╌>

Granholm supports requiring U.S. military to adopt all-electric vehicle fleet by 2030

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  last year  •  96 comments

By:   Yahoo Life

Granholm supports requiring U.S. military to adopt all-electric vehicle fleet by 2030
Energy Sec. Jennifer Granholm says she supports efforts to require the U.S. military to implement an all-electric vehicle fleet by the year 2030, telling lawmakers that she believes "we can get there."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Read full article1FOX News Videos April 26, 2023 at 1:19 PM

Energy Sec. Jennifer Granholm says she supports efforts to require the U.S. military to implement an all-electric vehicle fleet by the year 2030, telling lawmakers that she believes "we can get there."

Advertisement

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    last year

Jenny on the block screwed up Michigan.    

Now she’s working on the entire country.

Too bad eh?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    last year

I am sure the military logistics personnel will love trying to figure out how to charge this all electric vehicle fleet in the battle field.

The enemy is sure to leave every power relay station; generator; and power plant fully operational for US troops to use./S 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    last year

Next she will want the Navy to go to sailboats

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  charger 383 @3    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif     jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @3    last year

The stupidity and incompetence coming from Biden’s cabinet is endless.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ronin2  replied to  charger 383 @3    last year

That will go nicely with air force gliders.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @3.3    last year

The US Army, in WWII, had a number of glider troops who were part of the 101st Airborne and the 82nd Airborne. They fought in many of the major battles of WWII in Europe. the 327th GIR of the 101st Airborne earned the motto the Bastogne Bulldogs, which should be self-explanatory.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @3.3.1    last year

How does that relate to the present?

By fleet, does she mean government vehicles?

Or does she mean trucks, tanks, airplanes?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @3.3.2    last year
How does that relate to the present?

Just pointing out to Ronin that the Army had glider troops which it sounds like he did not know. Did you?

By fleet, does she mean government vehicles?

Since the DoD made this announcement and was specific about the type of vehicle she said that she supports it. So it's clear what type of vehicles were being dicussed.

The Department of Defense has mandated all military branches to convert their fleets of non-combat vehicles from gas powered to electric   by 2035 . That gives each installation across the country a little more than a decade to figure out the logistics of buying the vehicles and having enough places to charge them. Apr 15, 2023

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    last year

Maybe concentrate on making the military as powerful as it can be, not as green. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    last year

The military should be encouraged to transition to electrical vehicles, but the transition must be sensible (and only the military can devise a sensible transition).   An edict like this from any politician is almost certainly not going to be well conceived.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @5    last year

What Granholm does not seem to realize is that the problem is that the performance requirements for military vehicles is sometimes vastly different than for civilian vehicles. The technology to put electric drive engines in vehicles such as the M1A2 Abrams tank or M109 Paladin mobile howitzers does not exist. Granholm appears to be just another flaky bureaucrat politician with little to know clue about the military. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    last year

I'm hoping she was talking fleet meaning vehicles (like Jeeps and Autos and Trucks) they use and not armaments vehicles.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JBB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    last year

No, she is talking about fleets of vehicles not tanks, aircraft carriers or bomber jets.

Must the right take everything to extremes?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    last year

The next generation MBT the Abrams X:

"The AbramsX technology demonstrator features reduced weight for improved mobility and transportability, delivering the same tactical range as the M1A2 Abrams with 50% less fuel consumption," General Dynamic Land Systems' press release says. "The AbramsX’s hybrid power pack supports the U.S. Army’s climate and electrification strategies, enhances silent watch capability, and even allows for some silent mobility."

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @5.1.3    last year

Hybrid yes, I can see that. But fully electric for big heavy combat vehicles is at least one or two  decades away I think.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    last year

I don't believe that she was talking about tactical vehicles but non tactical vehicles as all electric but you can see that the DoD has been moving forward on many different types of tactical vehicles and the Abrams X looks to be a winner.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    last year
No, she is talking about fleets of vehicles not tanks, aircraft carriers or bomber jets.

I would like to see your source for that, or maybe her direct quote where she says exactly that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.8  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    last year

Nah, never said it included tanks, aircraft, etc but you are confused as to who is going to extremes.    That would be Bidenettes who support dimbulbs in Bidens cabinet like Granholm and her poorly thought out policy.

The cost to accomplish this on her timeline would be astronomical.    Details.

The natural resources required to accomplish this on her timeline would be copious and sourced largely from countries not friendly to the USA.   Details.

Assuming the above can be done on her timeline, which is a massively optimistic expectation, getting it done in that timeframe for all US based forces would require significant changes in base infrastructure.    More unrealistic expectations.    Details.

