╌>

AOC Says Student-Debt Ruling Will Bring Economic Crisis for Borrowers

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  41 comments

By:   Eliza Relman, Noah Sheidlower, Ayelet Sheffey (Business Insider)

AOC Says Student-Debt Ruling Will Bring Economic Crisis for Borrowers
"We still have the power to cancel and must use it, or we're looking at an economic crisis for millions of people," Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) speaks during a news conference with Democratic lawmakers about the Biden administrations border politics, outside the U.S. Capitol on January 26, 2023 in Washington, DC. Drew Angerer/Getty Images top-left.svg bottom-right.svg Redeem now

• Rep. Ocasio-Cortez condemned the Supreme Court's ruling striking down Biden's student debt plan.
  • The New York Democrat called on Biden to continue working to get borrowers relief.
  • She also accused the Supreme Court of corruption.

Top editors give you the stories you want — delivered right to your inbox each weekday. Loading Something is loading. Thanks for signing up! Access your favorite topics in a personalized feed while you're on the go. download the app Email address By clicking 'Sign up', you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider as well as other partner offers and accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez condemned the Supreme Court's Friday decision striking down President Joe Biden's student-loan forgiveness plan and called on her own party to continue fighting for student-debt relief.

Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat and prominent supporter of student-loan forgiveness, also accused the high court of corruption, arguing that recent reporting finding Justice Samuel Alito took gifts from a billionaire "undercuts its own legitimacy by putting its rulings up for sale."

"Justice Alito accepted tens of thousands of dollars in lavish vacation gifts from a billionaire who lobbied to cancel the student loan forgiveness," Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. "After the gifts, Alito voted to overturn."

The Supreme Court's decision came in two separate rulings. The high court ruled that the plaintiffs in one case, US Department of Education v. Brown , did not have standing — but the second case, Biden v. Nebraska , prevailed and the six GOP-led states had standing to sue on behalf of student-loan company, MOHELA.

The New York Democrat noted that the SCOTUS ruling does not strip away Biden's ability to pursue student-loan forgiveness. The Higher Education Act is one option for continuing loan forgiveness before payments are scheduled to resume in October.

"We still have the power to cancel and must use it, or we're looking at an economic crisis for millions of people," Ocasio-Cortez wrote in another tweet.

Last year, the Department of Education forgave $6 billion for around 200,000 defrauded students under a sweeping settlement, including students who applied for relief over seven years ago. In 2019, former President Donald Trump also wiped out debt for disabled veterans under the Total and Permanent Disability Discharge. Advocates have also pointed out that Biden could use a different act — the Higher Education Act — to provide relief.

A slew of other Democratic lawmakers issued statements condemning the student debt ruling on Friday morning and calling on the Biden administration to take additional action to get relief for borrowers.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer called the decision by the "the MAGA Republican-controlled" high court "disappointing and cruel" and vowed "the fight will not end here."

Schumer and other Democrats similarly accused Supreme Court justices of hypocrisy and corruption by receiving gifts from billionaires, while denying millions of needy Americans debt relief.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

AOC is going to be President one of these days!

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @1    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    last year

I hope to die before then.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Most of those loans were to rich kids who are earning the big bucks now and can afford to pay them back

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    last year

Most went to poor kids who didn't finish.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    last year

Lol

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    last year
Most went to poor kids who didn't finish.

Yeah, but it is a great economy now so they should be able to afford to pay their debts, being adult, educated, informed folks and all.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3.4  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    last year

True indeed.  And what about that poor little Democrat from New York who was upset on twitter about her student loans not being forgiven.  Such a shame, however will she be able to afford the payments on her $1.14 million dollar home...

Former   New York state Democrat   Sen. Alessandra Biaggi took to social media Friday to discuss the pricey student loans she had amassed during law school, despite purchasing a $1.14 million home last summer.

"In 2012, I graduated from Fordham Law School with $180,000 is student loan debt," Biaggi wrote in a tweet. "I’ve been paying loans for 11 years. Even paid two of them off completely."

"In 2023, my balance is $206,000," added Biaggi, who represented New York's 34th district during her three-year tenure in the state Senate.

NY Democrat complains about her student debt after SCOTUS ruling, gets slammed for million dollar home | Fox News

George
Junior Expert
1.3.5  George  replied to  Snuffy @1.3.4    last year
"In 2012, I graduated from Fordham Law School with $180,000 is student loan debt," Biaggi wrote in a tweet. "I’ve been paying loans for 11 years. Even paid two of them off completely." "In 2023, my balance is $206,000," added Biaggi, who represented New York's 34th district during her three-year tenure in the state Senate.

Please tell me she isn’t on any finance committees. Math is hard, it’s even harder if you are stupid. 
She was smart enough to get a undergraduate degree, and then pass law school. But some how start with 180,000 in loans, pay 2 off and have 206,000 left after paying on them for 11 years? That must be the modern math we hear so much about.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.3.6  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    last year

I don't care if it went to rich kids, poor kids or middle class kids. They should have known at the time they took out the loans and should have had some idea of what they could expect in pay before they took the loans out. Just because they now don't feel it right that they need to make good on their agreement., It is not my problem. 

If I was an employer I would not want to hire anyone that applied for the forgiveness program because I don't feel I could trust them. 

