╌>

Ron DeSantis Floats Changes to Social Security for Younger Generations

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  22 comments

By:   Darragh Roche (Newsweek)

Ron DeSantis Floats Changes to Social Security for Younger Generations
The Republican presidential hopeful has suggested Social Security changes for people in their 30s and 40s.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has said that changes in Social Security for younger people might have to be made to keep the program "viable" in the future.

DeSantis, who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination for 2024, made the remarks during an interview with Fox News' Mediabuzz on Sunday where he said Social Security for seniors should not be affected.

The Republican is competing for his party's nomination against a wide field of opponents but former President Donald Trump continues to be the frontrunner—and he's attacked DeSantis on the issue of Social Security in the past.

During Sunday's interview, DeSantis was asked about his previous support for privatizing Social Security and raising the retirement age to 70 while he was in the House of Representatives.

"Well, I've always said 'promise made, promise kept.' I'm a governor of Florida. Of course, we're going to protect people's Social Security," the governor replied. "My grandmother passed away when she was 91. That was her sole source of income. And that's true for millions of seniors. And so that goes without saying."

"So when people say that we're gonna somehow cut seniors—that is totally not true," DeSantis went on

"Talking about making changes for people in their 30s or 40s so that the program's viable —you know, that's a much different thing and that's something that I think that there's going to need to be discussions on," he said.

The governor said that his current position on Social Security didn't represent a change in his views and discussed the lack of a surplus for the program.

"We gotta make sure that we preserve it for our seniors 'cause they depend on it," DeSantis said.

Newsweek has reached out to the DeSantis campaign via email for comment.

The 2023 annual report from the Social Security Board of Trustees found that funds that support Social Security will be depleted by 2034, which will cause an automatic reduction in the level of benefits that are paid out.

According to the AARP: "That does not mean Social Security will no longer be around; it means the system will exhaust its cash reserves and will be able to pay out only what it takes in year-to-year in Social Security taxes. If this comes to pass, Social Security would be able to pay about 80 percent of the benefits to which retired and disabled workers are entitled."

Video of the Republican's remarks was shared to Twitter on Sunday by user Acyn and several other users responded to DeSantis' remarks with skepticism.

"Playing one generation against another is not a good long term strategy," tweeted user Matt Clarke 4 EFTA.

User EssenViews responded by tweeting: "Because people in the 30s and 40s will never become seniors?"

"We not screwing seniors, we're screwing the middle working class," wrote Elizabeth Kim.

However, some Twitter users defended DeSantis' argument about reforming Social Security. User mallen2023 wrote that DeSantis was "being realistic" and added that "Something has to be done or by 2033 there will be a 23% cut in all benefits."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Bye Bye Ron!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    last year

For what?

Being honest and admitting that there is a huge SS problem that needs to be fixed?

Oh, no!

Let's ignore it and just let people suffer with far less than full benefits that were promised?

Sounds like a sound strategy for Democrats.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    last year

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    last year

Oh, no!

Whatever shall we do when SS is more solvent and able to pay full benefits out for longer?

i suppose your whole solution to the SS problem is to "just tax the rich more", eh?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year

In the past, he has stated that he would like to privatize SS (or part of it) that I am against. Also I didn't see anything about raising the max contribution which also I believe that it will have to be part of the solution.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2    last year

If people have to contribute more, will their benefits increase accordingly?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    last year
If people have to contribute more, will their benefits increase accordingly?

Not at the rate the government keeps raiding it.  It will be spent on some stupid shit like being sent to Ukraine.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.1    last year

I don't know if I have ever got an answer to that question, and I usually ask it when people say just raise the cap.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    last year

You won't get an answer to it.  SS is the government's go to slush fund.  Never the funds for their pathetic pet projects like a walking path in Georgia or welfare.  Always Social Security.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    last year

The ceiling on ss has been raised every year since 1976. So in effect, it seems that they would draw more from SS if they paid more into it. The max that can be paid currently on full retirement age is $3,627 monthly.

I believe that if the cap is raised that the max at full retirement would be determined by congress.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    last year
The max that can be paid currently on full retirement age is $3,627 monthly.

Then it should rise if people are forced to contribute more.

Anything other is really just wealth redistribution.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.3    last year
SS is the government's go to slush fund. 

No way, Al Gore created a lock box, somewhere in WV I think.  It's a damn big box since it holds around $3 trillion.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.6    last year
No way, Al Gore created a lock box, somewhere in WV I think. 

Clever bastard, isn't he?

First the internet and then a lockbox!

Is there nothing the man can't fix?

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2    last year

The Republicans have been trying to move SS private since Reagan. There is a lot of money to be made gambling with other people's money. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @2.2    last year

Almost all pension funds are traded on the stock market which is why some people don't have a pension today

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    last year

Almost all pension funds are traded on the stock market which is why some people don't have a pension today

Pension fund managers have to try to balance while achieving sufficient investment returns to cover the promised retirement payouts.  Fixed-income securities, usually are a large part of the pension portfolios, along with some blue-chip stocks. More recently, pensions have made small investments in real estate and alternative asset classes.

There is over $6.3 trillion in future retirement benefits promised to the public state and local employees, but just $4.9 trillion available to pay those benefits. State aggregated have a pension  delta of around $1.4 trillion, as of last year. Chicago and NYC have the largest gap in funding their employee pensions.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Kavika   replied to  evilone @2.2    last year
There is a lot of money to be made gambling with other people's money. 

The brokerage houses would be standing in line to get their mitts on some of this money. Lobby efforts (money honey) will be flowing freely to the politicians.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @2    last year
Also I didn't see anything about raising the max contribution which also I believe that it will have to be part of the solution.

Agreed, as long as it’s protected from being raided for other purposes.

All in.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year

I hate to say it but the chances of Ron DeSantis being the GOP nominee probably went up a little today. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

Great news!

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

So, he's only 15 points behind in the polls now?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @3.2    last year

Yawn, Obama was 18 points behind Clinton as late as Dec. 2007.