╌>

Louisiana's Fort Polk renamed after African American WWI soldier - ABC News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  35 comments

By:   ABC News

Louisiana's Fort Polk renamed after African American WWI soldier  - ABC News
The name change was part of the national campaign to change the names of U.S. Army installations to cut ties with Confederate figures in America.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As part of the national campaign to change the names of U.S. Army installations to cut ties with Confederate figures in America, Louisiana's Fort Polk was redesignated to Fort Johnson Tuesday morning.

The campaign includes renaming nine U.S. Army bases, including North Carolina's Fort Bragg changed to Fort Liberty, Texas' Fort Hood changed to Fort Cavazos and Georgia's Fort Benning changed to Fort Moore, among other changes.

Fort Polk was originally named after Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk, a Confederate commander.

MORE: North Carolina's Fort Bragg drops Confederate namesake, renamed Fort Liberty

army-file-ap-ml-230613_1686667795827_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg This undated photo provided by the U.S. Army shows Army Pvt. Henry Johnson.U.S. Army via AP, FILE

Now, the Fort Johnson base is honored for Sgt. William Henry Johnson, an African American World War I Medal of Honor recipient who served in the all-Black 369th U.S Infantry Regiment.

"Sgt. William Henry Johnson embodied the warrior spirit, and we are deeply honored to bear his name at the Home of Heroes," said Brig. Gen. David W. Gardner, commanding general of the Joint Readiness Training Center and Fort Polk, in the press release.

The North Carolina native served one tour of duty on the western edge of the Argonne Forest in France's Champagne region from 1918-1919, and became one of the first Americans to be awarded France's highest award for valor, the French Croix de Guerre avec Palme.

According to the U.S. Department of Defense, former President Theodore Roosevelt called Johnson one of the five bravest Americans to serve in World War I.

After his death in July 1929, Johnson was awarded the Purple Heart in 1996, the Distinguished Service Cross in 2003, and most recently, the Medal of Honor in 2015.

MORE: Fort Bragg to be renamed Fort Liberty among Army bases losing Confederate names: Exclusive

More names are expected to be changed through the renaming campaign, including Georgia's Fort Gordon changed to Fort Eisenhower to commemorate Army General Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Virginia's Fort A.P. Hill will be changed to honor Dr. Mary Edwards Walker.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Good!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    last year

More virtue signaling bullshit! 

For all anyone nowadays knows, this could have been named after President James K. Polk. I doubt anyone other than history geeks would tie this to the Confederacy................. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    last year

Fort Polk is being renamed Fort Johnson to honor an actual American hero instead of a damned Confederate traitor...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @2.1    last year

Had this not been published, YOU TOO were probably unaware WHOM it was named for as I said. I would go as far as saying you didn't even know the "Fort" existed.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.1    last year

Then you would be dead wrong and just trolling me personally...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @2.1.2    last year
Then you would be dead wrong and just trolling me personally

That can't be proved and I could tell you I served on that base but then we would both be wrong.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    last year
Although his record as a field commander was poor, Polk was immensely popular with his troops, and his death was deeply mourned in the Army of Tennessee. Polk's funeral service at Saint Paul's Church in Augusta, Georgia , was one of the most elaborate during the war. His friend Bishop Stephen Elliott of Georgia presided at the service, delivering a stirring funeral oration. He was buried in a location under the present-day altar. The church has a monument to Polk near the altar, and the original grave site can be visited. In 1945, his remains and those of his wife were reinterred at Christ Church Cathedral in New Orleans . [29] His grave can be found in the front floor sanctuary, to the right of the pulpit. Fort Polk in Louisiana was named in Polk's memory until 2023 . Polk was one of the war's more notable, yet controversial, political generals . Recognizing his familiarity with the Mississippi Valley, Confederate president Jefferson Davis commissioned his elevation to a high military position regardless of his lack of prior combat experience. He commanded troops in the Battle of Shiloh , the Battle of Perryville , the Battle of Stones River , the Tullahoma Campaign , the Battle of Chickamauga , the Chattanooga Campaign , and the Atlanta Campaign . He is remembered for his bitter disagreements with his immediate superior, the likewise-controversial General Braxton Bragg of the Army of Tennessee , and for his general lack of success in combat. While serving under the command of General Joseph E. Johnston , he was killed in action in 1864 during the Atlanta Campaign .

Seems that Fort Polk was named after Leonidas Polk, a confederate general

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    last year

Seems that was conveyed in the above article but thanks for the review.................

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.1    last year
For all anyone nowadays knows, this could have been named after President James K. Polk.

then what was this rant about?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.2    last year

The rant, as you call it, is about crappy governance and chasing stupid shit that not very many would even be triggered by. You know. Kind of like naming/renaming Post Offices..............not earth shattering accomplishment.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.3    last year

seems like there's only one person here that's triggered.

there's no longer a political need to appease confederate traitors in the US.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.3    last year
The rant, as you call it, is about crappy governance and chasing stupid shit that not very many would even be triggered by.

