╌>

Sinead O'Connor dies at 56

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  last year  •  15 comments

By:   USA TODAY

Sinead O'Connor dies at 56
Sinead O'Connor, the acclaimed and controversial Irish musician, is dead at 56.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Patrick RyanUSA TODAY

Sinead O'Connor, the trailblazing Irish artist and "Nothing Compares 2 U" hitmaker, has died, according to a family statement obtained by the BBC. She was 56.

The vocalist's cause of death has not yet been revealed. USA TODAY has reached out to O'Connor's representatives for comment.

The news comes more than a year after O'Connor's 17-year-old son, Shane, died by suicide in January 2022. The singer posted a series of troubling messages to her Twitter account in the weeks following his death, writing, "I've decided to follow my son. There's no point living without him." Shane was one of O'Connor's four children.

O'Connor released her debut album, "The Lion and the Cobra" in 1987, and three years later, shot to worldwide fame with her sophomore effort "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got." The album was bolstered by lead single "Nothing Compares 2 U," a cover of Prince's 1985 song.

Her version of the ballad spent four weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, and was nominated for two Grammy Awards including record of the year and best female pop vocal performance. It was accompanied by a now-iconic music video of O'Connor in tight closeup singing directly into the camera.

Remembering those we lost:Celebrity Deaths 2023

The singer endured enormous fallout from her 1992 "Saturday Night Live" appearance, in which she tore up a picture of Pope John Paul II while singing Bob Marley's "War," in protest of child sex abuse in the Catholic Church. Religious groups burned her albums, radio stations pulled her songs, and she was loudly booed during a performance at Madison Square Garden weeks later.

But O'Connor expressed no regrets about controversial "SNL" moment, later calling it the "proudest" moment of her career.

"They all thought I should be made a mockery of for throwing my career down the drain," O'Connor said in "Nothing Compares," a documentary about her life released last year. "I didn't say I wanted to be a pop star. It didn't suit me to be a pop star. So I didn't throw away any career that I wanted. It didn't change my attitude."

This story is developing.

Contributing: Melissa Ruggieri, USA TODAY

Featured Weekly Ad

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    last year

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    last year

A troubled soul. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

Yep, exactly what I thought.

Too bad ….

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    last year

That sucks.  One of my all time favorite artists, yet I will admit that her musical best peaked long ago.  Her recent documentary is surprisingly good as well.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    last year

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    last year

There has been nothing about how she died. I fear the worst.

May she rest in peace.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    last year

[deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    last year

Yeah, it seems like they never tell you. I figure if they’re 80-something+, they died of old age, but you’d think it would be obvious that for someone this young, something special happened.

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    last year

The wife and I had just recently watched a documentary on her life. 

One of my most favorite songs. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    last year

Trolling cleaned up @5.1.