╌>

Stephen Colbert Isn't Fazed by the News About Clarence Thomas - The New York Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  5 comments

By:   Trish Bendix (nytimes)

Stephen Colbert Isn't Fazed by the News About Clarence Thomas - The New York Times
"'Wow, I can't believe Clarence Thomas did something inappropriate,' said a woolly mammoth reanimated after being frozen in the Siberian permafrost," Colbert joked.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"'Wow, I can't believe Clarence Thomas did something inappropriate,' said a woolly mammoth reanimated after being frozen in the Siberian permafrost," Colbert joked.

Justice Clarence Thomas says the billionaire who's treated him to many luxury trips has been a personal friend for 25 years. "OK, but you've been on the Supreme Court for 31 years," Stephen Colbert noted.Credit...CBSauthor-trish-bendix-thumbLarge.png

By Trish Bendix

April 11, 2023, 2:06 a.m. ET

Red Flags on the S.S. Moneybags

Clarence Thomas, the Supreme Court justice, has come under fire for accepting lavish trips and gifts from Harlan Crow, a wealthy conservative donor, without disclosing that he had done so.

"'Wow, I can't believe Clarence Thomas did something inappropriate,' said a woolly mammoth reanimated after being frozen in the Siberian permafrost," Stephen Colbert joked on Monday.

"Crow's relationship with Justice Thomas was more than just a few voyages on the S.S. Moneybags. These luxury trips happened virtually every year for more than two decades, including trips around the world on Crow's superyacht, flying on Crow's G5 jet, and visits to Crow's various estates, including one in the Adirondacks, which has a three-boat garage. Well, yeah, a busy family's got to have three boats — what if the kids sleep late and miss the school yacht?" — STEPHEN COLBERT

"Thomas insists that these gifts from Crow don't count because of their personal relationship, saying, 'We have been friends for over 25 years.' OK, but you've been on the Supreme Court for 31 years. 'Oh, it's not a bribe — he's my friend.' 'Oh, how'd you guys meet?' 'Oh, he was bribing me.'" — STEPHEN COLBERT

"He's your close personal friend that you know everything about, so I guess it would be really embarrassing to learn that Harlan Crow has a collection of Adolf Hitler artifacts and Nazi memorabilia, including two paintings by Hitler. Ladies, take note. That is a red flag." — STEPHEN COLBERT

"Crow also has a display of swastika-embossed linens. Yeah, yeah. It all comes with the Monsters of History fine dining set: You get the Nazi Napkins, the Pol Pots and Pans, and the Osama bin Ladle." — STEPHEN COLBERT

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

The US Senate is now asking that Chief Justice Roberts investigate Thomas for acceptance of inappropriate gifts from wealthy gop donors...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Is this supposed to be satire?

George
Junior Expert
1.1.1  George  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

No, just typical poor attempt at humor, veiled in racism. If you criticize an African American you are a racist, didn't we learn that during the Obama administration?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @1    last year

They can get to that request right after they locate and prosecute the leaker of the abortion ruling. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    last year

Justice Thomas will always be in perpetual state of-------------"Steven."