╌>

Tlaib labels Israel an 'apartheid state' in impassioned floor speech

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  21 comments

By:   Nick Robertson (The Hill)

Tlaib labels Israel an 'apartheid state' in impassioned floor speech
Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) harshly denounced a House resolution supporting Israel in a floor speech on Tuesday, the day before Israeli President Isaac Herzog will address a joint meeting of Congress. "Israel is an apartheid state. To assert otherwise, Mr. Speaker, in the face of this body of evidence, is an attempt to deny the…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) harshly denounced a House resolution supporting Israel in a floor speech on Tuesday, the day before Israeli President Isaac Herzog will address a joint meeting of Congress.

"Israel is an apartheid state. To assert otherwise, Mr. Speaker, in the face of this body of evidence, is an attempt to deny the reality and an attempt to normalize violence of apartheid," Tlaib said.

"Don't forget: This body, this Congress, supported the South African apartheid regime, and it was bipartisan as well," she added.

Tlaib, who is of Palestinian heritage, is one of a slate of progressive members of Congress who plan to skip Herzog's speech to Congress on Wednesday out of protest against the Israeli government.

The protests come as violence against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank has increased in recent months, and the Israeli government faces internal strife over attempted judicial reforms.

Tlaib pointed out that the United Nations as well as advocacy groups Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and B'tselem have labeled Israel an apartheid state.

The resolution supporting Israel passed overwhelmingly, with nine members of Congress — mostly Democratic members of the progressive "Squad" — voting against. It specifically states that Israel is "not a racist or apartheid state."

On Saturday, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) said Israel is a "racist state," vowing to vote against the resolution and skip Herzog's speech.

Those comments sparked calls for action from Republicans who believed the remarks were antisemitic.

Democrats have dismissed the outrage as a political squabble, but it has caused some rifts within the party.

"There is a difference between criticizing the right of Israel to exist, which is beyond the pale, and criticizing the conduct of the Israeli government, which I think is horrible," Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), who is Jewish, said Tuesday.

Herzog met with President Biden on Tuesday.

Tags Isaac Herzog Israel israel apartheid Jerry Nadler Joe Biden joint meeting of congress palestine Pramila Jayapal Rashida Tlaib

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

The resolution supporting Israel passed overwhelmingly, with nine members of Congress — mostly Democratic members of the progressive "Squad" — voting against. It specifically states that Israel is "not a racist or apartheid state."

Thus the hill to die on. There stands the 9 anti-Semitic democrats!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    last year

:Poor thing................NOT

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    last year

Joe Biden has yet to condemn it.

He never goes against the radical left. He is just a tool for them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year
"There is a difference between criticizing the right of Israel to exist, which is beyond the pale, and criticizing the conduct of the Israeli government, which I think is horrible," Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), who is Jewish, said Tuesday.

Did Tlalib deny Israel's right to exist? That is not in the story. 

I think if someone says "Israel is an apartheid state" I think generally speaking they are referring to current conditions and not what could be or should be in the past or future. 

For many months now hundreds of thousands of Israelis have been protesting in the streets against their own far right government. Yet I havent seen a single word from the American conservatives in support of these protests. Maybe supporting the Israeli protesters is the proper "hill to die on". 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year
I think if someone says "Israel is an apartheid state" I think generally speaking they are referring to current conditions and not what could be or should be in the past or future. 

That is very generous of you considering the one who said it is a rabid anti-Semite. She is also a Palestinian and they did deny Israel's right to exist. 

BTW, a good deal of the democrat (it is not democratic - it is totalitarian in nature) party, beginning with Jimmy Carter, is pro-Palestinian!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year
democrat (it is not democratic - it is totalitarian in nature) party,

You dont get to rename the Democratic Party. Unless maybe we should rename the other one to the Repooplicans. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    last year

The term democratic carries another meaning beyond a party label....A meaning which is the opposite of what the dems stand for.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.2    last year

Most , if not almost all, Republican politicians and media people call the Democratic Party the "Democrat Party''.  I guess those conservative politicians enjoy looking stupid. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    last year

I thought you believed in political correctness?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    last year
Democratic Party

a true oxymoron.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

That is a nice way to spin it but I am not sure you can say with any accuracy what "someone" "generally " means.  I think you have to look at the person saying it and then decide what they mean, assuming their words were not clear enough for you to determine that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.2    last year

Do you have evidence of Talib saying that Israel has no right to exist?  Lacking that, we can assume she is talking about a current situation. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.2.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.1    last year

I don't follow what she says so I don't know if she has or not.  If she doesn't want her words to be misinterpreted maybe she could clarify her position on their right to exist when she makes statement that can fuel people against her.  We can assume whatever we want but that still does not make it correct.  We can assume  she is talking about a current situation and we can assume she does not make her position on right to exist clear because her position would cause more problems than just being vague.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.2.2    last year

She is a rotten, angry human being.  

Here she is spazing out over Trump in 2016

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.2.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.3    last year
She is a rotten, angry human being.  

It seems that way, I find very little good about her.  But she was voted in so I guess it is what it is, for now.  I see she is Pro Palestine, I would expect that.  It seems she is against Israel's policies with regards to Palestine.  Again, IMO that is fine.  What I am not sure of is would she like Israel to disappear, would she be OK with violence against them to try and fix her perceived problem? To my knowledge she seems to stay away from clarifying her position which makes her feelings about it more than a little suspicions.

In the mean time I have no use for her or her squad.  Nancy should have told them to STFU a few years ago.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.1    last year

Did I make that claim, John?

However she has made comments such as this:

“There’s kind of a calming feeling I always tell folks when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors, Palestinians, who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people’s passports,” Tlaib said.

She is an anti-Semite John. Admit it!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.2.4    last year

Her district is Dearborn, the largest Muslim population per capita in the USA last I checked.

So there you go ……

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

Those were your boy Nadler's words. Maybe you should take it up with him. Do you think a Democrat would lie?????

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year
Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) 

Another anti-Semite in the Democrat Party.  Sadly the Democrats are good with them.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    last year

The pride of southern Michigan speaks……

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    last year

Rashida Tlaib is a state sponsor of terrorism.  But there's nothing that can be done about that.  Which explains why the US lost Afghanistan.