╌>

U.S. malaria patient says the disease was initially misdiagnosed

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  17 comments

By:   Aria Bendix and Phil Helsel

U.S. malaria patient says the disease was initially misdiagnosed
Stationed near the Texas-Mexico border as part of the National Guard, Christopher Shingler first noticed a fever, trouble eating and vomiting in May.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Stationed near the Texas-Mexico border as part of the National Guard, Christopher Shingler first noticed a fever, trouble eating and vomiting in May.

Medics gave the 21-year-old tests for Covid-19, and at a hospital the Brazoria County resident was told he likely had a viral infection.

In early June, after symptoms persisted, tests at a different hospital made it official: Shingler had malaria.

The disease, transmitted by mosquitoes, sickens more than 200 million people annually around the world and kills hundreds of thousands. Shingler is one of handful of people in the U.S. recently diagnosed with malaria without having traveled recently.

"I would wake up really early in the morning and I would start shaking," Shingler said. A high fever would follow and lead to vomiting.

"It was a lot of just trying my best to make myself eat something, as small as I could, which usually I was unsuccessful, or trying to drink water, which, again, I was unsuccessful," Shingler said.

New malaria cases in US trigger alert from CDC

June 28, 202302:02

Shingler's out of the hospital now and no longer nauseous. He said he lost around 15 pounds.

He was stationed on the Rio Grande River in Brownsville for most of May, working mostly at night, he said, and first felt sick on May 20.

Shingler does not know how he got malaria or from where. He said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been in contact with him as officials try and find the source.

"We were getting torn up by mosquitoes, chiggers, whatever you can think of, you can name," Shingler said. "We were getting torn up the entire time we were out there, especially that first night."

But he is not aware of anyone else from his unit who felt sick.

The CDC this week issued a health alert about five cases of malaria acquired within the U.S. over the last two months, meaning they weren't linked to international travel.

The cases — four in Florida and one in Texas — are the first locally acquired in the U.S. in 20 years. The CDC said the risk throughout the country remains extremely low.

Malaria cases in the U.S. are more commonly found among people who have traveled outside the country.

The disease is most common in African countries, according to the World Health Organization. In 2021, there were an estimated 247 million cases worldwide, with around 619,000 deaths.

Malaria does not spread person to person. Instead, it is caused by a parasite carried by a mosquito — most often female Anopheles mosquitoes, according to the WHO.

All five patients in the U.S. have gotten treatment and are recovering, according to the CDC.

The health agency urged people to protect themselves against mosquitoes by wearing long-sleeved clothes and pants and using insect repellent. It also suggested getting rid of standing water, where mosquito eggs are laid and take other steps to control the insects.

Shingler said he did not expect to get malaria. He urged people to wear bug spray if they are working outdoors around mosquitoes.

"I didn't fully grasp how impactful this was until I was reading the news and I saw article after article after article saying, 'Hey, the first ever case of malaria locally in Texas in 20 years,' he said. "I was like, 'Wow, that's actually kind of crazy.'"

"I don't think anybody even thought that that was a thing that could happen," he added. "At the end of the day, I think it was just pure coincidence that I happened to get it."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    last year
'Hey, the first ever case of malaria locally in Texas in 20 years,' he said. "I was like, 'Wow, that's actually kind of crazy.'"

Which is likely why he was misdiagnosed.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    last year

This article, too, doesn't mention the possibility that illegal aliens could be carrying infected mosquitos into the USA.

GregTx
Professor Guide
2.1  GregTx  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    last year

I doubt that they're carrying infected mosquitoes into the US, more likely that some of them have malaria and are being fed upon by skeeters that don't discriminate.  Kinda like how zika wound up here.....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  GregTx @2.1    last year

I don't know. Our youngest physicians have never seen (or treated) malaria.

Locally acquired mosquito-borne malaria has not occurred in the United States since 2003

In 1949, the country was declared free of malaria as a significant public health problem. By 1951, CDC gradually withdrew from active participation in the operational phases of the program and shifted its interest to surveillance, and in 1952, CDC participation in operations ceased altogether.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    last year

They don't mention infected mosquitos being carried anywhere because mosquitos are independently mobile.

Infection could be introduced by legal tourists to the US.  Or from US citizens visiting elsewhere and returning.  The only person I ever met who had malaria was a US citizen who had visited Africa and caught it there.

Nobody is focused on illegal immigration causing the spread because we know it's spread by mosquitos, and the existence of mosquitos is pretty much a running joke in many areas of the country, but especially in the south.  Mosquitos are annoyingly oblivious of borders.  I can't get them to stop at the edge of my yard.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2    last year

The biggest mosquitos I ever encountered were in Alaska, Canada and MN ran a close 2nd.

I read that four of the five malaria cases were in Florida, damn mosquitos didn't fly in from Cuba but you have to watch out for Georgia we have a very porous border with Georgia. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.2.1    last year
The biggest mosquitos I ever encountered were in Alaska,

Same here. We distinguished between bombers and fighters

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    last year

I remember getting chiggers when in Tennessee, the itching was remarkably 'ridiculous' in its own right on my legs and always at night.

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    last year

This parasite containing the malaria virus, being that mosquitoes bite into blood vessels, causes a  blood sickness?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @4    last year

More like a needle puncture into a capillary.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    last year

Not quite what I expected as an answer to my question. That said, at least you replied, others (who may know the answer) chose not to do so.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
4.2  bccrane  replied to  CB @4    last year

Malaria is a parasite, not a virus, that is carried by infected mosquitoes which involves the blood system.  It is similar to Lyme's disease which is also a parasite carried by ticks, but this parasite, associated with Lyme's disease, attacks the nervous systems instead of blood system.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.1  CB  replied to  bccrane @4.2    last year

I will have to look into it more. Thank you for sharing insight!

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.2  CB  replied to  CB @4.2.1    last year

Malaria Lifecycle Part 1: Human Host (2016)

Thanks for sharing, bccrane! Got me to go farther!  Now I understand this better!  :)

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     last year

Malaria was quite prevalent in Vietnam and there were a couple of meds developed during WWII. We all took ''horse pills'' to stay clear of it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @5    last year

Wasn't quinine used as a preventative?

Waykwabu
Freshman Silent
6  Waykwabu    last year

I caught malaria a couple of times whilst working in the tropics.  As medical aid was not close handy, we were given the required medication to keep  in our first aid kit, and taught how to self administer correctly.   only in extreme cases was external assistance called in.