╌>

US judge blocks Biden's new border asylum restrictions | Reuters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilgenius  •  last year  •  5 comments

By:   Ted Hesson and Kristina Cooke (Reuters)

US judge blocks Biden's new border asylum restrictions | Reuters
A U.S. federal judge on Tuesday blocked President Joe Biden's new regulation restricting asylum access at the U.S.-Mexico border, upending a key tenet of his plan to deter migration after COVID-era Title 42 restrictions ended in May.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Ted Hesson and Kristina CookeJuly 25, 20237:39 PM UTCUpdated ago WASHINGTON, July 25 (Reuters) -

A U.S. federal judge on Tuesday blocked President Joe Biden's new regulation restricting asylum access at the U.S.-Mexico border, upending a key tenet of his plan to deter migration after COVID-era Title 42 restrictions ended in May. California-based U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar stayed the order for 14 days, leaving the restrictions in place for now. The Biden administration within hours appealed to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Biden, a Democrat, took office in 2021 pledging to reverse many of the hardline policies of former

President Donald Trump, a Republican, but has adopted some Trump-like border measures as record numbers of migrants have been caught crossing illegally. The ruling followed a legal challenge by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and other groups, who revived a 2018 case brought against similar asylum restrictions implemented by Trump that Tigar previously struck down. Biden's new asylum regulation, which took effect when Title 42 ended on May 11, presumes most migrants are ineligible for asylum if they passed through other nations without seeking protection elsewhere first, or if they failed to use legal pathways for U.S. entry. The number of migrants caught crossing the border illegally plummeted in recent months after the new regulation went

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    last year

First, this is what I've been saying every time someone opens up their yap about Biden and 'wide open borders' - 

Biden, a Democrat, took office in 2021 pledging to reverse many of the hardline policies of former President Donald Trump, a Republican, but has adopted some Trump-like border measures as record numbers of migrants have been caught crossing illegally.

Second...

The number of migrants caught crossing the border illegally plummeted in recent months after the new regulation went into place.

Third, when I ask what policies, or specifics, of what they don't like and I get a smart assed response I will conclude they have no clue what they are talking about. 

So, back to the article- the ruling was stayed for 2 weeks for the Admin to appeal and will probably go to the SCOTUS. It just goes back to my main point on the topic Admins can't do a whole lot. This is an issue only Congress can fix and they don't seem to want to. Stop with the partisan bullshit, unless you too don't want shit fixed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  evilone @1    last year

Congress hasn't fixed the problem in 50 years I would not hold my breath expecting anything from them. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Kavika @1.1    last year

But that doesn't stop the partisan idiots from pointing fingers at Presidents.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2  JBB  replied to  evilone @1    last year

The reality of the mainline pragmatic moderate workaday maka-a-deal Biden contrasts sharply with the wild eyed radical open borders liberal big spender that the gop so often paints him...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  JBB @1.2    last year
The reality of the mainline pragmatic moderate workaday maka-a-deal Biden...

The reality of modern government is the President is mostly a PR man. When they start signing a bunch of EO statements and pushing rule changes they too often get slapped in court. Now I will admit some of this stuff is political theater. Create a policy to make a statement knowing it will be slapped down and then use it for a partisan talking point. It's tiring and stupid to me, but whatever...