Why must some of you on the left be so dull and/or disingenuous?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.9  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    last year

It doesn't really matter what Granholm says even though she already doubled down on "all vehicles". Her boss is Joe Biden, the so-called CoC, and he said the same last year:

While delivering Earth Day remarks from Seward Park in Seattle, Washington, Biden said last April his administration is working to make " every vehicle " in the United States military "climate-friendly."

"One of the things I found out as President of the United States, I get to spend a lot of that money,"  Biden said at the time . "We’re going to start the process where every vehicle in the United States military, every vehicle , is going to be climate-friendly — every vehicle — I mean it."

He added: "We’re spending billions of dollars to do it."

vehicle

noun

:   a means of carrying or transporting something
planes, trains, and other   vehicles
: such as
b a piece of mechanized equipment

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.8    last year

And gullible as well.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.8    last year

"Why must some of you on the left be so dull and/or disingenuous?"

Could be nature or could be nurture, take your pick.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @5    last year

The DoD is well on its way to making the transition:

The Department of Defense has mandated all military branches to convert their fleets of non-combat vehicles from gas powered to electric   by 2035 . That gives each installation across the country a little more than a decade to figure out the logistics of buying the vehicles and having enough places to charge them. Apr 15, 2023

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5    last year

Agreed on all points

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    last year

The NYPD is successfully transitioning to EVs...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @6    last year

City cops that stay within the city limits and aren't driven at speed is a lot easier. There are already cars so to transition to electric cars is good. However the big SWAT or bomb squad trucks and the like, I'm not so sure would be a good idea............but who knows.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    last year

The fuel savings over the lifetime of a police vehicle is estimated at seventy thousand $s! It would probably bbeeven more for big trucks...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    last year

Electrically driven over the road trucks wouldn't work. Too costly and impractical.

And no charging stations in fly over country or in the Western mountains and deserts.

And so many of these EV's have had battery fires.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.2    last year

In hot pursuit of murder suspect .... no wait ..... just ran out of juice .... nearest charging station miles away ....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.2    last year

I will relay a story that happened locally just  a couple weeks ago .

an out of stater driving through , left Riverton Wy  headed for Rock Springs Wy /I-80 , trip of 120 miles .  weather wasnt good , we got hit with a high mnt  snow system pretty good .

driver left with what its on board said was a sufficient charge for conditions ,  he made it about 60 miles before he ran out of "juice ".

granted the route he took , South Pass is no slouch and even as a semi driver i give that road much respect in good conditions , in bad i avoid it . once one leaves lander ,Wy there is nothing , and i mean nothing as far as services or amenities .

He did end up making it to his destination and next charging point , but on the back of a flatbed tow truck .

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.5  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.4    last year

Bet the tow truck was fossil fuel powered ....jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.6  bugsy  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    last year
The fuel savings over the lifetime of a police vehicle is estimated at seventy thousand $s!

OK, so how much would fuel costs be to run the charging systems?

You do realize they are powered by fossil fuels, right?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.2    last year
Electrically driven over the road trucks wouldn't work. Too costly and impractical.

better call Elon and tell him to forget about the Tesla Semi, because you said so. /s

Semi | Tesla

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.3    last year

Somehow I doubt there is room for spare batteries...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @6.1.6    last year
You do realize they are powered by fossil fuels, right?

What the sun suddenly died?  No wind? 

No water flow at the local dam/power plant?

No modified bike charger?

Hello?  WWII?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.10  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.9    last year

Yes because all of those sources are 100 percent reliable like fossil fuels s/

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @6.1.10    last year
Yes because all of those sources are 100 percent reliable like fossil fuels s/

What method would you use to transition the USA from fossil fuels as our predominant source of energy?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @6    last year

The NYPD doesn't operate in combat zones with zero infrastructure. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.1  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.2    last year

Most military miles driven are on base!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @6.2.1    last year

[deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.2    last year

Bingo!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.2.3    last year

[Deleted]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @6.2.1    last year

Most combat vehicles are not.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.6  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.5    last year

Not yet...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.7  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @6.2.1    last year

Not in war, not in combat.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.2.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.5    last year

Amen to that. Did plenty of exercises way out in the middle of the Sonoran and Mojave deserts a long ways away from military installations.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.2.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JBB @6.2.1    last year

No.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @6    last year

Currently, the NYPD only has two EV models in service: the Chevrolet Bolt and the Mach-E. A fleet of 32 Bolts is assigned to Traffic Control, School Safety, and other non-patrol units. They have been in service for three years now, with very good reviews from both operators and mechanics. An order of 148 Ford Mach-Es was delivered, 40 unmarked, and 108 fully marked units. There has not been enough data collected to do any type of fair comparison of cost per mile or maintenance cost as of this time.

