╌>

Former Manson Family Member Leslie Van Houten Is Released on Parole

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  10 months ago  •  10 comments

By:   Derrick Bryson Taylor - NYT

Former Manson Family Member Leslie Van Houten Is Released on Parole

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Leslie Van Houten, a former Charles Manson follower who played a role in the gruesome double murder of a Los Angeles couple in the summer of 1969, was released on parole on Tuesday after serving more than half a century in prison, according to her lawyer.

Ms. Van Houten’s lawyer, Nancy Tetreault, said she was taken early Tuesday morning to transitional housing at an undisclosed location. “She’s going to have to learn to live in the world after 53 years in prison,” Ms. Tetreault said in an interview. “So that’s going to take some time.”

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation confirmed her release. Ms. Van Houten will have “three-year maximum parole term,” according to Mary Xjimenez, a department spokeswoman.

The office of California Gov. Gavin Newsom said this month that it would not challenge her release. Mr. Newsom had reversed Ms. Van Houten’s parole grant three times since taking office,   most recently in March 2022 .

“The Governor is disappointed by the Court of Appeal’s decision to release Ms. Van Houten but will not pursue further action as efforts to further appeal are unlikely to succeed,” a spokeswoman for the governor said.

Ms. Van Houten was 19 when she and other members of the so-called Manson family broke into the home of wealthy grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary, and stabbed them dozens of times on Aug. 10, 1969.

The LaBiancas were murdered   one night after five people were killed   at the home of movie director Roman Polanski — including his pregnant wife, the actress Sharon Tate. The murders were carried out at the direction of Charles Manson, one of the most notorious murderers of the 20th century,   who died in 2017 at age 83 .

In 1971, Ms. Van Houten was convicted on two counts of murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder. She was initially sentenced to death, but her sentence was reduced to life in prison when capital punishment was outlawed in California the next year.

Ms. Van Houten has not been shy about her role in the killings,   saying in a parole board hearing in 2002   that she had pinned down Ms. LaBianca while another Manson family member, Patricia Krenwinkel, stabbed her in the collar bone. Charles D. Watson, another figure in the attack, stabbed Ms. LaBianca with a bayonet eight times before Ms. Van Houten then stabbed her in the abdomen 14 to 16 times.

At the crime scene, Ms. Van Houten had wiped down surfaces for fingerprints, changed clothes and drank chocolate milk from the couple’s refrigerator, parole records showed.

Years later, Ms. Van Houten said that she regretted taking part in the murders and that she had been mentally ill, a condition aggravated by LSD use.

“I believed that he was Jesus Christ,” Ms. Van Houten said of Mr. Manson. “I bought into it lock, stock and barrel.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    10 months ago

53 years? That's about 40 years longer than she would have served in Canada.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    10 months ago

... meet the local walmart's newest front entrance greeter.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    10 months ago
meet the local walmart's newest front entrance greeter.

Or the next college professor.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    10 months ago

trump university has been shuttered for a few years now...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    10 months ago
trump university has been shuttered for a few years now.

I'm relieved you have kept up with the times.

I was referring to a state college or university.

The liberals running them love them some criminal types for professors.

Angela Davis, Kathy Boudin, Bernardine Dohrn, Bill Ayres, etc. Maybe you have even heard of these folks!

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    10 months ago

Ah yes, the perennial boogiemen of the right ... Tucker C. and Andrew B. loved going over to Bill's and Bernadette's for supper parties. Andrew and Bill planned a cross-country roadtrip at one of them, unfortunately Andrew died and the 'world' missed what would have been a hoot of a travelogue.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.4    10 months ago

Well, that's all well and good, as is your acknowledgment that colleges DO hire criminals and terrorists as long as they are perceived to be that way for liberal causes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.4    10 months ago

I am willing to bet your tune might be JUST a little different if colleges start hiring those folks convicted regarding January 6.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    10 months ago

I'm all in on Jacob Chansley teaching Q-anthropology ... maybe The Great Courses (my fave TV channel of late) will hire him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.7    10 months ago
I'm all in on Jacob Chansley teaching Q-anthropology. 

Sounds like someone that a college in Cali would hire. Or in Chicago or NYC.