I went to college and got my degree without owing anybody any thing. Granted I went to a JC and then to a State run university and not a Yale or Harvard school but I still got a good education. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @1.3.6    last year

I wonder why so many are willing to shirk their responsibilities and why so many are cheering for this crap.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @1.3.6    last year

you know what's funny is that the same people cheering for people to skate on their bills would be having kittens if a deadbeat dad decided not to pay child support.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.3.9  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.8    last year

I would join them in punishing the deadbeat dad. I don't necessarily think it is fair to make a man that does not want a child to pay for one that the mother wanted, he new that was a possibility and that the law and the courts will hold him responsible. Sometimes it is a father who loses custody of his kids thru divorce and at one time he did want them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @1.3.9    last year

My point is we expect fathers or mothers to pay child support because it is their obligation, just like taking out a loan is an obligation.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.3.11  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    last year

Then they shouldn't have gone in the first place.

College isn't for everyone. That is a notion that Democrats have to get over. Some people will be better off in the military; some will be better over going to trade school; and some will never progress beyond being in the service industry.

Racking up massive college debt with no chance to finish is just asinine. It isn't the rest of our fault; we shouldn't have to pay for their failure.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.4  MonsterMash  replied to  JBB @1    last year
AOC is going to be President one of these days!

Not before Hillary jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.5  bugsy  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Then we really would be the movie "Idiocracy".

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.6  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Oh God I hope not. As bad as Biden is she is even worse. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.1  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @1.6    last year

Which is why I hope I am dead before that idiot gets even a whiff of the WH.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.6.2  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.1    last year

Nope. I want to be alive so I can campaign and vote against her then go and laugh in her face and ridicule her. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.3  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @1.6.2    last year
I want to be alive so I can campaign and vote against her then go and laugh in her face and ridicule her. 

I can understand that.

I thought that once, too.

Then I realized that if the country is fucked up enough to have the likes of AOC as a serious contender for the Presidency, which is miles above how fucked up we are now, I want no part in it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    last year

She's the personification of a type of ignorant progressive who has no clue what Congress does, nor the executive, nor the role of the Supreme Court.  After the Court banned racial discrimination yesterday, she was whining that it didn't ban legacy preferences. Putting aside what possible Constitutional basis there could be for such a claim, she literally thinks the Court can just issues rules because it feels  like it, whether the issue is  actually being litigated before the Court or not.  She thinks if a policy is a good thing, it must be Constitutional and someone can just order it into law.  And if the Court does something she doesn't like, she's made clear the other branches and the country should just ignore the Court. 

The founders designed a government with three branches, thinking that keep any one branch from dominating the others. It's predicated on the concept that members of any branch will in fact defend their branches power. The founders did not foresee an AOC, who combines  so much ideological rigidity with all encompassing  ignorance that she would happily destroy her branch of government in service of a President who rules in a way she likes.

If she wants debt relief, PASS A LAW to do so. IT'S HER JOB to pass a law democratically, not to allow a President/Dictator to simply issue an order making it so.  That she would support a President illegally running roughshod over the prerogatives of Congress shows how dangerous she is.  It's not the Court's job to create law out of thin air, it's not the President's job to dictate them, it's her job to enact them. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    last year
IT'S HER JOB to pass a law democratically

If only the system actually worked that way.  

In reality, it's her job to say whatever she needs to say to get re-elected.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    last year

Seems rather odd that college-educated folks would have trouble paying back loans in this robust Biden economy. It makes no sense at all.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @3    last year

Lol ….. exactly.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4  MonsterMash    last year

AOC wants her own student loan debt forgiven.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  MonsterMash @4    last year

AOC won't qualify, makes more than $125,000.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @4.1    last year

She makes much more than that illegally funneling campaign funds to her boy friend's company.

And she isn't exactly popular with her fellow Democrats.

AOC is toxic firebrand #1 . A perfect follow up to Brandon.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Besides being illegal, the Biden plan would have been a giveaway to high-income households. The $250K household is in our countries 93rd income percentile.  Even lower income borrowers now are likely to move up the income scale over time with there degrees.

If the government really needs to borrow another half a trillion for spending, isn't something like pre-K education for poor kids more important and targeted?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
6  Right Down the Center    last year

Hard to argue with that.

aoc_quote.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @6    last year

Sadly, I am sure that makes sense to fawning leftists.

One will probably be along shortly to try to sell us how absolutely brilliant AOC is.

Sometimes they can be pretty creative about it. too..

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    last year

AOC is correct.  But I am surprised and dejected that there aren't any discussions about the some of the holders of these debts.  Betsy DeVos comes to mind as do a few others and some recent fly by night LLC's.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @7    last year

The only thing AOC has done that is correct is run in a district that a "half filled glass of water with a D on it could win" Nancy Pelosi.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @7.1    last year

You've obviously never examined the list of government and private officials that received PPP forgiven loans.  Of course you haven't.  And of course you won't.

"Half filled glass of water."  ? ?  Hmm.  Explain Rep. Gohmert.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    last year

You do realize that the PPP loans were really designed to be forgiven...   

If borrowers use at least 60% of the loan to cover payroll within 8 or 24 weeks after receiving the loan, they can submit an application to have the loan forgiven. Our data shows that approximately 97% of PPP loans were used for payrolls.  Update: 10.5 million PPP loans were forgiven. Here's why. | Pandemic Oversight

You might have a better case if you could compare apples to apples.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    last year
government and private officials that received PPP forgiven loans.  Of course you haven't.  And of course you won't.

Did Congress pass the PPP program?  I'm always amazed how little understanding people who this deflection have of what's being discussed. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  Snuffy @7.1.2    last year

Yes.  That was the point, [Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    last year

Finance 101 ….. don’t borrow more than you can afford to pay back.

Guess AOC flunked that part of her fancy Ivy League education …..

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9  Right Down the Center    last year

358109150_10160898495548189_6143454304460800647_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&cb=99be929b-59f725be&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=tlmWwj9TjrEAX_Zrz3Q&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDkt50mph7Pow45ut44GyPkZpZtpGrAI_UeOqmGV9C8Zg&oe=64AB33B9