With the gauntlet of variables transitioning to EVs, departments will have to study vehicle utilization. In most cases, it will not be one size fits all for police fleets. A vehicle that would meet the mission for community patrol might not meet the mission for highway patrol. EVs would probably have a better fit on the administrative side and detective squads for now. EVs and their charging infrastructure counterparts are extremely dynamic and fluid. Within the next couple of years, the crystal ball may become clearer. My suggestion to all fleet managers is to start a pilot program and get your feet wet with EVs and collect your own data.

I don't know how *successful* that is. Do you? Please link a source for your reply. Thanks!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.3.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    last year

Interesting.     Yes, I would like to see that link as well.

Put up or shut up.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Sparty On @6.3.1    last year

It's been almost 24 hours and still no link. This is no different than many other times I've asked people for links to support their comments. I've gotten used to it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.2    last year

Do not hold your breath waiting, you will just turn blue and pass out.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.3.3    last year

I'm a member of several social media sites and have found it interesting - and very amusing - that most times, people on the far left are very reluctant to provide links that would support their statements. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.3.5  Hallux  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.4    last year
I'm a member of several social media sites

Sounds like a 'fruitful' existence.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.4    last year
people on the far left are very reluctant to provide links that would support their statements. 

They don’t need links, they take it on faith.

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.3.7  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.3.6    last year
They don’t need links, they take it on faith.

Got a link for that ... ?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @6.3.7    last year

“Cause I gotta have faith
I gotta' have faith
Because I gotta have faith, faith, faith
I got to have faith, faith, faith”

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

OK, who challenged the Biden administration to say the dumbest thing ever?  Which one of you said "How stupid can this administration get?"  WTF was is!!!!!!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7    last year

They got another two years to go so I'm sure they can top it.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1    last year

Don't challenge them.  Who knows what dumb ass shit they will try next.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.1    last year

Very true.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.1    last year
Who knows what dumb ass shit they will try next.

Well, the Biden Admin and complicit left politicians already wanted to *transform* our preferences of transportation, cooking, heating/cooling, schools/education, food choices, voting, immigration/borders, free speech, etc. With 2 more years, anything is possible.    

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.1.3    last year

With the number of failures in the first 2 years, it could be a very ugly 2 years for them.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.4    last year

Based on the damage and failures of his first 2 years, whenever Biden says Let's get this done, I cringe.

JBB
Professor Principal
8  JBB    last year

Our military must get as far away and as fast as possible from dependence on foreign petroleum.

What we must use should be only as a necessity and reserved for our big ships, planes and tanks...

This is an urgent matter of our national security!

Dumb would be to put off the transition for long. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @8    last year
"Our military must get as far away and as fast as possible from dependence on foreign petroleum".

No, we shouldn't depend on foreign petroleum, but that's Biden's fault. We were energy independent before idiot Joe slashed domestic production. Small military vehicles on bases are not of sufficient numbers that changing to EV's would make any difference.

Every other type of equipment requires gasoline or diesel fuel, and lubricating oils.

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @8.1    last year
No, we shouldn't depend on foreign petroleum, but that's Biden's fault.

No, it's the fault of every Presidential Administration and Congress since Carter's defeat.

We were energy independent before idiot Joe slashed domestic production.

No we were not. The US auto industry runs on a type of oil we don't produce, so we export our oil and import a totally different type for refining. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @8.1.1    last year

"No we were not. The US auto industry runs on a type of oil we don't produce, so we export our oil and import a totally different type for refining." 

Uh...please give us documentation supporting this statement

Sounds like something you made up.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @8.1.2    last year
Sounds like something you made up.

Well he did not make it up.   

There is more to the energy story than the crap emitted by talking heads.   I have written about this in the past but there is plenty of available information about this in the public domain.

Just do research on sweet vs. sour crude and you will get a boatload of information about the US infrastructure, types of crude and why we have (and continue to) import one type of crude while selling another.

Here is one of many articles on the subject: 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @8.1.2    last year

Are you seriously not aware that there are different types of oil?

Fucking hell.... your opinions on this issue are less than worthless.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @8    last year

DoD has around 170,000 non-tactical vehicles. To convert that fleet by 2030 starting in 2024 (optimistic) requires close to 30,000 procured each year.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2    last year

Out of that 170,000 vehicles, does that include the huge numbers the Biden administration gifted to the Taliban?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.2.1    last year

Not likely as those were primarily tactical vehicles.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.2.3  charger 383  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2    last year

170,000 serviceable vehicles will cost a lot to replace and what will they do with the old ones?  DMRO donation to States and other agencies or auction? 

Seems like a big waste of money to promote the electric car agenda

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @8.2.3    last year

For the most part, these vehicles are leased by the GSA.  At the end of the lease, 10 years, or 100,000 miles whichever comes first they go to an auto auction just like any Hertz or Avis vehicle.  GSA controls 200,000

non-combat vehicles which will be affected. 

On average there are 20,000 replaced every year.

