╌>

House postpones Biden impeachment vote, sending matter to committees

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   Scott Wong

House postpones Biden impeachment vote, sending matter to committees
The House sent a measure to impeach President Joe Biden to committees, delaying a vote that has created headaches for Kevin McCarthy and sparked GOP infighting.

This sends the impeachment resolution to committees which could in turn bring this up for a vote in the House.

What, specifically, is the high crime and misdemeanor that justifies the impeachment of a PotUS?

Reminder of what is stated in the CotUS :

Article II, Section 4: The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors .

Treason and bribery are the examples given and set the bar for the meaning of high crimes and misdemeanors.

As predicted, the precedent for impeachment has been watered down to the point where impeachment is no longer a tool to remove a rogue PotUS but rather a partisan tool designed to merely inflict political damage.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — The Republican-controlled House voted Thursday to send a resolution to impeach President Joe Biden to a pair of committees, delaying a vote that has created massive headaches for Speaker Kevin McCarthy and sparked a nasty round of GOP infighting.

The House voted 219-208 along party lines after Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., a conservative hard-liner, huddled with McCarthy, R-Calif., on Wednesday night and agreed to forgo her push to force an impeachment vote this week. Boebert's resolution was "privileged," meaning it would have had to receive a floor vote within days without a deal with leadership.

By referring the matter to two committees — Homeland Security and Judiciary — Republicans headed off a hasty impeachment vote that most likely would have failed on the floor, infuriated conservative activists and exposed divisions in the already fragile GOP majority.

Thursday's action only delays what many see as an inevitable vote in the coming months on whether to impeach Biden. Boebert has threatened to file a "privileged resolution every day for the rest of my time here in Congress" unless the committees move rapidly to take up impeachment.

McCarthy and other Republicans had argued that a quick impeachment vote would be "premature" if it took place before Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., and Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, wrap up their sprawling investigations into Biden, his family and his administration.

The Constitution states that a president can be impeached and removed from office for "high crimes and misdemeanors." Boebert's impeachment resolution says Biden should be impeached over what she called his failure to secure the southern border with Mexico — which Boebert argues have led to violent crime and the fentanyl crisis.

Speaking to reporters after Thursday's vote, Boebert argued that her actions this week forced her party to launch an impeachment investigation.

"Nothing happens without force. And sometimes you have to shake things up to actually effect change. Washington, D.C., is broken. I came here to fix it," Boebert said on the steps of the Capitol. "And my actions to call up my privileged resolution made way to begin an impeachment inquiry into Joe Biden."

She said she hopes that the committees can complete their probes and that articles of impeachment could be brought to the floor "this year."

McCarthy said he didn't give Boebert a timeline because he doesn't determine how quickly committees do their work. And he said that if GOP lawmakers decide to unilaterally force impeachment votes without the support of colleagues, "they probably won't go anywhere."

"Because I think we work as a team, not as individuals," he said.

Top Democrats argued that House Republicans' actions this week demonstrated the GOP is beholden to "MAGA extremism" and Donald Trump. On Wednesday, Republicans voted to censure Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., one of Trump's fiercest critics, for his role in investigations into the former president.

"House Republicans are focused on their extremism and their conspiracy theories and bending the knee to Donald Trump," Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., told reporters Thursday.

"House Republicans have no agenda, no vision, no plan to deal with the economy, job creation, health care, gun safety or anything that matters to the American people," he said, "and that's what this week once again shows."

Scott Wong is a senior congressional reporter for NBC News.

Kyle Stewart and Rebecca Kaplan contributed.

Red Box Rules

Trump is off topic.

This is a specific question on the justification to call for an impeachment of Biden.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    last year

If you were a member of Congress, would you draft articles of impeachment for Biden ... and, if so, what are the counts that qualify as "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors"?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @1    last year

Yes I would. The reasons are obvious and several. Don't run and hide behind some silly rule.

But before I answer that, what are the counts that qualify as "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors" against Trump in the two failed attempts to impeach him?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

Trump is off topic.   Follow the Red Box rules.   Only warning.

Yes I would. The reasons are obvious and several.

State the reasons.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    last year

Taking millions in bribes from foreign countries through several shell companies (in an attempt to hide it) in return for exerting political influence.

This text from Hunter alone is enough for impeachment.

Shapley's testimony, which was held on May 26 and was publicly released by the Ways and Means Committee on Thursday, included a message from Biden's son, Hunter, to Chinese businessman Henry Zhao, the president and CEO of Harvest Fund Management. The messages were reportedly obtained from Hunter Biden's iCloud account. "We obtained a July 30th, 2017, WhatsApp message from Hunter Biden to Henry Zhao, where Hunter Biden wrote: 'I am sitting here with my father and we would like to understand why the commitment made has not been fulfilled. Tell the director that I would like to resolve this now before it gets out of hand, and now means tonight. And, Z, if I get a call or text from anyone involved in this other than you, Zhang, or the chairman, I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows and my ability to forever hold a grudge that you will regret not following my direction. I am sitting here waiting for the call with my father,'" read the testimony.

