╌>

Trust in higher education drops to new low: Poll

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  32 comments

By:   Washington Examiner

Trust in higher education drops to new low: Poll
The public's trust in higher education institutions nationwide sharply declined in the past year, according to a new Gallup poll.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The public's trust in higher education institutions nationwide sharply declined in the past year, according to a new Gallup poll.

The survey, released on Tuesday, found high confidence in colleges and universities dropped to 36% among U.S. adults, with 17% saying they have "a great deal" of confidence and 19% saying they had "quite a lot." This year's data marks a historic low for trust in higher education since the record of 48% in 2018.

Additionally, 40% said they have "some" confidence in 2023. The remaining 22% were recorded to have "very little."

In 2015, 57% trusted the role that higher education played in the U.S., according to a Gallup poll conducted then.

While all major subgroups indicated a substantial drop in the last eight years, Republicans had the lowest score with a 19% confidence rating — 37 percentage points down from 2015. Comparatively, the latest poll showed independent voters with 32% and Democrats with 59%.

"While Gallup did not probe for reasons behind the recent drop in confidence, the rising costs of postsecondary education likely play a significant role," Gallup's press release read.

The polling company also noted one of its past surveys found Republicans primarily expressed concern about politics on campus, whereas Democrats cited costs as higher education worries.

The Gallup poll, which was part of a larger report that measured trust across 16 national institutions, surveyed 1,013 U.S. adults from June 1-22. The higher education poll had a margin of error of 4%.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

To the surprise of nobody.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Pretty much every week there's a story demonstrating just how crazy and out of touch faculty and administrators are. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
2  Hallux    last year

Republicans had the lowest score with a 19% confidence rating ...

Gee, I wonder why, it certainly can't be because the 'modern' GoP and their version of the MSM has been trashing them non-stop for several years could it? They've been doing it to just about every other institution. /s

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2    last year

Or it could be a plethora of negative articles about how colleges are limiting free speech and about how students are allowed to shout down those they disagree with (note: IF they are conservatives being silenced.

Or a story about how the term "biological women" is somehow offensive to liberals on campuses now.

It could be the number of radicals education has celebrated and elevated, especially some of those who committed criminal acts.

It could be because of the sky-high cost of college now (thanks to liberals in large part).

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    last year
"biological women" is somehow offensive

'Biological men' really need to stop whining.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.1.1    last year
'Biological men' really need to stop whining.

OMG, I am SOOOOOO offended by that term!

LOL!

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    last year

Hey, it's not easy to make you laugh. You're welcome.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.1.3    last year
Hey, it's not easy to make you laugh.

That isn't at all true.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2    last year

Okay.

To what do you attribute 68% of independents and 41% of Democrats who, according to the survey, have a very similar outlook as Republicans?

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    last year

To what? Let's start with polarization fertilized with the manure spread on social sites. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.2  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    last year

50% are below average intelligence!

The same half are under educated... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.2.2    last year
Because 50% are below average intelligence! Basically the same half are under educated... 

So you think independents and Democrats are below average intelligence and undereducated.

That is a very interesting admission.

I can't say you are wrong about that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.2.1    last year
To what? Let's start with polarization fertilized with the manure spread on social sites. 

You gave your version of an explanation as to why you think the Republicans gave education low marks.

All I am asking is what do you attribute to independents and many Democrats feeling the same way as Republicans do about it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.2.1    last year
Let's start with polarization fertilized with the manure spread on social sites. 

Are independents and Democrats susceptible to that sort of thing?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.2.2    last year
50% are below average intelligence!

Where did you get that figure?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.6    last year
Where did you get that figure?

Let him run with it.

He is talking about Democrats and independents.

Maybe we need to start grading them on a curve?

You know, like giving them at least 50% because they are alive?

GregTx
Professor Guide
2.2.8  GregTx  replied to  JBB @2.2.2    last year

You think that many came from Oklahoma?....

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    last year
Maybe we need to start grading them on a curve?

I think that it would be more progressive to do away with grading altogether.  After all, that system incentivizes the end result over the learning process.  Students are there to grow through collaboration, not take tests or turn in individual papers.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @2.2.8    last year

Interestingly enough, average IQ in Oklahoma and New York are virtually the same.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    last year

Gender wars from A-Z+ as waged by either side have succeeded in only a heap of pyrrhic victories devoid of any shock and awe ... it's all oh so chock full of fake offense ... in a word boring.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.9    last year
Students are there to grow through collaboration, not take tests or turn in individual papers.

Seems to work in Norway.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.2.11    last year

I didn't even mention gender.

I was just wondering what your excuse for independents and many Democrats agreeing with Republicans is.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.13    last year
I didn't even mention gender.

Oh dear, I'll try to narrow my responses the next time ... keep them off that dull organic path so to speak.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.2.14    last year
Oh dear, I'll try to narrow my responses

Just somewhat related to my posts is all I'm asking for.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.6    last year

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @2.2.12    last year

And we need it here.  Students are paying too much to flunk out.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    last year

Highlighting Academia’s progressive march to insanity.

For proof of same look no further than this seed and our resident academia crazies …..

freepress
Freshman Silent
4  freepress    last year

After so many students have been ripped off by for profit "colleges" that don't measure up to real life standards, it's no wonder there is no confidence.

The right wing is perpetually trying to lower standards with "for profit" charter schools that do not prepare students for higher education. "Trump University" was such a complete scandal he paid out a class action suit to settle, just so it wouldn't interfere with his campaign. 

At least the new administration is now trying to fund more Trade School training and Community College for students who don't want to go through higher education. 

The right wing wants to demean higher education while at the same time also fight against student loan forgiveness for so many students who paid for nothing anyway.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  freepress @4    last year

Is it the right wing who wants to give kids a 50% minimum for being alive, no matter what work was done?

No one made anyone take out those loans. They should pay their legal debts.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    last year

The urgent need to forgive student debt is not a rousing endorsement of higher education.  Biden is undermining trust in colleges and universities with his Big Government politics.  If a college degree doesn't allow someone to even pay for their own education then what's the point?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Nerm_L @5    last year
The urgent need to forgive student debt is not a rousing endorsement of higher education.  Biden is undermining trust in colleges and universities with his Big Government politics.  If a college degree doesn't allow someone to even pay for their own education then what's the point?

It is an elaborate vote-buying scheme.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2  Sparty On  replied to  Nerm_L @5    last year
If a college degree doesn't allow someone to even pay for their own education then what's the point?

BAZINGA!!!