It doesn't matter how many recognize the name, America should not be honoring enemies with statues, forts, or buildings named after them

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.3    last year

Wasted millions of tax payer dollars to appease the easily offended while the infrastructure of many of these installations are crumbling.  All to appease the easily offended.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.6    last year
Wasted millions of tax payer dollars to appease the easily offended while the infrastructure of many of these installations are crumbling.

How many millions of tax payer money has DeSantis spent, and Florida lost, because Walt Disney World was vocally against his Don't Say Gay law?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.6    last year
Wasted millions of tax payer dollars to appease the easily offended while the infrastructure of many of these installations are crumbling.  All to appease the easily offended.

The infrastructure has been crumbling for decades, in the 60s and 70s it was shit and hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. It has nothing to do with appeasing anyone, the name changes are long overdue, and if the ''lost cause'' people want to piss and moan about that they are free do to so. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @2.2.8    last year
It has nothing to do with appeasing anyone

keep telling yourself that.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.9    last year
keep telling yourself that. 

the name changes are long overdue, and if the ''lost cause'' people want to piss and moan about that they are free do to so. 

Carry on.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.2.8    last year
The infrastructure has been crumbling for decades, in the 60s and 70s it was shit and hasn't changed much in the last 50 years

I don't know what infrastructure you and Jeremy are referencing, but the Unit facilities, soldier housing, family housing is always in some phase of upgrad.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.11    last year

Military housing was the subject of many investigations because it was so bad that congress enacted new laws in 2021 or 22 to address it.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.2.12    last year

DoD has been privatizing family housing for a number of years.  Some posts have good contracts for maintenance and some not so good.  Congress has been increasing oversight.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.13    last year
DoD has been privatizing family housing for a number of years.  Some posts have good contracts for maintenance and some not so good. 

That's the housing side.  Fort Liberty, isn't one of the good contracts.  Never has been.  There are family units that burnt down 2 years ago and nothing done.  They have closed several buildings that housed single soldiers due to mold, poor maintenance (structurally, electric, plumbing).  There are over 3 dozen condemned buildings.  Non training area roads (main part of the installation) that are worse than roads in Afghanistan and Iraq.  

Fayetteville and Spring Lake, NC (both border Fort Liberty to the south and north respectfully) stated they would not be changing any road names because of the cost to local businesses.  And would not foot any part of the bill to change direction signs for the same reason.  

Congress has been increasing oversight.

We've seen what a failure that has been.  If a member of congress shows up, they are taken to a "display" house and avoid the run down areas.  They never see the real conditions.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.15  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.7    last year

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     last year

Renaming the fort after Pvt. Johnson is a well-deserved honor. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @3    last year

For those who have been there, the jokes are already flying on that one.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1    last year

Other than it being in the middle of nowhere with the local town nothing more than a wide spot in the road and hot and very humid it's almost livable.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    last year

Lot's of good mudbugs.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    last year

I've only been there twice in my time in the military.  The humidity was brutal.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  1stwarrior    last year

Wonder why they didn't name it after the Houma, Choctaw, Biloxi, Chickasaw, etc.,, tribes/nations since it was placed on their lands that were taken.

Hmmmm.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @4    last year

Fort Pickett in Virginia was renamed Fort Barfoot who was a Choctaw Indian and a Medal of Honor recipient.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4.1    last year

I'm just happy that the bases are finally being named after heroes instead of traitors.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4.1.1    last year
I'm just happy that the bases are finally being named after heroes instead of traitors.

Did it keep you up at night?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year
Fort Bragg To Be Renamed Fort Liberty Among Army Bases Losing Confederate Names:

THAT was a lazy and dimwitted decision.  With all the MOH recipients that have served on Bragg they went with "Liberty".  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    last year
THAT was a lazy and dimwitted decision

On this we can agree, my favorite would have been Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, 5th Special Forces Group.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1    last year

Would have been FAR better than Liberty.  Keeps reminding me of those cheesy Liberty Insurance commercials.

What many here see as a punch in the face around Bragg / Liberty is that the old signage it said "Fort Bragg - Home of the 82d Airborne and Special Operations".  The new signs just say "Fort Liberty".

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.1    last year
What many here see as a punch in the face around Bragg / Liberty is that the old signage it said "Fort Bragg - Home of the 82d Airborne and Special Operations".  The new signs just say "Fort Liberty".

I would agree that it is a slap in the face and makes no sense to me. 

I forgot to add that Master Sargent Benavidez was a recipient of the Medal of Honor, DSC and four Purple Hearts.