” Soros said. 

Now, what exactly are you kvetching about??

And, just for grins and giggles:

The projection here is off the charts.  Pay attention to what's happening.

Con: Soros is giving millions to Progressive DAs.

Soros prog: That's a conspiracy theory!

Con:  Here's the Op-Ed by Soros explaining why he's giving millions to progressive district Attorneys..

Soros Prog: Criticizing Soros is racist!

Can you see what is going on here??? 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
8  Wishful_thinkin    last year

I'm sure that Koch Industries also knows to which candidates each and every dollar it provides to PACs goes, or maybe not....hmmmm, but...but...but Soros.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1  cjcold  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @8    last year

And the many, years and the many millions of dollars that the Kochs spent denying the obvious reality of anthropogenic global warming.

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2  bugsy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @8    last year

Off topic deflection so maybe you can write a seed about it.l

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
8.2.1  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  bugsy @8.2    last year

First, you don't get to decide what's off topic on this article.  Second, it is on topic and not a deflection per some comments in 6. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.2  bugsy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @8.2.1    last year
you don't get to decide what's off topic on this article.

I;m not making any decisions. I'm simply pointing out what it is.

"Second, it is on topic and not a deflection per some comments in 6."

So flag them.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
8.2.3  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  bugsy @8.2.2    last year

And I'm pointing out that you are wrong. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9  Sparty On    last year

Meh, hitler didn’t know every storm trooper he had loading the ovens either.