╌>

Johnny Mathis

Category:  Entertainment

By:  john-russell  •  10 months ago  •  15 comments

Johnny Mathis

I just saw an advertisement on tv for a Johnny Mathis Christmas concert here in the Chicago area for Dec 9th.  At that point mathis will be 88 years old. Doesnt anyone know how to retire anymore? 

Having sold 360 million records, he sure isnt hurting for money. 

-

related

John Royce Mathis   (born September 30, 1935) is an American singer of   popular music . Starting his career with singles of   standard music , Mathis became highly popular as an album artist, with several dozen of his albums achieving   gold or platinum   status and 73 making the   Billboard   charts . Mathis has received the   Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award   and has been inducted into the   Grammy Hall of Fame   for three recordings.

Mathis is the third best-selling artist of the 20th century, selling 360 million records worldwide. [2] [3]  

Although frequently described as a romantic singer, his discography includes   traditional pop ,   Latin American ,   soul ,   rhythm and blues ,   show tunes ,   Tin Pan Alley ,   soft rock ,   blues ,   country music , and even a few   disco   songs for his album   Mathis Magic   in 1979. Mathis has also recorded six albums of   Christmas music . In a 1968 interview, he cited   Lena Horne ,   Nat King Cole , and   Bing Crosby   among his musical influences. [4]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    10 months ago

Never been much of a Johnny Mathis fan but I did like this song back in the day

WHAT WILL MY MARY SAY

and 

CHANCES ARE

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    10 months ago

I was always a big fan. It is amazing that any singer can maintain some of the dynamic sound of their prime years into old age, but Johnny has managed to at least sound better than what the kids are listening to today.

I think he broke a lot of female fan's hearts when he came out.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    10 months ago
Doesnt anyone know how to retire anymore? 

Right? It’s hard to imagine he can sing worth a damn anymore. Maybe it just gives him a reason to get up in the morning.

Elton John (76) finally did his last concert a couple days ago - in Stockholm, I think. His farewell tour took like 5 years, thanks to Covid. Glad I got to see him in the 80s.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @2    10 months ago

Mathis probably uses autotune. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    10 months ago

Ugh!

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    10 months ago

The stage, the audience, it draws you....

CB
Professor Principal
3.1  CB  replied to  Ender @3    10 months ago

Speaking of Lady Gaga: "I live for the Applause!"

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    10 months ago

Tony Bennett, who has Alzheimer’s, just released an album of new material at 95. Apparently, when he’s singing, he becomes pretty lucid.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    10 months ago

Smokey Robinson 83, has a new album and is touring! Can't you just "feel" the excitment?

Fn14ukkXkAQg-Dn?format=jpg&name=360x360 Fn14usmWYAI6_MS?format=jpg&name=small

I don't know how it sounds so. . .reserving judgement. But I feel sure there is some photoshopping done on the picture above. Also, with individuals throwing stuff and hitting top-notch performers anybody in their Eighties might want to wear a helmet with a visor on stage! 

And why oh why is this man who has money galore from all this lifetime of hits making and songwriting, making songs about-wait for it: "P-JJ" and 'Bird'?

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     10 months ago

Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga live on his 95th birthday. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    10 months ago

I just read where that kid Harry Styles got hit by something while on stage.

Not a fan of his and couldn't even name a song of his but what the hell is wrong with people.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    10 months ago

The Beach Boys have been through a lot, but they still have those rockin' harmonies...

The Beach Boys Live in Concert 50th Anniversary. - YouTube

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @8    10 months ago

I was just thinking of Brian Wilson the other day when it was so hot that I had to draw the blinds, shut all the doors and turn on the AC.

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    10 months ago

Ronald Isley  (82) and Earnie Isley (71): The Isley Brothers, still front the group/band. And have 2023 tour dates!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10  Jasper2529    10 months ago
Doesnt anyone know how to retire anymore?  he sure isnt hurting for money. 

The same can be said - for different reasons - about Frank Sinatra, Charles Aznavour, Elvis, Paul Anka, and Joe Biden "performing" past their primes. There's a fan nostalgia associated with this, too.

I know of a little-known female pianist/teacher, now deceased, whose pianistic skills and memory were impeccable even at the age of 97 - Beatrice Allen.

Do they all continue for money? I doubt it.