Brandon needs to be impeached, period. I don't really give a damn if Democrats and leftists pull their normal BS and stone wall it in the Senate. This isn't one of their political for show only impeachments. Brandon using his position of power to extort money isn't legal.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.2    last year

You might have a point for impeachment, but it will have to be borne out by facts (details). For instance: What commitment is being discussed there?  Was V.P. Biden actually present (beside) Hunter? And what power did Biden (if actually involved) have to bring against "Z"?

Also, that 'discovery' is against a V.P. Biden and not against President Biden (if it is legitimate). How can it be honored against a sitting president?

Finally, I presume you would like WITNESSES at the senate trial, but, but, but. . . remember good ole Mitch McConnell did not allow witnesses in his "show."  :)

How about that (whataboutism)?

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    last year
Right Wing Watch
Rep. Lauren Boebert claims that she is forcing a House vote on impeaching President Biden because she is "directed and led" by "the spirit of God" in everything she does: "We are doing what is right, what is righteous. History will prove that."
So God made her do it? Why didn't Spirit tell her that it is not the job of a democratic president to fulfill the whims of a republican congress?
Is this all because (I read) Boebert is going. . . BROKE ?! 

Lauren Boebert's financial filing suggests the congresswoman is close to broke

And this:
The Republican who may have objected to the resolution the most, however, is one who also wants to impeach Biden. Rep. Greene, who in May submitted a separate resolution to impeach the president, confronted Boebert on the House floor on Wednesday, calling her a “little bitch” during the exchange.  

Greene didn’t hold back when talking to reporters later on Wednesday. “She has genuinely been a nasty little bitch to me,” Greene told Semafor , adding that she felt Boebert’s resolution was an attention ploy “purely for fundraising.” 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @2    last year

So, per some people, a reason for impeaching Biden is because God says to do so?

(I know you do not hold that position.)

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  TᵢG @2.1    last year

Clearly Boebert has gotten her politics interlaced with her religious passions! It is as if she is saying God told her that she will a success in congress, if she displays spunk!

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    last year

RESOLUTION
Impeaching Joseph R. Biden, Jr., President of the United
States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3    last year

Not to worry.

There is about a ZERO per cent chance that Biden will be removed from office through impeachment.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    last year

Do you think this is a proper use of the impeachment provision of the CotUS?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    last year
Do you think this is a proper use of the impeachment provision of the CotUS?

Nope.

I don't think it matters what you or I think about it because we are not a party to the action.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that Biden will ever be removed via impeachment and won't waste energy getting worked up over it.

There is enough folks seeming almost apopletic over it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    last year
I don't think it matters what you or I think about it because we are not a party to the action.

The point of the seed is to discuss the proper use of impeachment in this case.   

Of course nothing we say here matters in the big picture.   I think we all understand that the net opinions of NT will not influence the impeachment proceedings.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    last year
The point of the seed is to discuss the proper use of impeachment in this case. 

Okay.

I'll come back when impeachment actually occurs or is at least passed by vote in the House.

After seeing the articles of impeachment I will be able to offer you my opinion on whether they are proper or not.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    last year

I am not worried about Biden being thrown out of office, especially since he is fully aware of conservatives scrutinizing his every move. (Something Donald Trump should have taken notice and appropriate actions to avoid twice.) It is unfortunate and disturbing that several impeachment resolutions, plural, are bandied around as a tool of distraction against an officer of the government doing his job properly, nevertheless.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  CB  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    last year

The threat of impeachment is to deter. The process of impeachment is to manage "unreasonable" and "unforgivable" misdemeanors and crimes committed by officers of the government.  Policy differences (when they occur and they do often) are par for the course between congress, administrations, and courts. Even anger and outrage too. But when it comes to misdemeanors and crimes in office, congress can consider itself:

What would it take for a congressperson to be kicked out of a term in office?

It is likely something something of that type and degree of activity or of course worse would be sufficient to remove a president. Not a policy difference or a president holding a different stance on a border issue than congress!

CB
Professor Principal
3.2  CB  replied to  CB @3    last year
RESOLUTION
Impeaching Joseph R. Biden, Jr., President of the United
States, for high crimes and misdemeanors .

Page 3.

President Biden has intentionally facilitated a complete and total invasion at the southern border. President
Biden ended the Migrant Protection Protocols to require aliens seeking asylum to remain in Mexico while being
processed by the Department of Homeland Security.

President Biden has closed Department of Homeland Security
 detention facilities and refused to cooperate with State and local law enforcement officials in securing the
border. He has allowed illegal aliens to enter the United States as asylum seekers despite knowing they did not
qualify for asylum. President Biden has pursued this open-border agenda purposefully and willfully, circum-
venting every safeguard, check, and balance required by law, resulting in mass illegal immigration into the United
States, to the detriment of the American people.

President Biden, with such conduct, has demonstrated a failure to
uphold Federal immigration law, violating his oath to the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in
a manner grossly incompatible with the rule of law and to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.

Wherefore, President Biden, by such conduct, warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification
to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

The hard part for Boebert's 'team' will be proving this charge to a democratic party led senate, and may be even so to some critical-thinking republicans (in the House).

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.2.1  Thomas  replied to  CB @3.2    last year
President Biden has pursued this open-border agenda purposefully and willfully, circum-venting every safeguard, check, and balance required by law, resulting in mass illegal immigration into the United States, to the detriment of the American people.

Hyperbole flies with the uneducated or party voter, but does not hold up when it is false.