What Happens to Used GSA Fleet Vehicles, and How Can I Buy One? — Dirt Legal

no need to panic, GSA has it covered

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.5  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2    last year

Then military vehicles will be replaced on a preexisting schedule, just as before, with new fuel and cost saving electric vehicles... 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.4    last year
On average there are 20,000 replaced every year.

Not in the Army, it’s more like 1,000 a year.  Current Army policy is to replace NTV’s with electric, or hybrid when electric isn’t commercially available and gas NTV by exception.  The Army goal since 2021 has been to have an E NTV and or hybrid fleet my 2035.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @8.2.5    last year

The current Army schedule is 2035 with a mix of electric and hybrid NTVs.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.2.8  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @8.2.3    last year

Yep, in a time when many are crowing for cuts in the military, they don’t understand they are now asking for an increase with this timeline policy.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sparty On @8.2.8    last year

The Army priorities in the 2025 Budget Request in development are:

• People - pay & benefis
    • Housing and installation
    • Recruitment
  • Readiness
    • training
    • Operations & maintenance 
  • Modernization
    • development on new equipment 
    • procurement of new equipment 

Modernization will be a bill payer for shortfalls in the first two priorities.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.2.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.9    last year

Funny how military retirement is not even on the list.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.11  JBB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.2.10    last year

The gop's proposed budget cuts half a trillion dollars from Veteran's Services!

Granholm opposes the gop on this BTW.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.2.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JBB @8.2.11    last year

I'm retired military so I din't need to use the VA health care system except if I choose to. My health care benefits falls under the DoD's TriCare For Life. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.13  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.6    last year

And the GSA leases include every federal agency. 

Should I list the one's that aren't US Army.

Not splitting hairs but the GSA actually sells 30,000 vehicles a year...

Every year, GSA Fleet sells over 30,000 vehicles. Auction inventories vary at each sale, but usually include multiple vehicle types with varying fuel capabilities. To find out how to buy used vehicles, visit  AutoAuctions .

Vehicle Purchasing | GSA

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.14  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.2.12    last year

Wise choice. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.13    last year

How many are DoD or Army?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.16  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.15    last year
Corps of Engineers, Civil Works 646 6,469 0 7,115
Defense Agencies 1,463 7,701 359 9,523
Department of the Air Force 34,772 17,507 2,089 54,368
Department of the Army 7,409 52,378 26 59,813
Department of the Navy 15,588 21,727 61 37,376
U.S. Marine Corps 4,492 8,282 71 12,845
Total Military Agencies 64,370 114,064 2,606 181,040

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.17  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.16    last year

first column was owned, second leased, 3rd commercial lease. then totals.

Federal Fleet Report (FFR) Open Data Set Library | GSA

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.2.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.16    last year

I don’t see any numbers.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.19  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.2.10    last year

I'm guessing that falls under "pay and benefits"

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.20  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.18    last year

follow the link to the fiscal year 2021 spreadsheet.

geeesh

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8    last year
Our military must get as far away and as fast as possible from dependence on foreign petroleum.

Then you should be imploring your dumbass leader to stay the hell away and out of energy policies.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    last year

Not yet. The technology just isnt there. 

More R&D is what is needed.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10  Hal A. Lujah    last year

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  Kavika     last year

It seems that the comments are mostly directed towards climate and concern of the ability of the EV. 

The climate aspect is only one of the benefits of an EV or hybrid military. The US Military is the largest institutional user of fuel on the planet, 4.2 billion gallons a year. With the face of war changing in a big way (Ukraine) long logistic lines are a huge danger to military operations and can and will make the US more vulnerable to enemy attack. China has said it will target our supply and logistics in any war with the US. The Marines' new Expeditionary advanced base operation will make them vulnerable to logistics interruption (fuel) and the ability to have less of a dependence on fuel supplies will make them much less vulnerable to enemy attack and more lethal. As we are seeing in Ukraine heavy armor is not a thing of the past, it is now and the future which makes fuel one of the main concerns of heavy armor divisions. A full US Army tank division with support vehicles can use up to 500,000 gallons of fuel a day which requires extensive logistics including tanker trucks that are especially vulnerable to enemy attack. (remember the Russian infamous 40 mile long convoy outside of Kyiv). 

If you want to be reminded of how important logistics/fuel are to an army research the ''Red Ball Express'' of WWII or Germany's drive to the sea at the Battle of the Bulge when their armor ran out of fuel. 

The new Abrams X MBT has a hybrid engine diesel/elec engine that uses half the fuel of the current Abrams MBT and even more encouraging it can run on silent mode and reduces the heat signature it sends out so it is much harder to detect. 

Currently, there are a number of defense companies working on developing tactical vehicles both EV and hybrid for the military, it will be the new face of war.